Daughter & Grandaughter OCF

shawncshawnc Registered Users Posts: 717 Major grins
edited June 12, 2011 in People
First time posting in the People Thread. Been a Smugmugger for a few years now tho.
Out hiking in the Rim country near Payson, AZ. Thought I would try some Off Camera Lighting. Only tried it a few times before.
Set up a with a 580exII on my tripod, triggered with ST-E2. Aside from blown Sun highlights I think they turned out OK. Let me know what you think, C&C.

MG0470-L.jpg

MG0412-L.jpg

3 Pulling out her model poses
MG0445-L.jpg

4 She found some Props
MG0452-L.jpg

Comments

• shawncshawnc Registered Users Posts: 717 Major grins
    edited June 10, 2011
    WOW, I didn't think they were that bad. No Comments, No Nothing after 100 hits?
    Not looking to get beat up too bad.
    I shot these JPEG cause it was just for fun and I didn't have the PP depth that I get in RAW. Just concerned about getting caught up in the photo PP and losing perspective on the technical side. You know the, saving the shot at all costs. It is family...
  • HackboneHackbone Registered Users Posts: 4,027 Major grins
    edited June 10, 2011
    They are not that bad at all. For the most part the lighting is very pleaseing. In #3 you've got some racoon eyes going on but hey, it was only your second time trying it. You do have some problems with posing but these aren't supposed to be portraits shots as they seem to be more let me capture the moment and experiment with my flash.
    So with that said.....good job overall.
    edited June 10, 2011
    Hackbone wrote: »
    They are not that bad at all. For the most part the lighting is very pleaseing. In #3 you've got some racoon eyes going on but hey, it was only your second time trying it. You do have some problems with posing but these aren't supposed to be portraits shots as they seem to be more let me capture the moment and experiment with my flash.
    So with that said.....good job overall.

Thanx Hackbone! Sorry to have to beg for a response, but, hey, we're all here to learn from each other.
    Yes, I am trying to figure out how to get my light to balance on OCF, and I do kinda like the darker BG without it getting out of hand.
    Posing? Wow! What a challenge! Yea it was a "sit here and look at me" kinda thing, but yes I am definately Pose challenged...
    I did see a reply you made to another smugger that was a good idea I really liked.

"Go to as many sites as you can and collect a folder of favorite poses and print them out. Try to use at least four of them on every session. Put them up on your refrigerator, office space etc and look at them constantly."

"Watch people as they are sitting, standing, leaning etc. Those are comfortable, natural poses that they can then use."

So, Thank You for your input
  • e mari ad terrame mari ad terram Registered Users Posts: 54 Big grins
    edited June 10, 2011
    I think your Granddaughter looks a lot like you.... : D

These look great Mr. Carden... When are we going to hit the high country this summer?
    Fear evaporates when we realize that our life stories and the history of the world were written with the same hand.
    edited June 11, 2011
    I think your Granddaughter looks a lot like you.... : D

These look great Mr. Carden... When are we going to hit the high country this summer?

Hey man! long time! You know me, always up for a photoadventure.
  • sweet carolinesweet caroline Registered Users Posts: 1,589 Major grins
    edited June 12, 2011
    I really like that last one! The first one is pretty good, but posing would be better if she were angled more to the side.
  • PhotogbikerPhotogbiker Registered Users Posts: 351 Major grins
    edited June 12, 2011
    Good stuff. I don't mind the blown sun highlights at all, kind of makes it more real. The off camera is good for providing some modeling and more pleasing light, but as noted for #3 if too far to the side it takes away the nicely lit eyes of more direct. Off camera main with the little pop up for fill set to -1 or so is a nice combination too.

I am in Cave Creek so ready to hit the high country too, if the fire doesn't destroy it all!