Options

Another Horse

ShakeyShakey Registered Users Posts: 1,004 Major grins
edited July 16, 2004 in People
I know someone who loves horses I am thinking of framing this in a gray barnwood frame. 8x10

6173252-L.jpg

The horse is centered , do you think there is to much sky? What do you prefer a crop off the left side or right or leave as is?

Tim

Comments

• Options
    ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
    edited July 15, 2004
    I love the horse top and the sky, does the horse have legs, so to speak?
    Shakey wrote:
    I know someone who loves horses I am thinking of framing this in a gray barnwood frame. 8x10

6173252-S.jpg

The horse is centered , do you think there is to much sky? What do you prefer a crop off the left side or right or leave as is?

Tim

Tim, I love the horse and the sky, is there anymore horse in the original. I was real excited til I scrolled down. I would like to see more horse in the picture, but I like the picture anyway. To be absolutely fabulous, I think you need more horse, or that is just how it struck me.

Is he yours?

ginger

Trouble
    After all is said and done, it is the sweet tea.
  • Options
    snapapplesnapapple Registered Users Posts: 2,093 Major grins
    edited July 15, 2004
    Shakey wrote:

6173252-S.jpg

Tim

IMO I would like to see more horse. Was there something in the way?
    I'm going to try the crop. Get back to you
    "A wise man will make more opportunities than he finds." - Francis Bacon
    Susan Appel Photography My Blog
  • Options
    snapapplesnapapple Registered Users Posts: 2,093 Major grins
    edited July 15, 2004
    Yes, crop
    Shakey wrote:

6173252-S.jpg

Tim

Nice shot! Pretty horse, nice sky.
    I think, crop the left a bit. That leaves the horse looking into the picture with a little room around the edge. He's on the left third line. Here's my try in 8x10.
    "A wise man will make more opportunities than he finds." - Francis Bacon
    Susan Appel Photography My Blog
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited July 15, 2004
    Shakey has discovered Channel Mixer with a vengeance! Looks really good, Shakes. thumb.gif I agree with Snapapple's crop. Is there wide angle distortion of the horse's snout?
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    edited July 15, 2004
    Using the crop on the horse (play on words, there, hehe)
    wxwax wrote:
    Shakey has discovered Channel Mixer with a vengeance! Looks really good, Shakes. thumb.gif I agree with Snapapple's crop. Is there wide angle distortion of the horse's snout?

I concur. I like Snappy's crop, too. Since there is no more horse, the crop makes the whole photo really look top notch.

Yes, that is wide angle distortion, and I am not even privy to the info, but that is really neat in this shot, don't you think.

I read somewhere along time ago that that is not really distortion, that if you were to go stand in the same position as that lens is, was, whatever, it would look like that to you.

I love wide angle.

ginger

I don't make trouble, trouble makes me
  • Options
    edited July 15, 2004
    ginger_55 wrote:
    Yes, that is wide angle distortion, and I am not even privy to the info, but that is really neat in this shot, don't you think.

umph.gif Troublemaker.

rolleyes1.gif
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
  • Options
    edited July 15, 2004
    Channel Mixer????
    wxwax wrote:
    I want to know channel mixer if it looks like that! Is there a tutorial on it I wonder. Will do a search later. I have a marsh shot of the storm that I like, but I can't make the colors right, and I can't make it look good. Is better in blk and white, but the blk and white could be improved upon.

Also, if you have brush marks from cloning, how do you get rid of them? The blur, or other?

Trouble is my middle name, it formed me,
    ginger
  • Options
    edited July 16, 2004
    In channel mixer, try moving the Red slider as high as 160. Move the green slider to 140 or so, and move the blue slider as far to the left as you need to to balance it. Then fiddle. It will not work on all shots. But when it does, it creates the Ansel Adams type effect. I can't remember where I read it.

Not sure how to cure cloning borders. Sometimes cloning really small bits works best for me, sometimes that leaves a pattern and cloning bigger chunks works better. I often clone around the object as well, to disguise a pattern which is otherwise obvious. And you could try cloning around the sides of the object, using areas not too far from where you're cloning. Also, try different opacities and flows for the bordering areas, so they blend better.
    Sid.
  • Options
    ShakeyShakey Registered Users Posts: 1,004 Major grins
    edited July 16, 2004
    Snappy, your crop is right on thanks!

Ginger my black and white conversion method courtesy of a Andy Williams tutorial or link,mixed with my personal methods .

for the photo above;

Levels and curves, Masked Sky from Horse and fiddled a bit nothing extreme.

Cloned out : light post and floodlight that was protruding from horses back.
    Back of my wife's head(as beautiful as it is it had to go :D ) which was at the horses neck.

Most of the work went into these two corrections, masks are not perfect for me so I had to clone to fix mask anomolies.
    Sharpen , Unsharp mask.

B&W convert

Channel mixer select monochrome
    slide red to 50% + _ 1 or 2 %
    Slide green to same area 48-52%
    Leave blue alone
    Adjs level, contrast tweaked a hair -1 i think
    Selective color : select black, slide slider all the way over.
    Then make a layer mask and get a brush and remove areas that are to black for your liking. Again thanks to Andy for this tip.

Dodge and burn to taste.

Place in neat image and do all auto prompts.

Save as, and thats it.
    Original Horse shot here...
    6199906-M.jpg

For my Just a bike shot I did Auto levels , channel mixer, selective colors , burnt clouds, USM,upload to smugmug, total time in post including upload to smugmug...
    5-10 minutes.

Gosh I am lazy ne_nau.gif

Tim