Clapper Rail from new member

tkerrtkerr Registered Users Posts: 47 Big grins
edited June 13, 2011 in Wildlife
First thing I guess I should introduce myself.
My name is Tim Kerr, Originally from Minnesota I now reside on the east coast of North Carolina, USA. I am a photography hobbyist who enjoys astronomy photography, weather photography, as well as nature and wildlife.
I'll do my best to participate as often as possible in the forums. I hope to learn from other members and possibly return the favor by helping others when I can.
With that said let me start by sharing some of my more recent pictures.

Up early on Sunday morning (29 May, 2011) to head out to Cedar Point Nature Trail. I arrived about 30 minuted before Sunrise with the Crescent Moon and Jupiter dominating the eastern sky.
To bad I wasn't set to take a picture of that scene.

With my camera in hand I started hiking back on the trail where my first encounter was a Snowy Egret. At that moment it was about 15 minutes before Sunrise but I managed to get a few pictures anyways, before it flew off.

I continued on deeper into the estuary to find more objects of interest, when about a 1/2 hour after Sunrise I started hearing the familiar call of the Clapper Rail. I hear them quite often, but rarely get a chance to actually see them.
I slowly and quietly approached the area where the sound was coming from. Barely visible, she was hiding just off a muddy path near to the water within the tall marsh grasses. All of a sudden to my surprise she decided to come out and give me a chance to get some pictures. At first she started to head away from me, but then after a few minutes she returned. I was knelt down on the muddy path remaining as still as possible so I would spook her away.

I have never seen these birds stay in the clear for so long, or even allow anyone to be so close. I spent about 15 minutes knelt down on the wet muddy path and got a bunch of shots before I moved on. Following are my favorites of them all.

None of these shots have been cropped.

Clapper Rail.
Rail-29May2011-01.jpg

Rail-29May2011-02.jpg

Rail-29May2011-03.jpg

Rail-29May2011-04.jpg

Rail-29May2011-05.jpg

Rail-29May2011-06.jpg

Camera Model: Canon EOS 50D
Lens: EF100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM
Image Date: 2011-05-29 06:33:28
Focal Length: 400mm
Aperture: f/7.1
Exposure Time: 0.0050 s (1/200)
ISO equiv: 800
Exposure Bias: none
Metering Mode: Spot
Exposure: Manual
Exposure Mode: Manual
White Balance: Auto
Flash Fired: No (enforced)
Orientation: Normal
Color Space: ProPhoto RGB
Copyright: Copyright:, Timothy L. Kerr

Comments

• Ric GrupeRic Grupe Registered Users Posts: 9,522 Major grins
    edited June 9, 2011
    Nice group, Tim.....with the last being the best.

All of them look like they could be a bit brighter.

Looks like you got real close.....which is the hardest part! :D

Welcome.
  • IcebearIcebear Registered Users Posts: 4,015 Major grins
    edited June 9, 2011
    clap.gif I'll bet your heart was thumping.
    John :
    Natural selection is responsible for every living thing that exists.
    D3s, D500, D5300, and way more glass than the wife knows about.
  • PGMPGM Registered Users Posts: 2,007 Major grins
    edited June 9, 2011
    Welcome, Tim, and thank you for introducing yourself! You were seriously close to these birds! I like the last shot best also. Best, Pam
  • tkerrtkerr Registered Users Posts: 47 Big grins
    edited June 10, 2011
    Ric Grupe wrote: »
    Nice group, Tim.....with the last being the best.

All of them look like they could be a bit brighter.

Looks like you got real close.....which is the hardest part! :D

Welcome.

Thank you.
    I didn't want to stretch the histogram any further than it was. If I did it would have clipped into the highlights. I probably could have used a little fill light.
    Icebear wrote: »
    clap.gif I'll bet your heart was thumping.
    Just a little. I've been trying to get a decent picture of the Clapper Rail for a couple years now. Every other time when I do see one, it is obstructed by tall marsh grasses.
    PGM wrote: »
    Welcome, Tim, and thank you for introducing yourself! You were seriously close to these birds! I like the last shot best also. Best, Pam
    Nah,, She was seriously close to me. I just knelt down in one spot and stayed there as still as possible so not to startle her. In just a matter of a few minutes she started coming closer to me.
  • jwearjwear Registered Users Posts: 8,009 Major grins
    edited June 10, 2011
    welcome --you are right they hide alot rolleyes1.gif and you did very well with
    having the bird accepting you thumb.gif
    Jeff W

“PHOTOGRAPHY IS THE ‘JAZZ’ FOR THE EYES…”

http://jwear.smugmug.com/
  • Dennis KaczorDennis Kaczor Registered Users Posts: 2,413 Major grins
    edited June 11, 2011
    Tim, nice captures with the last being the best for me. One bird that I have never seen before.
  • tkerrtkerr Registered Users Posts: 47 Big grins
    edited June 12, 2011
    jwear wrote: »
    welcome --you are right they hide alot rolleyes1.gif and you did very well with
    having the bird accepting you thumb.gif
    Tim, nice captures with the last being the best for me. One bird that I have never seen before.

Thank you.

That last is when she got so close I almost had to zoom back out with the lens.

I missed an opportunity to get a BIF shot of a BC Night Heron early this morning. That was a first for me to even see one of those around here.
  • HarrybHarryb Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 22,708 Major grins
    edited June 13, 2011
    Welcome to Dgrin Tim. wave.gif

Nice captures of a hard to find subject. I've only managed to gte oen rail so far.
    Harry
    http://behret.smugmug.com/ NANPA member
    How many photographers does it take to change a light bulb? 50. One to change the bulb, and forty-nine to say, "I could have done that better!"