Tulips in Skagit Valley, WA

peoorvendalpeoorvendal Registered Users Posts: 45 Big grins
edited June 9, 2011 in Landscapes
Was aiming for some alternate take on the gorgeous tulip fields in Skagit Valley, Washington.

20110429-DSC4435-Edit-M.jpg

The trays on the right are used for hand-picking the tulips.

Exposure set for ambient. Off-camera strobe from camera left to bring out texture in the tulips, and cast some shadows on the trays. Camera on tripod. Post-processed to remove some blems from the front tulips, and sharpening.

Feedback on composition and lighting welcome. Myself, I think the strobe should have been a little bit higher so the shadows would look more natural, but I didn't think of that until I got home. :-)

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• rbtrbt Registered Users Posts: 171 Major grins
    edited June 5, 2011
    great shot - love the lighting
  • Wicked_DarkWicked_Dark Registered Users Posts: 1,138 Major grins
    edited June 7, 2011
    well though out and executed. I can almost smell them.
  • peoorvendalpeoorvendal Registered Users Posts: 45 Big grins
    edited June 7, 2011
    Thanks for your positive feedback. You don't find the 'height' of the shadow disturbing?
  • Wicked_DarkWicked_Dark Registered Users Posts: 1,138 Major grins
    edited June 9, 2011
    well not in the sense that it makes it unenjoyable, but it does add an element of unreality to the scene telling me it was set up and not just a grab shot.
  • ashruggedashrugged Registered Users Posts: 345 Major grins
    edited June 9, 2011
    I like the way you included the crates in the picture, this is a beautiful and well thought out shot. I don't find the height of the shadows disturbing. I agree with wicked_Dark, that shadows are a little unrealistic, but it's a superb capture.
  • peoorvendalpeoorvendal Registered Users Posts: 45 Big grins
    edited June 9, 2011
    Thanks, Robert!