Options

Light Bright

sweetharmonysweetharmony Registered Users Posts: 405 Major grins
edited June 13, 2011 in The Dgrin Challenges
Hi all! I've got this one up in the gallery, but I'm waffling:
i-5NS7mgf-M.jpg
Is it really ok to have the power lines? I like them because they add a bit of a story line and enhance the geometrical look to the picture. However, I know that a lot of us as photographers spend quite a bit of effort taking photos without power lines......it feels rather odd to actually include them. Well, and, they distract from the large, lit-up sign.
Which brings me to these images of the same sign (can you tell that I love this sign?)
19o Bulbs
i-MktVPRj-M.jpg

190 bulbs (different processing)
i-pnfZrBv-M.jpg

CharBett (Not so sure about this one.......seems lacking somehow)
i-7H76Rbm-M.jpg

Vintage Lights Abstract
i-LRCnvTs-M.jpg

What do you think? It tickles me to get so many different views all from the same sign.....but I sure can't decide if one image is better than another. I'd love if anybody can weigh in on this because I'm "out of my element." In many ways, I like the last one the very best, but the big chunk of red metal seems a bit heavy.

Comments

• Options
    billseyebillseye Registered Users Posts: 847 Major grins
    edited June 11, 2011
    What a cool subject in general.. and well-suited to this challenge!

The power lines in #1 don't really bother me, as you say... they're part of the story.

I like #2 a lot, but can't decide between the two processed versions. The right side of the image works better for me in the first one, but I like the recovery of detail to the left in the second one. I'm also thinking that this would be interesting to shoot at dusk to get the combination of deep blue sky and illuminated bulbs.

In the third one, the loss of the arrow shape is problematic for me and in the fourth, it feels like the mass of red paint is too prominent.
    Bill Banning

Check out billseye photos on SmugMug
  • Options
    ghinsonghinson Registered Users Posts: 933 Major grins
    edited June 11, 2011
    I agree. The power lines don't bother me.

I think #3 would look cool, but I think that seeing #1 helps with the context of #3. If I had #3 alone, it might feel like the crop is too close. Wish #3 had a little bit of the sign in it, like #5.
    uosuıɥ ƃǝɹƃ
    ackdoc.com
  • Options
    billseyebillseye Registered Users Posts: 847 Major grins
    edited June 11, 2011
    ghinson wrote: »
    I agree. The power lines don't bother me.

I think #3 would look cool, but I think that seeing #1 helps with the context of #3. If I had #3 alone, it might feel like the crop is too close. Wish #3 had a little bit of the sign in it, like #5.

Greg, you are right about the context provided by viewing number 1 first. I hadn't considered that in my comments. Still think that #2 might work on its own with the right processing.
    Bill Banning

Check out billseye photos on SmugMug
  • Options
    edited June 12, 2011
    Oh, you two are GREAT! Very helpful, constructive advice. I will re-visit the original group of photos and see what's new my perception of them since I let them "rest" for a few days.
  • Options
    sapphire73sapphire73 Registered Users, Super Moderators Posts: 1,948 moderator
    edited June 12, 2011
    Fun idea for this challenge! I agree with previous comments that the power lines are fine here and that the close up shots (I prefer 3 over 2, myself) have good potential - perhaps with more context.
  • Options
    edited June 12, 2011
    And thanks again! Here's another that I re-worked this evening that I think is closer to fitting the bill. I opted for a square crop because is has spunk:
    i-VQRfLp2-M.jpg
    Sure was a fun subject to study with a camera......

I will have to deliberate.....
  • Options
    edited June 12, 2011
    Well, and then I took this one tonight......which I might just prefer over the signs......oh well. I am indeed struggling with adding more context to the sign images....hard to make it not too abstract. The moon, however, you pretty much know what you're looking at:
    i-9mbZ6H6-S.jpg
  • Options
    sapphire73sapphire73 Registered Users, Super Moderators Posts: 1,948 moderator
    edited June 12, 2011
    Well, and then I took this one tonight......which I might just prefer over the signs......oh well. I am indeed struggling with adding more context to the sign images....hard to make it not too abstract. The moon, however, you pretty much know what you're looking at:
    i-9mbZ6H6-S.jpg

Lovely shot! clap.gif
  • Options
    travelwaystravelways Registered Users Posts: 7,854 Major grins
    edited June 12, 2011
    I prefer this to the signs too :D
    Tatiana - Seeing the world through my camera
    TravelwaysPhotos.com ...... Facebook
    VegasGreatAttractions.com
    Travelways.com
  • Options
    edited June 13, 2011
    Me, too....I took this for my Dad last night because he's a night-owl and this commemorates the onset of long, warm summer evenings. The nighthawks are here, the lightening bugs kicked in last week, we're seeing more and more moths......and twilight seems to last forever....
  • Options
    ic4uic4u Registered Users Posts: 1,455 Major grins
    edited June 13, 2011
    That last one is very pretty, nicely done!
    Karin

"Dance like no one is watching. Sing like no one is listening. Love like you've never been hurt and live like it's heaven on Earth." — Mark Twain
  • Options
    ghinsonghinson Registered Users Posts: 933 Major grins
    edited June 13, 2011
    The moon one looks pretty. Is it a composite? Looking at it it occurred to me that an interesting title would be "Sunlight." Since, of course, the bright light from the moon is really reflected from the Sun.
    uosuıɥ ƃǝɹƃ
    ackdoc.com
  • Options
    edited June 13, 2011
    Oooooh, clever title, Greg! Yes, it's a composite of three images....the moon was so very bright at twilight last night and our humidity is finally lower, so I couldn't resist the opportunity for such a clear shot. It reminds me for all the world of asian textiles featuring bright moons and plants......I think I'll go for an oriental-style title.....and the color palette is very much like a japanese pen and ink......I kept the grainy look to the image, too, because I liked the softening effect of the texture.........

I really do appreciate the support from all of you. Truly feel that this forum is a wonderful place to grow and stretch.