First macro shot of a bug for me!

icedan2002icedan2002 Registered Users Posts: 17 Big grins
edited June 18, 2011 in Holy Macro
Not sure what it is but I think its cool!

I tried to get a better focused shot but it took off pretty quick so this is best I got!

Shot with a Sony A560 with Sony 70-300mm with AF extension tube set(36mm,20mm,13mm in that order). ISO 100 at 100mm f/8.0 at 1/160 with flash.

Please C&C!!!

Comments

• GOLDENORFEGOLDENORFE Super Moderators Posts: 4,747 moderator
    edited June 10, 2011
    a good first bug shot, it is a robber fly.

try not to centre the subject in middle of frame, light is very harsh, what flash are you using? need to diffuse the light to make it softer
  • icedan2002icedan2002 Registered Users Posts: 17 Big grins
    edited June 10, 2011
    Thank You! I am using a Sony HVL-F43am Flash. I will try and redo the pic with your suggestions and see what I get. Appreciate the advice and info!!
  • Lord VetinariLord Vetinari Registered Users Posts: 15,901 Major grins
    edited June 11, 2011
    Good first bug capture
    Brian v.
  • DeVilDeVil Registered Users Posts: 1,037 Major grins
    edited June 12, 2011
    Very good for a first try :)
    edited June 12, 2011
    Thank You!!! I ended up making my own flash bracket and diffuser to try and get that softer look.

Appreciate all the comments and advice! This site is awesome!!clap.gif
  • ggeorge11ggeorge11 Registered Users Posts: 45 Big grins
    edited June 15, 2011
    This is a way better shot than my 1st, I do not know if this will help you, but also try shooting in a higher f/stop, I have been shooting in f/11-16, and with a flash that should be no problem. It sure helps with getting all of the subject in focus.

As far as having the bug in the center, that is just one of my major weaknesses also. I have to admit, I cheat and crop the little buggers to match the rule of thirds as best as I can. When I was using my Pentax Kx, you would never know where exactly you were ocused unless you set the priority to center. There are no visual cues, just a beep, so I was usually forced into the center of the screen. Now that I have the K5, I have the 5 center focus points turned on, and I can see which one is the focus point. If I don't like that I can move the camera a little until I get the point I want. Now I just need to "un-learn" the habits from the Kx, and keep practicing.
    All Pain should lead to learning, but not all learning needs to be painful!

My Smugmug site- http://keithgeorge.smugmug.com/
    edited June 18, 2011
    Thanks ggeorge11!!

I have a lot to learn and appreciate any and all advice and sharing your techniques with me!!
  • ggeorge11ggeorge11 Registered Users Posts: 45 Big grins
    edited June 18, 2011
    I feel the same way, I see what other people have taken and I get humble in a hurry. Macro shooting is so much fun. I have taken a shot of a flower, only to get home and get it on the big screen and see some bug I missed. And with no two shots the same, It is always a challenge.
    All Pain should lead to learning, but not all learning needs to be painful!

My Smugmug site- http://keithgeorge.smugmug.com/