WWII Reenactment: the actors

TropheusTropheus Registered Users Posts: 30 Big grins
edited June 9, 2011 in People
Hello All,
Last Memorial Day weekend, a friend of mine and his Company held a "Close Assault 1944" reenactment. The event was at Camp Mabry in Austin, Texas. It was actually quite cool and I plan on going to their next one in November. The plus side is that it shouldn't be 100+ degrees then and I will have the experience of this show to draw from to improve my techniques, positioning and ideas for my own personal interpretation of this type of event. I decided to keep the inamnimate objects off this thread since it's a people thread. I will put them up in the more appropriate forum.
Thanks for looking. And any C and C is welcome. I am still pretty new to this. I've learned a lot, but that amounts to an inch when compared to the 10 miles of information and techniques. I had a blast shooting these and processing them and showing them to my friend. I sent 40 processed images to the Texas Military Forces Museum, the institution that runs these shows, as a gift. It was a small gesture to show my appreciation for their efforts.

1. Soldier breaking out the Bazooka
BringingouttheBazooka.jpg

2. Nazi soldiers
CokedrinkingNazi_edited-1.jpg

3. Demo of an American rifle used in WWII
DemocasingsflyingIII.jpg

4. Lee trying it out.
LeeundertentwithBazookaI.jpg

5. Nazi soldier
NaziSoldierHandonHead.jpg

6. Hurry up and wait.
SoldierwaitinginJeep.jpg

7. Soldier leaving the battlefield
SoldierWalkingoffBattlefieldI.jpg
Question Authority.
Moderator: Trophs.com
Fish Geek

Comments

• FlyNavyFlyNavy Registered Users Posts: 1,350 Major grins
    edited June 8, 2011
    Wow! Your processing on #5 and 6 are amazing. Nice work.
  • TropheusTropheus Registered Users Posts: 30 Big grins
    edited June 8, 2011
    FlyNavy wrote: »
    Wow! Your processing on #5 and 6 are amazing. Nice work.

Thank you!
    Question Authority.
    Fish Geek
    edited June 8, 2011
    Here are a few more:

1. Post Assault contemplation
    SunflareI.jpg

2. Into the fray
    IntotheBattleIII.jpg

3. Awaiting the assault
    NaziSoldierhelmutunderarm.jpg

4. A little small talk.
    SoldierunderNet.jpg

Again, thanks for looking.
    JJ.
    Question Authority.
    Fish Geek
  • M38A1M38A1 Registered Users Posts: 1,317 Major grins
    edited June 8, 2011
    Great shots.... I recognize a couple of the people as well.
    edited June 8, 2011
    M38A1 wrote: »
    Great shots.... I recognize a couple of the people as well.
    Thanks again!
    Did you go to this last one? Or have you been to others?
    Question Authority.
    Fish Geek
  • M38A1M38A1 Registered Users Posts: 1,317 Major grins
    edited June 8, 2011
    Tropheus wrote: »
    Thanks again!
    Did you go to this last one? Or have you been to others?

I didn't make it this year. I'm part of a group that collects, restores, shows and displays historic military vehicles (thus the M38A1 screen name). Many of our vehicles were at Camp Mabry for the show as well as a lot of our military vehicle club guys are also part of "G" Company and work in conjunction with the museum.
  • briandelionbriandelion Registered Users Posts: 512 Major grins
    edited June 9, 2011
    Nice work. I think you really captured the period in those images and some gritty realism. I'm a big WWll buff and would have loved to be there. My dad was in the infantry and landed at Omaha Beach, soon after was badly wounded at St. Lo.
    "Photography is not about the thing photographed.
    It is about how that thing looks photographed." Garry Winogrand

Avatar credit: photograph by Duane Michals- picture of me, 'Smash Palace' album
  • SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited June 9, 2011
    Overall great work!! But throw away your first #4 image. This is one of those common errors made in modern action movies.

If the man holding the launcher were to actually fire it the two people behind him would be injured or killed. Just saying.............

Sam
    edited June 9, 2011
    Nice work. I think you really captured the period in those images and some gritty realism. I'm a big WWll buff and would have loved to be there. My dad was in the infantry and landed at Omaha Beach, soon after was badly wounded at St. Lo.

Thanks! Next time you have the chance, please tell your dad I said "Thank you for your service".
    Question Authority.
    Fish Geek
    edited June 9, 2011
    Sam wrote: »
    Overall great work!! But throw away your first #4 image. This is one of those common errors made in modern action movies.

If the man holding the launcher were to actually fire it the two people behind him would be injured or killed. Just saying.............

Sam

Thanks for the input! Very good point.
    The guy handling the Bazooka was my friend and I knew he'd want to have some shots of him handling the weopon. This was his first experience with one and the young man instructing him on its safe handling was warning him to pay heed to where others were when he launched it. This was pre weopon's demo. He was stoked to see himself with this badboy. Laughing.gif.
    JJ
    Question Authority.
    Fish Geek
  • WillCADWillCAD Registered Users Posts: 722 Major grins
    edited June 9, 2011
    I love the processing on all of these; they don't look like modern photos, they all look like authentic WWII-era photos. They don't even look like digital, they look like scans of film prints.

Could you give a rundown on how you processed them?
    What I said when I saw the Grand Canyon for the first time: "The wide ain't wide enough and the zoom don't zoom enough!"
    edited June 9, 2011
    WillCAD wrote: »
    I love the processing on all of these; they don't look like modern photos, they all look like authentic WWII-era photos. They don't even look like digital, they look like scans of film prints.

Could you give a rundown on how you processed them?

Thanks for your observations. That makes my day!

As far as the processing: I only have PSE8 and the Canon Digital Professional (CDP, hence). **And please keep in mind that I am self taught, so the technical terms may be missing in my narrative. But I welcome the chance to learn any***
    So, upon the file opening into the edit screen of the CDP after being dropped into PSE, I changed the image back to monochrome by toggling the saturation and vibrance to -100. Then I adjusted the temperature and tint according to the exposure of the image. Yellow to lighten, bluer to darken ditto green to fuschia. I have found that this technique does the job quite nicely without so much noise that's created by "fill light" or lighten shadows toggles. I raised the contrast in some and added more black if needed. Then, I opened the image in PSE, in quick edit and sharpened them first as needed. Most of them I raised the midtone contrast in this screen as well. The Nazi helmet, I went to the left of center on the midtone contrast.
    I used the Film Grain effect in all of them except for two or three. A pretty low level of grain, like 4 and the other values, I changed as needed.
    Then a rectangular boarder/vignette with a 250pixel feather in either Sumi-e, Fresco or light black border effects. Sometimes, I used the lighting effects tab for border/vignetting.
    I'm going through a "everything must have a border/vignette phase".
    I hope this helps to elucidate my process without making me sound too much like a hayseed. Laughing.gif. I've joined a local photography meetup group and attended my first photoshop workshop last night. Picked up four tips that I used immediately upon getting home.
    All I know is that I want to know MORE!
    JJ.
    Question Authority.
    Fish Geek