what to wear

lizzard_nyclizzard_nyc Registered Users Posts: 4,056 Major grins
edited June 13, 2011 in People
Hi all,
Quick question please.
Though I am shooting a sporting event tomorrow, felt funny about this question in sports--don't want to get laughed out of the forum:)

I'm shooting the first annual lez volley tournament in Fire Island NY tomorrow. Pretty excited about it, but the conditions don't look good--possible rain on and off all day. I have my rain cover for both my E620 which I will use to shoot outdoors, but also for my canon 5D to shoot inside the club for the party afterwards (I'm only staying for an hour or two of the party), and my Lowerpro has a pull out rain cover.

Question is, what the heck does one wear to shoot beach volleyball?
HIgh of 76, likely cooler for most of the day, possible rain, wet sand. Jeans, shorts, flip flops, sneakers? seems like a silly question, but maybe someone here has shot beach volleyball before, in the rain, lol.
Any guidance?
Liz A.
_________

Comments

• cr8ingwavescr8ingwaves Registered Users Posts: 194 Major grins
    edited June 10, 2011
    I like all terrain sandals like Tevas...or crocs when in the sand as an observer. sneakers let the sand in but not out. flips are not good for sure footing but are better than sneakers. shorts or capris, windbreaker/slicker/hoodie.
  • HackboneHackbone Registered Users Posts: 4,027 Major grins
    edited June 10, 2011
    It's not a formal event so go as casual as you feel comfortable with.
  • lizzard_nyclizzard_nyc Registered Users Posts: 4,056 Major grins
    edited June 10, 2011
    I like all terrain sandals like Tevas...or crocs when in the sand as an observer. sneakers let the sand in but not out. flips are not good for sure footing but are better than sneakers. shorts or capris, windbreaker/slicker/hoodie.

Thank you!
    I had planned on jeans, but this sounds like a better idea.
    I also dug up some sportyish sandals I haven't used in years.
    Liz A.
    _________
    edited June 10, 2011
    Hackbone wrote: »
    It's not a formal event so go as casual as you feel comfortable with.

Thanks, you are right, it's not formal. Will take a couple of things just in case.
    Liz A.
    _________
    edited June 13, 2011
    richy wrote: »
    I work on sand a lot (not volleyball), bare feet is very effective if you are sure you won't get cut. I use reef leather flipflops for when I am not on the sand. They look fairly formal for flipflops and they are extremely quick to get on and off, but mostly if its grass or sand its bare feet (makes climbing much easier as well).

As for the rest of you, I always found tommy bahama shirts (the non panel ones which are strictly for 'golfers') and shorts a nice balance between looking discrete, professional, informal and allowing lots of movement whilst withstanding lots of heat and rain. They are also fairly cheap compared to a proper suit. If theres rain then denim or anything like it is a no. I would go for shorts for the movement they afford (just make sure they have enough length to stop any unfortunate exposures). Given you will be shooting a more informal situation then I do you could go for a simple light T with a light jacket in backup. I've never shot a VB game, are there any colour restrictions like there are at motor circuits?

Richy thank you!
    I read your post when I woke in the morning before heading out and realized I wasn't packing enough. I threw in an extra hoodie and light jacket plus some other pants just in case. I didn't want to have to lug everything w/ me but in the end was worth it as I was pretty soaked halfway through the event and freezing and had to change.

I have posted a short series of the event in street/PJ
    http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=199702

Thanks guys for your help.
    Liz A.
    _________