Overwhelmed...please help

MammaPaparazzaMammaPaparazza Registered Users Posts: 221 Major grins
edited June 12, 2011 in Cameras
Ok, it's not secret by now...I'm riddled with A.D.D.
You have helped me decide already that I'd rather have the D90, then the 3100...
But I'm reading and reading and just getting all my info confused I think...
so here it goes, please give it to me with yes and no answers because it's all I can process anymore...lol

I now have a D40 and want to upgrade...but I'm limited to about 1k..would like to spend less.

I have 2 lens's now and would like to keep them...a 18-55, and a 55-200 non vr.
I sometimes depend on ...and like to use...the auto focus on the D40 and would like to do so with the D90. I also have a Sb600 that I want to keep and use.

If I buy the body only (D90) I can use the len's I have now correct? and the speedlight too?...from the charts on Nikonusa I'm seeing I can...but I want to be sure...because my husband wants me to sell the whole shabang ...my camera the lens, the battery all of it...bag included...

If I purchase a kit it will be over 1k by only about 100 bucks, but my husband insists that if I sell if the d40 with all the lens's and accessories I will get more to put towards the body and I can buy other lens's used off CL for the D90.

I just want to be certain that the lens's I have now will work with auto focus on the D90.
The S and G are confusing to me and I can't explain why...it's just that part of my brain that blocks it out...just like fractions...I just shut down when you start to throw in different letters behind the same lens.
:dunno I suck..I don't know..
Know the rules well, so you can break them effectively. - Dalai Lama XIV
It is vain to do with more what can be done with less. - William of Occam (c. 1288-1348)

Comments

• r3t1awr3ydr3t1awr3yd Registered Users Posts: 1,000 Major grins
    edited June 8, 2011
    D90 is compatible with more than the D40, you'll be fine.

Hi! I'm Wally: website | blog | facebook | IG | scotchNsniff
    Nikon addict. D610, Tok 11-16, Sig 24-35, Nik 24-70/70-200vr
  • MammaPaparazzaMammaPaparazza Registered Users Posts: 221 Major grins
    edited June 8, 2011
    r3t1awr3yd wrote: »
    D90 is compatible with more than the D40, you'll be fine.

Great...thanks thats exactly what I needed to hear.
    all my equip will work with it. and it doesn't require any special new lens's.

Fab. thumb.gif
    It is vain to do with more what can be done with less. - William of Occam (c. 1288-1348)
  • ABSABS Registered Users Posts: 56 Big grins
    edited June 8, 2011
    18-55 & 55-200 nikkors
    Ok, it's not secret by now...I'm riddled with A.D.D.
    You have helped me decide already that I'd rather have the D90, then the 3100...
    But I'm reading and reading and just getting all my info confused I think...
    so here it goes, please give it to me with yes and no answers because it's all I can process anymore...lol

I now have a D40 and want to upgrade...but I'm limited to about 1k..would like to spend less.

I have 2 lens's now and would like to keep them...a 18-55, and a 55-200 non vr.
    I sometimes depend on ...and like to use...the auto focus on the D40 and would like to do so with the D90. I also have a Sb600 that I want to keep and use.

If I buy the body only (D90) I can use the len's I have now correct? and the speedlight too?...from the charts on Nikonusa I'm seeing I can...but I want to be sure...because my husband wants me to sell the whole shabang ...my camera the lens, the battery all of it...bag included...

If I purchase a kit it will be over 1k by only about 100 bucks, but my husband insists that if I sell if the d40 with all the lens's and accessories I will get more to put towards the body and I can buy other lens's used off CL for the D90.

I just want to be certain that the lens's I have now will work with auto focus on the D90.
    The S and G are confusing to me and I can't explain why...it's just that part of my brain that blocks it out...just like fractions...I just shut down when you start to throw in different letters behind the same lens.
    ne_nau.gif I suck..I don't know..

You just might sell those lenses and get some with VR or VRII for your new camera. That stability feature lets you shoot at a lower speed and yet get an image which is STILL sharp. Probably wouldn't cost much more to have the VR's......
    ABS
  • time2smiletime2smile Registered Users Posts: 835 Major grins
    edited June 9, 2011
    Dont sell the SB-600 you will be able to use it off camera (remotely) with the D90...
    Ted....
    It's not what you look at that matters: Its what you see!
    Nikon
    http://www.time2smile.smugmug.com
  • angevin1angevin1 Registered Users Posts: 3,403 Major grins
    edited June 9, 2011
    One of the reasons I had my gal keep her D90 is because it works with the older lenses that the AutoFocus function has to be driven by the Body, The D90 does that. I have some older glass that is pro-grade for it's time, and She can use those because she has that camera. The D3000 series does not have an 'in-body' focus motor. Plus, if you have glass you already like: bonus.

The SB600: Keeper! and resell on it is still very good!
    tom wise
    edited June 11, 2011
    Thanks for all your help!
    Thanks everyone for your input...I went and purchased the D90 last night...and I think I'm in love iloveyou.gif
    If I had only had an extra 300 bucks, the D7000 but no luck. lol
  • basfltbasflt Registered Users Posts: 1,882 Major grins
    edited June 11, 2011
    congrats
    hope you enjoy it as much as i do , for its a very good camera
    edited June 11, 2011
    basflt wrote: »
    congrats
    hope you enjoy it as much as i do , for its a very good camera

already....this is quite a change...this sucker is HEAVY tho...gonna need lots of trigger point injections from holding it up rolleyes1.gif
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,078 moderator
    edited June 12, 2011
    I merged these 2 threads.

Congratulations on the new camera. clap.gif
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
    edited June 12, 2011
    ziggy53 wrote: »
    I merged these 2 threads.

Congratulations on the new camera. clap.gif

Thanks.. :)

oh and I can use the Sb600 on my D90, it works on and off camera...heaven :)