A note from Matt
:
Subject cannot be posed, and cannot be looking at the camera

CLICK HERE TO VIEW THE GALLERY

or go to: www.smugmug.com

login: DgrinExtras
password: knockknock

Then go to: Wedding Challenge • 06/2011 • "B&W Candids"

From there you should be able to upload a pic, but let me know if you have any questions (see top right corner / UPLOAD > TO THIS GALLERY)
When you upload a photo, please name it with YOUR NAME, or your nickname (I need to be able to contact you, if you win, so don't make it too hard, haha). Please do NOT upload full res files as I can't take any responsibilities for it and don't want the photo to end up in the wrong hands. Feel free to put your name on the photo.

Once we announce the winner, the top 3 pics will receive a 1st / 2nd / 3rd place badge :D

The CUT-OFF date is June 30th. Matt will then have time to choose the 3 winners and will announce them by July 2nd :barb

Let me (or Matt) know if you have any questions, sounds pretty straight forward to me :D

:lust

Shhhhhht, there are 2 entries allowed per person.
Let's see what you got!!! :lynnma

Comments

• Options
    Matthew SavilleMatthew Saville Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,352 Major grins
    edited June 14, 2011
    Two samples have been uploaded. Good luck everybody! This one is pretty straightforward; I wanna see a LOT of entries!

=Matt=
    My first thought is always of light.” – Galen Rowell
    My SmugMug PortfolioMy Astro-Landscape Photo BlogDgrin Weddings Forum
  • Options
    Moogle PepperMoogle Pepper Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
    edited June 14, 2011
    Done and Done!
    Food & Culture.
    www.tednghiem.com
  • Options
    KinkajouKinkajou Registered Users Posts: 1,240 Major grins
    edited June 14, 2011
    Oooh! Excited about this one :)
    Webpage

Spread the love! Go comment on something!
  • Options
    ShimaShima Registered Users Posts: 2,547 Major grins
    edited June 19, 2011
    Love this challenge! I just uploaded my two entries :)
  • Options
    marikrismarikris Registered Users Posts: 930 Major grins
    edited June 24, 2011
    Sigh. I tried to comment on one of the photos I uploaded, but can someone delete it for me please? I tried logging into dgrinextras, but my computer is giving me a javascript error when I hit he delete button. It's the second to last photo right now, a profile of a bride.
  • Options
    chiphotographychiphotography Registered Users Posts: 80 Big grins
    edited June 29, 2011
    Just added my two. Looked through all the entries and there are some really good ones.
  • Options
    TPBinKCTPBinKC Registered Users Posts: 194 Major grins
    edited June 30, 2011
    I just added my two. Been a long time since I participated in a challenge. Lots of great shots in the gallery!!!
  • Options
    Matthew SavilleMatthew Saville Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,352 Major grins
    edited July 2, 2011
    Alright so it's July now, do I judge? :-)

=Matt=
  • Options
    AgnieszkaAgnieszka Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,263 Major grins
    edited July 2, 2011
    Alright so it's July now, do I judge? :-)

=Matt=

YUP thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited July 3, 2011
  • Options
    edited July 6, 2011
    FIRST PLACE:
    #20 - Shilliday Photography - The definition of "B&W", for sure. Using black and white tones themselves, plus shape and line, to play with the viewer's eye. For sure, this image would not have nearly as much impact if it were in color, in fact on average this much contrast / processing usually seems god-awful in a color image. But the deep blacks and bright whites captivate. It may not be the strongest image from a "fine art" standpoint, but it definitely stands out from the crowd as something fresh, bold, and of course pleasing to view.

SECOND PLACE:
    #24 - Chi Photography - Simple, elegant B&W image. Again, the image is a winner because I simply can't imagine it in color, nor do I care to. It just WORKS in B&W. And secondly, it is just a good image in general- simple subject, clean background, and the viewer's eye goes RIGHT to the main subject and stays there for a considerable amount of time instead of wandering around immediately.

THIRD PLACE TIE:
    #3 - Ted Nghiem - We're gonna have two third place winners here, simply because I feel like there are two more aspects of B&W imagery that I truly enjoy. This one being, the use of abstraction and subtle tones / lines in order to create something very much "fine art". I might have liked to see focus on the bride moreso than the window panes, but then again it is an artistic pleasure to view the anti-focused image as well, and certainly a much more bold artistic decision. Oh, and I also think that GRAIN plays a key role in this image being what it is. If it were perfectly clean, smooth and noise-less, it wouldn't work. Or at least it wouldn't move me in such a timeless way. Call me oldschool!

THIRD PLACE TIE:
    #12 - Lightcraft Photography - The other B&W concept that I consider to be a 'staple' in my arsenal is of course the medium-close portrait, usually of a man. I'm not a fan of the HDR-like weirdness or generally over-the-top enhancement of wrinkles and blemishes, but I do like the "rough" look that an absence of color can bring out so well. Matt found a perfect balance of contrast, brightness and detail / sharpness / clarity, so as not to over-do the gritty look, but once again to at least make the image work better in B&W than it would in color.

Thank you all for entering! It was quite difficult to decide, which you can see considering my inclusion of four images.

