Options

#78 Light at the end ... comments pls?

JennJenn Registered Users Posts: 1,009 Major grins
edited June 14, 2011 in The Dgrin Challenges
I took some photos for this challenge and wasn't sure I'd get anything worthy of this topic, but I like this one. I think I got the composition right because I used the Composition adjuster tool someone showed me...

What do you think? Do either of these look good? :) I'm hoping I am doing better at this. Thoughts pls?

1. Light at the end of ... the day
16-6lightattheend1-XL.jpg

2. Light at the end of ... the day - crop A
16-6lightattheend1cropA.jpg

3. Light at the end of ... the day - b&w
16-6lightattheend2-XL.jpg
Jenn (from Oklahoma)
Panasonic Lumix 10x DMC-TZ3 :photo
Leica Mega O.I.S./28mm WIDE :smile6

Comments

• Options
    CambysesCambyses Registered Users Posts: 141 Major grins
    edited June 11, 2011
    Nice shot, and nicely exposed around the sun. I just think there is a bit too much shadow with no detail on left side. So I think I would crop some of the tree on the left side.
  • Options
    rteest42rteest42 Registered Users Posts: 540 Major grins
    edited June 11, 2011
    Definitely the color, and I agree, burn a bit of the foreground trees or crop and burn...the house could use a touch lighter, as well... but I like the long narrow feel...
  • Options
    ghinsonghinson Registered Users Posts: 933 Major grins
    edited June 11, 2011
    Two pieces of advice, straighten the horizon some. And, if we cannot get more detail in the shadows, then we need to see less of the shadows in the composition, which is what you were looking for in the crop, but I would move the crop over to show more of the house and less of the trees, since there is more details in the house.
    uosuıɥ ƃǝɹƃ
    ackdoc.com
  • Options
    billseyebillseye Registered Users Posts: 847 Major grins
    edited June 11, 2011
    ghinson wrote: »
    Two pieces of advice, straighten the horizon some. And, if we cannot get more detail in the shadows, then we need to see less of the shadows in the composition, which is what you were looking for in the crop, but I would move the crop over to show more of the house and less of the trees, since there is more details in the house.
    15524779-Ti.gif
    Bill Banning

Check out billseye photos on SmugMug
  • Options
    edited June 11, 2011
    Cambyses wrote: »
    Nice shot, and nicely exposed around the sun. I just think there is a bit too much shadow with no detail on left side. So I think I would crop some of the tree on the left side.
    rteest42 wrote: »
    Definitely the color, and I agree, burn a bit of the foreground trees or crop and burn...the house could use a touch lighter, as well... but I like the long narrow feel...
    ghinson wrote: »
    billseye wrote: »
    15524779-Ti.gif

Thanks for the great advice everyone.. I think I'm going to try to edit it again and see how it comes out. :D
    Jenn (from Oklahoma)
  • Options
    edited June 11, 2011
    Here is a new edit and crop.. Better?

P1060016lightastheendC.jpg
    Jenn (from Oklahoma)
  • Options
    edited June 13, 2011
    pssst .. does this last edit look good? :D I'm looking for input to see if I'm improving along the way.. thanks!
    Jenn (from Oklahoma)
  • Options
    sapphire73sapphire73 Registered Users, Super Moderators Posts: 1,946 moderator
    edited June 13, 2011
    Jenn, I didn't make the initial suggestions but from my perspective, you cropped a bit too much of the trees to the left. Looking at #2, I would be interested in seeing a crop with one third cropped off the left side showing just as much of the house as in that shot. Leaving a bit more of the house in the shot, helps us see that it is a window (with something in front of it). I would also suggest leaving us a bit more of the foreground like you have in #2. Not sure if this helps you and is along the lines of what others suggested, but wanted to give you some input as the deadline is looming. :D

You may have tried this before, but you can hold a piece of paper up to your monitor to preview where you think it would be best to crop - before you start experimenting with it.

Gretchen
  • Options
    billseyebillseye Registered Users Posts: 847 Major grins
    edited June 13, 2011
    Sorry I missed this earlier, Jenn. I do think the crop improves it, but Sapphire's comment is right on. It also seems to still be a bit tilted to the right. You might try to use the vertical light pole to orient it.
    Bill Banning

Check out billseye photos on SmugMug
  • Options
    edited June 14, 2011
    sapphire73 wrote: »
    Jenn, I didn't make the initial suggestions but from my perspective, you cropped a bit too much of the trees to the left. Looking at #2, I would be interested in seeing a crop with one third cropped off the left side showing just as much of the house as in that shot. Leaving a bit more of the house in the shot, helps us see that it is a window (with something in front of it). I would also suggest leaving us a bit more of the foreground like you have in #2. Not sure if this helps you and is along the lines of what others suggested, but wanted to give you some input as the deadline is looming. :D

You may have tried this before, but you can hold a piece of paper up to your monitor to preview where you think it would be best to crop - before you start experimenting with it.

Gretchen

billseye wrote: »
    Sorry I missed this earlier, Jenn. I do think the crop improves it, but Sapphire's comment is right on. It also seems to still be a bit tilted to the right. You might try to use the vertical light pole to orient it.

Thanks for both your comments and suggestions. I kind of ran out of time to play with and edit the image more. I'm not sure I understand why the horizon has to be so horizontal? The horizon is actually hills that aren't straight no matter how many times I adjust the image it's not going to look straight in comparison to the light pole. How would I fix that?

I entered the image as is from my last edit. I was looking at all the other submitted images and got a bit discouraged because there are so many awesome images submitted...I thought no matter what I did to my image it wasn't going to be that great compared to everyone elses anyway! :) Maybe I kind of gave up trying on that one a bit...
    Jenn (from Oklahoma)
  • Options
    sapphire73sapphire73 Registered Users, Super Moderators Posts: 1,946 moderator
    edited June 14, 2011
    Jenn wrote: »
    Thanks for both your comments and suggestions. I kind of ran out of time to play with and edit the image more. I'm not sure I understand why the horizon has to be so horizontal? The horizon is actually hills that aren't straight no matter how many times I adjust the image it's not going to look straight in comparison to the light pole. How would I fix that?

In your first message, the image was tilted a bit to the left. In fixing that, you went just a bit too far to the right. The eye goes to things like the lamp post and the edge of the house to judge whether the image is tilted or not. As Bill suggested, the lamp post would be an especially good guideline for "leveling" this shot. Hope that helps!