Lisa Standing June 2011

richardwangphotographyrichardwangphotography Registered Users Posts: 4 Beginner grinner
edited June 8, 2011 in People
ACJ-Lisa-532-copy-XL.jpg

ACJ-Lisa-039-XL.jpg

ACJ-Lisa-495-copy-XL.jpg

Comments

• briandelionbriandelion Registered Users Posts: 512 Major grins
    edited June 7, 2011
    Very nice! The second one reminds me of a John Singer Sargent painting.
    "Photography is not about the thing photographed.
    It is about how that thing looks photographed." Garry Winogrand

Avatar credit: photograph by Duane Michals- picture of me, 'Smash Palace' album
  • NeilLNeilL Registered Users Posts: 4,201 Major grins
    edited June 8, 2011
    Yes... and no. For me.

These images are complex. But to put my reactions simply...

#3 is the most successful, imo, mainly because the framing is most successful - the strong diagonal allows the figure to command the space. In #1 the s is leaning against the edge of the frame - a weak look, and in #2 she is "lost in space".

Since gesture is what these images are mainly about - gesture of body and drapery/accessories - the use of space is critical. An important part of gesture is how it relates to space.

Re #3, and this is follows from what I have said above, I also think the gesture needs to be grounded. By itself, the figure and drapery are beautiful, and as I said, the pose commands the space through its diagonal relationship with it, but for me the image is not as strong as it could be because the s's relationship to the space is not followed through within the space itself. One way to do this which you find used in painting is to add other visual lines in the space which relate to it and the s. That can then further introduce movemet and narrative.

So, some yes and some no!:D Hope you don't mind my comments...?

Neil
    "Snow. Ice. Slow!" "Half-winter. Half-moon. Half-asleep!"

http://www.behance.net/brosepix
  • QarikQarik Registered Users Posts: 4,959 Major grins
    edited June 8, 2011
    posing and framing..excellent! the processing is leaving me a little flat. the images have GREAT bones and could be taken in any different angle in processing..but it doesn't go anywhere.
    D700, D600
    14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
    http://www.danielkimphotography.com