What's the point of this?

ZanottiZanotti Registered Users Posts: 1,411 Major grins
edited June 12, 2011 in Cameras
Flash on top or beside the lens:

It is a car/fashion shoot, seen here:

http://youtu.be/9ujEq2y71Q8

Z
It is the purpose of life that each of us strives to become actually what he is potentially. We should be obsessed with stretching towards that goal through the world we inhabit.

Comments

• ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,078 moderator
    edited June 8, 2011
    That's a "paparazzi rig". It's designed to eliminate shadows from a car door window frame or windshield frame cast on the interior of an automobile. Human subjects are, predictably, not illuminated in a very flattering way, but at least they don't have the shadow problem.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • DeVermDeVerm Registered Users Posts: 405 Major grins
    edited June 8, 2011
    Looks like he got his left arm between that car door already.. ouch eek7.gif
    ciao!
    Nick.

my equipment: Canon 5D2, 7D, full list here
    my Smugmug site: here
  • ZanottiZanotti Registered Users Posts: 1,411 Major grins
    edited June 8, 2011
    I wouldn't even know if there was a shadow here:
    It is the purpose of life that each of us strives to become actually what he is potentially. We should be obsessed with stretching towards that goal through the world we inhabit.
  • borrowlenses.comborrowlenses.com Registered Users Posts: 441 Major grins
    edited June 9, 2011
    Interesting setup. Thanks for the info Ziggy.
    http://www.BorrowLenses.com
    Your professional online camera gear rental store

Follow us on Facebook
    http://www.facebook.com/borrowlenses
  • rwellsrwells Registered Users Posts: 6,084 Major grins
    edited June 11, 2011
    If this is the resulting shot, then he's got several studio lights going here, not just the little speedlight. You can see the off-camera cord going somewhere else. Look at the shadows, your not going to get soft shadows with a bare speedlight. Looks to me like he's using that as an (almost) on axis fill light.

ne_nau.gif
    Randy
  • divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited June 12, 2011
    You know, I watch that vid and I don't even notice the gear - all I can think about is the pain of running in those shoes - OY that must hurt!! I hope she's getting a really chunky paycheck for that gig.... ;)

Sorry, boys, but this is the kind of ad that many of us girls out here just shake our heads at in wonderment. What does a provocatively-dressed women in equally provocative poses have to do with a car? Yeah, I know, I know - my dad was a Hollywood publicist so I know all about marketing theory and the like - but I just never quite believe it, even when I see it. Granted, this is very stylishly done, but still - sexist much?! (I'm not offended, just bemused. lol3.gif)

Sorry -totally OT. Y'all enjoy the view. :D

/end tangent

Have to agree with Randy - lots more going on there than the speedlight. I'd also guess it's being used as fill. Since we don't know for which shots it was actually used, hard to know.