New to forum, glamour senior portraits

TalblondmeTalblondme Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
edited June 6, 2011 in People
This photo is unedited. I'm open to C&C. I am completely new to photography in the digital world. Last time I posed anyone but my own children has been almost 25 years. This was from my first attempts at someone other then the kids. When I resized the pic to post I lost some of the sharpness. I don't like her missing shoulder

Comments

• TalblondmeTalblondme Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    edited June 6, 2011
    i-hrrTBc8-L.jpg
    i-NNLMZ43-L.jpg
    i-n249JBB-L.jpg
  • ScootersbabygirlScootersbabygirl Registered Users Posts: 224 Major grins
    edited June 6, 2011
    Welcome to the forum! The first photo seems really soft. The other ones have potential but they just don't pop for me. Good job getting out there and trying!
  • divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited June 6, 2011
    wave.gif Welcome!

(btw, when you post images, convention here is to number them so it makes it easier for folks to comment - just FYI :)

The first one doesn't work for me - I'm not diggin' on the pose, the light has given her "raccoon eyes" that are in shadow, her hair is in her face, and it's one of those frustrating "almost but not quite" kinda shots - I'd look for others from that part of the shoot.

#2 The light is fine in this (was your flash on camera? You've done well with fill, but get that flash OFF camera for even better results!). However, the tree position makes it look like it's growing out of her head; also, I think the shape of the collar of her jacket makes her look wider than she is.

#3 and 4 have real potential, IMO. Three would have been better without the horizon/change in background, but even with that I think it's a nice shot of a pretty young lady. Set a new black and white point in post (tutorial here, and even if you don't use PS, the "theory" applies to any editing package)

#4 is the winner in this set, I think! clap.gif I'd crop it to just below her wrist on the camera right side(or even tightter), offset her slightly in the frame by cropping top and side a bit too, bump up the contrast/colour, maybe add a vignette to darken the bg a tad (and dodge/lighten her face a little more - the light is good, but because the bg is bright it could use a little more brightening IMO) and you've got a great shot.

Some might argue that you COULD slim down her tummy with a bit of digital magic - very arguable, IMO since she's a slim, beautiful young woman, but expectations from fashion magazines might want that tummy made perfectly flat. Controversial and definitely something to use with (IMO) extreme caution and light hand! If this were my shot, I wouldn't take that curve away entirely (yuk - I hate that plastic-fantastic-Barbie-doll-stick-insect-look), but I might minimise it just a little simply because the way she's turned at the hip and the tightness of the dress both emphasise the curve of her belly more than I suspect is the actual reality of her figure.

Hope that's helpful!
  • HackboneHackbone Registered Users Posts: 4,027 Major grins
    edited June 6, 2011
    Pretty much what Diva said. Try to look beyond the subject as your creating your photo. Too many times our vision stops at the subject and we don't see glaring errors behind the subject. Get the flash off camera to get light direction.