Then and now...

M38A1M38A1 Registered Users Posts: 1,317 Major grins
edited August 10, 2011 in Other Cool Shots
I've never tried a "then and now" type shot before, yet a friend asked if I'd give it a whirl.

Lee purchased a 1962 Honda Superhawk new and has had it ever since. That's crowding some 48 years with the same bike. A few weeks ago, I was approached to try and recreate an 'updated' version of a picture taken from August 1963 of Lee and the bike. Always up for a challenge, I said I'd give it a try.

So today, Lee and I met at the location where the picture was taken. He grew up in the house where the photographer was standing in the initial shot, and I asked the owner if I could take some shots from the driveway. "Sure" was the enthusiastic response. Lee was patient as I had him roll forward then backward, foot up and out, left on the peg, hands and fingers here and there and on and on. And all this under a bright sun, and full-face bubble helmet. A real trooper.

After I shot a few rounds, we looked at the images and figured we'd try to get a bit better perspective then originally shot. So we did it again. Once the shooting was wrapped, the owner was wanting to show Lee the home and all the changes that have occurred over the years. It was like watching a kid relive a part of their life many years ago. "Oh, this was my room....." and "...this is where I parked my motorcycle". The owner was happy to hear and record the history of the home and fill in some holes as well.

Overall, today was a lot of fun. The shot presented some technical challenges such as overgrown trees, the curb had moved and today was sunny vs cloudy when the original was shot. Yet overall, I think the objective was met.

Question: Would the 'now' shot be better served by having the sharpness/clarity reduced? Or do you think it acceptable as the camera technology has also changed from the Kodak Instamatic to my gear?

So here's a couple shots from 1963 and 2011 of Lee and his 1962 Honda Superhawk.

The shot that started the project. Taken Aug '63
63-pic-me-and-my-cb-in-63-XL.jpg

And what we were able to re-create today.
63-pic-me-and-my-cb-in-11-1-XL.jpg

Comments

• jirojiro Registered Users Posts: 1,865 Major grins
    edited June 9, 2011
    Awesome! Not only do I appreciate the passing of the times, but more than that is the friendship bond between the two of you. thumb.gif In my opinion, the contrast was set too high on the new shot so yes, I would probably recommend that you tone it down a little bit. Thank you very much for sharing this. I am really encouraged by the story and by the images. thumb.gifthumbthumb.gifclap.gifclapclap.gif
    Sitting quietly, doing nothing. Spring comes and the grass grows by itself.

http://imagesbyjirobau.blogspot.com/
  • Soul Gaze PhotographySoul Gaze Photography Registered Users Posts: 263 Major grins
    edited August 4, 2011
    I love what you did with this...great concept and execution. I do agree with the contrast mentioned by the above post, but also feel it adds some 'edge' to the photo. Otherwise, great job!!
    Photographic Artist Amber Flowers of Soul Gaze Photography, LLC.
    SmugMug setup & customization services. Contact me! :D
    Proud & helpful Smugger since 2009. Please hire me for Support Hero!!
    I first contacted Jill V. in April 2011 & I even wrote a poem.

• M38A1M38A1 Registered Users Posts: 1,317 Major grins
    edited August 8, 2011
    Thanks for the replies.... I'd have to agree the contrast is a bit too much if you look at the 're-creation' part of the equation.
  • bfjrbfjr Registered Users Posts: 10,980 Major grins
    edited August 8, 2011
    Like em like they are and boy can I relate thumb.gif
  • DaddyODaddyO Registered Users Posts: 4,466 Major grins
    edited August 10, 2011
    Pretty fine result. clap.gif Nice work thumb.gif
    Michael