Options

DSS 78 - Light at the End

WhatSheSawWhatSheSaw Registered Users Posts: 2,221 Major grins
edited June 14, 2011 in The Dgrin Challenges
So I had a couple of ideas. All critique is encouraged. I still have a lot to learn. :D

#1 Untitled (so far)
P1400392BW-L.jpg

I found a local auto show. It was near the end of the show, so I only snagged a few shots. There is another one this weekend - supposed to be cloudy.

#2 Rumble Seat
P1400478Adjust-L.jpg

#3 Blues
P1400489Adjust-L.jpg

#4 B&W (my son prefers B&W, my husband prefers color)
P1400489AdjustBW-L.jpg

#5 Blues (cropped)
P1400489AdjustCrop1-L.jpg

#6 Thunderbird
P1400496Adjust2-L.jpg

#7 Red Hot
P1400490Adjust-L.jpg

#8 Bearded Iris
P1400727Adjust-L.jpg

Comments

• Options
    travelwaystravelways Registered Users Posts: 7,854 Major grins
    edited June 10, 2011
    I like the first one and the flowers.

* For the flowers shot, maybe the light has to be somehow a little more visible... I'm not sure...
    Tatiana - Seeing the world through my camera
    TravelwaysPhotos.com ...... Facebook
    VegasGreatAttractions.com
    Travelways.com
  • Options
    MammaPaparazzaMammaPaparazza Registered Users Posts: 221 Major grins
    edited June 10, 2011
    6 does it for me...because the second gen T-bird with the larger tailfin and the flat rocket tail lights really fits the "light at the end" because that was a major selling point for that car thumb.gif
    At your next show see if you can get a Caddy with the real Rocket tail lights...that would be great.
    Know the rules well, so you can break them effectively. - Dalai Lama XIV
    It is vain to do with more what can be done with less. - William of Occam (c. 1288-1348)
  • Options
    kdotaylorkdotaylor Registered Users Posts: 1,275 Major grins
    edited June 10, 2011
    I really like #5. Wow.
    Kate
    www.katetaylor.smugmug.com
    "You cannot depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus." Mark Twain
  • Options
    sapphire73sapphire73 Registered Users, Super Moderators Posts: 1,946 moderator
    edited June 10, 2011
    All of these work for the theme, in my opinion. I was very happy to see the shot of the iris as one of my thoughts for this challenge (if I hadn't gone with the jump shots) was a close up of a flower "at the end of a sunbeam's ray" and I think you have captured this beautifully. I like the idea of the first one but not sure whether it is a strong enough shot. Lots of great car shots - I like #5 and #6. Of these, #5 and #6 are probably my favorites because they focus attention on the tail light while being strong shots in themselves. Overall favorite is #8 but I can see that one of the car shots would be a unique take on the theme. Have fun figuring out which one to enter!
  • Options
    rteest42rteest42 Registered Users Posts: 540 Major grins
    edited June 11, 2011
    LOVE the car shots. This is the kind of car shot I take, which is why my DH takes photos of the cars he likes at car shows, lol...I will have to show him yours!
  • Options
    ghinsonghinson Registered Users Posts: 933 Major grins
    edited June 11, 2011
    I like #3 the best. I like the colors, and I like the reflections in the bumper. I wonder about the possibility of rotating it just a few degrees clockwise, straightening the bumper a bit. (Not sure, just wondering.)
    uosuıɥ ƃǝɹƃ
    ackdoc.com
  • Options
    billseyebillseye Registered Users Posts: 847 Major grins
    edited June 11, 2011
    I also like the car shots. Makes me want to find a car show this weekend.

The lines in #2 are really appealing, but the reflection of the man and the tree above the roof are distracting my attention away from the fabulous motion of the lines.

#3 is very cool as well, but on my monitor the highlights are blown out and there appears to be some significant color banding in the blue gradients flowing away from the highlight.

Overall, I think I like #6 best, but would like it better with the shadows lightened a bit and without the extreme processing.

Lots of good stuff to work with here. You have a good eye for lines!
    Bill Banning

Check out billseye photos on SmugMug
  • Options
    edited June 13, 2011
    Thanks for all of the great comments!

I can clone out the tree in #2, but I am running out of time, so I may not get to it. And then I can try cropping out the reflection of the man.

For Greg, a straighten and crop of the Blues.
    #3a
    P1400489AdjustCrop2-L.jpg

For Tatiana, a slightly different flower shot.
    P1400729Adjust-L.jpg

Here is #6 without the extreme processing. Someday, someone will actually like my extreme processing. :D (Still working on it).

#6a Thunderbird
    P1400496Adjust-L.jpg

And a couple of new ones from this weekend's car show. Mostly cloudy sky that reflected in the cars.

#10 Caddy with Rocket Tail Light for MammaPaparazza mwink.gif
    P1400817Crop2Adjust1-L.jpg

#11 I was told this was one of 3 1931 Fords used in American Graffiti
    P1400834Adjust-L.jpg

#11a - Cropped more
    P1400834AdjustCrop-L.jpg
  • Options
    ic4uic4u Registered Users Posts: 1,455 Major grins
    edited June 13, 2011
    Loving the reworked version in 3aclap.gif
    That last shot is very cool!
    Karin

"Dance like no one is watching. Sing like no one is listening. Love like you've never been hurt and live like it's heaven on Earth." — Mark Twain
  • Options
    edited June 13, 2011
    I like what you've done with 3a and like both flower shots. Also, fun to see the last two shots! Were you thinking of those as potential entries or sharing them because they are awesome shots?
  • Options
    edited June 13, 2011
    Thanks, Karin! The clouds were special on Saturday.

Gretchen, I was thinking of one of the last 2 for an entry, but am not sure how well they fit the theme.
  • Options
    edited June 13, 2011
    WhatSheSaw wrote: »
    Gretchen, I was thinking of one of the last 2 for an entry, but am not sure how well they fit the theme.

That was my hesitation with those as well, but they are great shots!
  • Options
    travelwaystravelways Registered Users Posts: 7,854 Major grins
    edited June 14, 2011
    Your car shots are very nice and especially I like #11a - is that a rear light? headscratch.gif

I also like the flower shot very much - it's very vibrant.
    Tatiana - Seeing the world through my camera
    TravelwaysPhotos.com ...... Facebook
    VegasGreatAttractions.com
    Travelways.com
  • Options
    edited June 14, 2011
    WhatSheSaw wrote: »
    Thanks, Karin! The clouds were special on Saturday.

sapphire73 wrote: »
    That was my hesitation with those as well, but they are great shots!

I was glad to see 11a in the entry gallery. Mind you, I would have loved to see the flower shot there or one of the other car shots, but this other shot was quite unique!