Options

Pricing Photo books

MP PhotographyMP Photography Registered Users Posts: 18 Big grins
edited June 8, 2011 in Mind Your Own Business
I am starting to get into the book making process and trying to figure out a fair mark up for the books

I normally allow the client to choose the images (w/ a min for the book) and tell them I will handle the layout, ordering, etc. A good turn key for the client.

Now i know there are a plethera of options to choose from when it comes to books, and there are premade layout and 1/2 custom to full custom and time is a factor with the custom layouts of the books.

I am trying to get a base line.
(for examples For a 8x8 20pg book that retails for $30 + S&H, and considering no special add ons)

1. What would you charge for the book?
a. are you looking at a % above on the final cost or a flat increase?
2. What kind of hourly rate would you add for the design time of the book?
3. How much (above the site cost) would you charge for additional pages?
4. would you ship it to yourself and then to the client, or drop ship the item?
5. If a client asked you to scan in images and create a layout, what wold you charge?
6. how much is too much when it comes to a book layout
7. How much time would you advise the client it would take from order to delivery of the book?

I am sure some of you have more suggestions, please don't hold back and let me know pros, cons.

Comments

• Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited June 8, 2011
    I do a flat rate over my costs...which is essentially a % {at least 35%}......but you cannot really publish set prices, as each clients needs are different it is truly as custom design thing...good luck.....

your siggy line looks borked...the emoticons are not showing .......
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    MP PhotographyMP Photography Registered Users Posts: 18 Big grins
    edited June 8, 2011
    thanks...anymore from anyone else?