Canon 60D | Nikon Cooloix P7700
Manfrotto Mono | Bag- LowePro Slingshot 100AW

http://www.graphyfotoz.smugmug.com/

Comments

• JohnRJohnR Registered Users Posts: 732 Major grins
    edited October 7, 2005
    I can't check it out because of this:

Q - Is there a Mac version of DOF PRO?

A - Unfortunately, at this time there is no Mac supported version. This is due to a compiler limitation and it is not a developer decision.

Besides, even if it was for a Mac, the price is a little steep for something you could easily do with your camera.
  • flyingpylonflyingpylon Registered Users Posts: 260 Major grins
    edited October 7, 2005
    JohnR wrote:
    Besides, even if it was for a Mac, the price is a little steep for something you could easily do with your camera.
    You can easily get things like exposure and color to be perfect with your camera too, but some people pay lots of money for things to correct that in post-processing.

I think this is pretty cool. But I also assume that there are techniques one can use in Photoshop that would satisfy 99% of most people's needs.
  • GraphyFotozGraphyFotoz Registered Users Posts: 2,267 Major grins
    edited October 7, 2005
    True nuff
    You can easily get things like exposure and color to be perfect with your camera too, but some people pay lots of money for things to correct that in post-processing.

I think this is pretty cool. But I also assume that there are techniques one can use in Photoshop that would satisfy 99% of most people's needs.
    15524779-Ti.gif X2....but now and then you want to correct or increase the only decent pic ya have......could be handy.

SOME PPL do 100% of their extras in PP. Just a matter of pref I guessne_nau.gif

• colourboxcolourbox Registered Users Posts: 2,095 Major grins
    edited October 7, 2005
    Before considering this, Photoshop users should try out their Lens Blur filter first. It's basically the same thing. It can take depth maps and set iris specs such as blade shape, but using the clearer Photoshop interface. I've got CS2, don't know if it's in Photoshop CS.
  • jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
    edited October 7, 2005
    It's all about the depth mask/map...
    colourbox wrote:
    Before considering this, Photoshop users should try out their Lens Blur filter first. It's basically the same thing. It can take depth maps and set iris specs such as blade shape, but using the clearer Photoshop interface. I've got CS2, don't know if it's in Photoshop CS.
    THE challenge with DOF blurring is getting a proper depth map built. Photoshop's Lens blur has pretty much all the functionality you need once you have a depth map built as a mask. But, in CS, you have to build the depth mask yourself and if you have irregular subjects at a whole bunch of different depths, that can be a real challenge to do a credible job.

So, the question which I can't tell from their web-site is whether they have functionality to build the depth mask/map for you or to make it a lot easier to do that. If they don't make this a lot easier, then CS2 lens blur has everything you need to actually blur things once you have the appropriate mask.

If, on the other hand, this product makes it a lot easier to create the depth mask/map, then it might have something.

--John
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    JFriend's javascript customizationsSecrets for getting fast answers on Dgrin
    Always include a link to your site when posting a question
  • GraphyFotozGraphyFotoz Registered Users Posts: 2,267 Major grins
    edited October 8, 2005
    Egg on my face!
    Now that I go back to CS2 and look at the filter you speak of.....YOUR RIGHT!
    Pobody's Nerfect! Guess I still have a LOT to learn in CS2yelrotflmao.gif
    Guess that plug-in was more geared for CS.

Be patient with me folks! rolleyes1.gif

• wholenewlightwholenewlight Registered Users Posts: 1,529 Major grins
    edited October 8, 2005
    Free photoshop action
    colourbox wrote:
    There is also a pretty nice FREE photoshop action that I have used and it gives a similar effect - without as much control - but it is similar and free! It's also called a "Lensbaby" action but you can mimic depth-of-field blur with it.

Shot without:
    9784332-S.jpg

And here's the same shot with the blur action:
    35922052-S.jpg

Here's the link (atncentral.com) - scan down the page and look for Lensblur Author: Kent Christensen.

It's easy to use!
    john w

I knew, of course, that trees and plants had roots, stems, bark, branches and foliage that reached up toward the light. But I was coming to realize that the real magician was light itself.
    Edward Steichen