EOS 35mm lenses - can you use them on a Digital EOS?

MikeOMikeO Registered Users Posts: 4 Beginner grinner
edited July 15, 2004 in Cameras
Hi there,

I'm using a Canon S50 at the moment, but, in the longer term, I'm considering buying a digital EOS (haven't got as far as deciding which yet). I used wet film EOS cameras since they were released in the UK in 1986, but eventually sold my system last year, having not used the kit since I'd bought my digital.

It occurred to me that EOS systems didn't make huge money when selling secondhand on EBay, and so, if the same lenses can be used on a digital EOS, it might be a reasonable route to start a more 'professional' level of digital photography.

Anybody know the answer??

Cheers

Mike:ear

Comments

• pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,694 moderator
    edited July 15, 2004
    MikeO wrote:
    Hi there,

I'm using a Canon S50 at the moment, but, in the longer term, I'm considering buying a digital EOS (haven't got as far as deciding which yet). I used wet film EOS cameras since they were released in the UK in 1986, but eventually sold my system last year, having not used the kit since I'd bought my digital.

It occurred to me that EOS systems didn't make huge money when selling secondhand on EBay, and so, if the same lenses can be used on a digital EOS, it might be a reasonable route to start a more 'professional' level of digital photography.

Anybody know the answer??

Cheers

Mikeear.gif
    I own and use EOS EF lenses on a digital 10D, a 1DMKll and a film based EOS 3. EF lenses should work on any film of digital EOS camera. The 18-55 kit lens on the 300D digital Rebel will ONLY work on that camera, it will not fit on a 10D, or a 1D, or a D30 or D60.
    If I understand your post, you are suggesting buying secondhand lenses on Ebay. I think wxwax has bought several lenses this way - might check with him. But it has not been my impression that the better grade Canon EOS L lenses depreciate that much, altho the consumer grade lenses do somewhat.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • mercphotomercphoto Registered Users Posts: 4,550 Major grins
    edited July 15, 2004
    Re-use your lenses
    MikeO wrote:

I used to use a Canon Elan II camera and had two EF lenses. When I decided to get a digital SLR I bought a Canon D300 simply because I already had Canon lenses. I didn't even think about a Nikon, etc. because I didn't want to buy lenses again. So yes, it is a "reasonable route" for you to take. Get a 300D, 10D, whatever, and use your existing EF lenses.

Having said that, I have since bought two new lenses and so my rational for not looking at other camera bodies was for moot. :)
    Bill Jurasz - Mercury Photography - Cedar Park, TX
    A former sports shooter
    Follow me at: https://www.flickr.com/photos/bjurasz/
    My Etsy store: https://www.etsy.com/shop/mercphoto?ref=hdr_shop_menu
  • wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited July 15, 2004
    I steer clear of eBay. I use photography fourms like this one for buying used gear, and have had great luck so far. WRT buying older generation Canon FD manual focus lenses, check out keh.com. They have a large collection of old Canon glass at what appear to be reasonable prices.

[URL= ]Link[/URL]

The best used gear forums are at Fred Miranda and Photo.net.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au