Camera not syncing with flash...

TheCheeseheadTheCheesehead Registered Users Posts: 249 Major grins
edited June 16, 2011 in Cameras
Hi, I'm using a Canon 5D with a 580EXII, and recently it seems as if my flash isn't syncing correctly. Most of my shots are not exposed correctly, and I do see the flash fire prior to the shutter opening in the viewfinder, prior to that it I couldn't tell if the flash fired through the viewfinder, which I guess is the way it should be. It seems 1 out of 5 shots will sync. Same results if I use the hot shoe sync cord.

Thanks for your help!

Comments

• ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,078 moderator
    edited June 9, 2011
    If you see a flash in the viewfinder that is actually the "pre-flash" part of E-TTL (or E-TTL II as permitted.) The main flash pulse occurs when the main mirror is up and the viewfinder is black.

It would help to diagnose the problem if you could supply some problem images with full EXIF attached.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • TheCheeseheadTheCheesehead Registered Users Posts: 249 Major grins
    edited June 9, 2011
    Ok, thanks, I'll do that.
  • MarkRMarkR Registered Users Posts: 2,099 Major grins
    edited June 10, 2011
    Are you shooting directly attached to the hotshoe, wireless, or other?

I know if I don't have my flash seated all the way on my Pentax, things sometimes get "wonky."
  • willard3willard3 Registered Users Posts: 2,580 Major grins
    edited June 12, 2011
    Clean both the camera and the flash contacts and try again.
    It is better to die on you feet than to live on your knees.....Emiliano Zapata
  • TheCheeseheadTheCheesehead Registered Users Posts: 249 Major grins
    edited June 16, 2011
    Ok, following up...seems to be working now. Cleaned all of the contacts. I also noticed the FEC on the body was at -2...so even if I was at 0 on the flash, maybe it wouldn't be noticeable? Thanks!