Options

rainy e-session in the PNW

Matt's CameraMatt's Camera Registered Users Posts: 25 Big grins
edited June 11, 2011 in Weddings
It's been a really awful spring in the northwest this year. It's such a pain trying to schedule shoots around the weather. I haven't been too busy, but it makes me wonder how other photographers deal with rescheduling shoots or if they just deal with the weather instead. After rescheduling this shoot once, we just decided to make the best of a cloudy evening and ended up getting rained on a little. It didn't help that my pocketwizards weren't working! (User error: battery loaded wrong - doh!) Oh well.

C&C welcome, please let me know what you think. Sorry for the blog format, I'm being lazy. Thanks.

i-k464Td2-L.jpg

i-XCk8KLW-L.jpg

i-kbQvFcm-L.jpg

i-wjvHpmQ-L.jpg

i-n6rX7Hb-L.jpg

i-JgmmH6v-L.jpg

i-xWzCs4L-L.jpg

i-ZwGsLgJ-L.jpg

i-wtfd9MQ-L.jpg

i-djDQRXL-L.jpg

i-xXkp8qx-L.jpg

i-7CwTNK8-L.jpg

i-SQHSw8p-L.jpg
Matt P | Website | Facebook

Comments

• Options
    NeilLNeilL Registered Users Posts: 4,201 Major grins
    edited June 5, 2011
    Lots of variety, interest and liveliness here! High quality work!thumb.gif

The first and second (but without the lower one quarter blur - unless they have not loaded properly on my monitor), third and last are my favs out of the ones with humans in them.:D

I wonder if the last might have been improved by the ss not looking downhill into the lens but at each other? Have a doubt also about the lens distortion in #7.

Neil
    "Snow. Ice. Slow!" "Half-winter. Half-moon. Half-asleep!"

http://www.behance.net/brosepix
  • Options
    TenThirteenTenThirteen Registered Users Posts: 488 Major grins
    edited June 5, 2011
    I this these are all great and I love how creative they are. Love the bubblegum shots, and #8 with opposite focus. Really cute!
    Canon Fan
  • Options
    TenThirteenTenThirteen Registered Users Posts: 488 Major grins
    edited June 5, 2011
    BUT, I do wish #1 was not so blurry on the pups. Was this done in post or in camera? I'd love to see it where the dogs are more a part of the shot.
    Canon Fan
  • Options
    Ed911Ed911 Registered Users Posts: 1,306 Major grins
    edited June 6, 2011
    Nice work...loose the foreground blur. Very distracting. The dogs, the feet, and finally the subjects themselves in the second one. I don't think it adds anything to the images...and is a big distraction...and kind of gimmicky.

I you had you picture taken...would you want the blurred one, or the one that you could show your kids and friends next year. Ask yourself this, if you blur out the subjects...what's in the images that makes it so special.

Favorites from the set;

3...like the bubble gum...the progression...says something about their personalities.

9...like this one too...pose and angles are okay with me. Not to sure that the conversion to BW couldn't be improved upon.

11...really like what you've done here....very nice...good capture...like the processing. My number one pick...quality wise and artistically.
    Remember, no one may want you to take pictures, but they all want to see them.
    Educate yourself like you'll live forever and live like you'll die tomorrow.

Ed
  • Options
    Darren Troy CDarren Troy C Registered Users Posts: 1,927 Major grins
    edited June 6, 2011
    Love your comps and love your selective focus...in some. The one with the dogs excluded bothers me a bit as well as the focus on the name of the bridge, instead of the headliners. Again, in 5 & 6 I find the SF distracting because in this case, it actually DRAWS my attention to the feet...and they're blurred...so it makes it tough...for me anyway. :) Great eye all around though on your compositions! # 3 would have to be a favorite followed closely by 7 & 8. Nice work.
  • Options
    ARKreationsARKreations Registered Users Posts: 265 Major grins
    edited June 7, 2011
    Wow, that lady is a dead ringer for anonymouscuban's wife!

I'm also not big on the excessively blurry bottoms, but the energy and emotion captured in the images is great.
    Ross - ARKreations Photography
    http://www.arkreations.com
    Nikon D700 | D300 | D80 | SB-800(x2) | SB-600(x2)
    Nikkor Lenses: 14-24 f/2.8 | 24-70 f/2.8 | 50 f/1.8 | 85 f/1.4 | 70-200 f/2.8 VR II | 70-300 VR
  • Options
    edited June 8, 2011
    Thanks for the responses. I should probably lay off the tilt-shift effect a little. It's great to get some other viewpoints! Shooting with dogs is hard!!!
  • Options
    BakkoBakko Registered Users Posts: 58 Big grins
    edited June 10, 2011
    i really like the pictures, great work!
    how do you deal with rain if your in the middle of a shoot?
    5DMKII - 60D - Canon 27-70mm - Canon 10-22mm - Canon 85mm f/1.8
    580 EX II - 430 EX II
  • Options
    edited June 11, 2011
    Bakko wrote: »
    i really like the pictures, great work!
    how do you deal with rain if your in the middle of a shoot?

Thanks. Luckily, it only rained at the end of the shoot, and it didn't rain hard enough to soak my clients. It was raining when I took #13 and you can see the rain on his vest in #7. We just found some cover and used what little light was coming in to grab a few more (11, 12)before calling it a day. Unfortunately the weather did negate a few shots I had planned, but what can you do? I live in Seattle!!!