A few side notes in general, as tips to other entrants-

* When making a B&W image, shadows and highlights are CRITICAL. Tone itself is critical, I guess. And I saw a few images that were a little bright either in general, or on skin. I know there's a few Kubota etc. actions and general tricks out there for converting to B&W with added brightness to skin tones, (reds) ...but I honestly don't find it very flattering since it can make the eye do a double-take when viewing the image. Especially on American people, who generally would rather be seen as at least a little bit tan. So, watch your highlights! Just because it isn't blinking, doesn't mean it isn't too bright. This was one of the hardest things I had to learn about processing B&W images. Sometimes a upper-mid-tone is better suited for skin.

* In general, stick to the timeless B&W toning techniques. I know there are a number of ways to create a classic, or funky, sepia tone however again I guess I'm just not a fan of "the latest processing tricks". A faint warm hue usually never hurt a B&W image, but beyond that you really have to think about specifically WHY (or if at all) an image works better with this or that toning added to it. Never do anything without reason!

* Convert for the right reasons. In general, images have three things that can make them artistic or not- color, texture, and line. A B&W image works best when color doesn't make or break an image, but texture and/or line DO. This sounds obvious, but think about it the next time you convert an image to B&W. Is the image getting converted simply in an effort to spice up an otherwise ordinary photo? B&W might not "save" it. Does the image have strong lines, textures, or smooth / interesting tonal transitions? Chances are, the image is BETTER as a B&W, sometimes even to the extent that you don't even care to see it in color ever again. :-)

Alright, take care all!
    =Matt=
  • Options
    marikrismarikris Registered Users Posts: 930 Major grins
    edited July 6, 2011
    Fantastic points, Matt! Thanks for the excellent write up. Congrats, guys!
  • Options
    edited July 6, 2011
    yay!

Go Nicole!
    Food & Culture.
    www.tednghiem.com
  • Options
    nicoleshillidaynicoleshilliday Registered Users Posts: 549 Major grins
    edited July 6, 2011
    WooT! Thanks Matt. The photo was taken during an afternoon wedding. I was getting board (as i do during the end of the reception) and started taking some back lit shots. I think i have about 10 that look almost the same but ended up only processing this one. When i read the contest was B&W, I went back in the archives and dug it out. :D

Taking suggestions on themes ne_nau.gif
    Nicole
    D3, and other Nikon goodies
    Shilliday Photography
    Blog
    Facebook
  • Options
    p27rpyp27rpy Registered Users Posts: 520 Major grins
    edited July 6, 2011
  • Options
    zoomerzoomer Registered Users Posts: 3,688 Major grins
    edited July 6, 2011
    Lots of good shots in that gallery....my personal favorites were 5 8 11 27 in that order. All were excellent captures of a moment.
    Great idea for a challenge.

Congrats to the winners.
  • Options
    ShimaShima Registered Users Posts: 2,547 Major grins
    edited July 6, 2011
    zoomer wrote: »
    Lots of good shots in that gallery....my personal favorites were 5 8 11 27 in that order. All were excellent captures of a moment.
    Great idea for a challenge.

Congrats to the winners.

Yay glad I made your list zoomer :)

Congrats to the winners!!
  • Options
    mmmattmmmatt Registered Users Posts: 1,347 Major grins
    edited July 6, 2011
    Thanks for taking the time to write all that up Matt. I always appreciate your insight, and your comments are very understandable so I am sure many are learning from them. You hit me in a thread of mine a year or so ago with similar comments about b&w skintones, and I now think about my skintones all the time. It simply wasn't obvious to me until I took the time to play around with things based on your urging. The key is being conscious about it all I think, and just using your eyes. I think a lot of people get comfortable with a routine for conversions, when the reality is that there isn't some magic recipe that will always work. Well, certainly not to your standards of images bettered by, or intensely deserving of black and white.

So anyways thanks again. Lovely images everyone. Congrats Ted and Chi and Nicole! And Nicole... get crackin' girl!

Matt
    My Smugmug site

Bodies: Canon 5d mkII, 5d, 40d
    Lenses: 24-70 f2.8L, 70-200 f4.0L, 135 f2L, 85 f1.8, 50 1.8, 100 f2.8 macro, Tamron 28-105 f2.8
    Flash: 2x 580 exII, Canon ST-E2, 2x Pocket Wizard flexTT5, and some lower end studio strobes
  • Options
    nicoleshillidaynicoleshilliday Registered Users Posts: 549 Major grins
    edited July 6, 2011
    i see not one suggestion.... ne_nau.gif

Flowers? Emotions? Cakes...yummm? Color?
    Nicole
    D3, and other Nikon goodies
    Shilliday Photography
    Blog
    Facebook
  • Options
    edited July 7, 2011
    Hey guys! I'll be gone for a long weekend ... shooting in Boston ... Nicole, I prepared a new thread & gallery, can you please post the new theme there (thread) in the next day or two. Thanks so much!!

CONGRATS TO ALL THE WINNERS!!!!!
  • Options
    mmmattmmmatt Registered Users Posts: 1,347 Major grins
    edited July 7, 2011
    water
    i see not one suggestion....

Flowers? Emotions? Cakes...yummm? Color?
    My Smugmug site

Bodies: Canon 5d mkII, 5d, 40d
    Lenses: 24-70 f2.8L, 70-200 f4.0L, 135 f2L, 85 f1.8, 50 1.8, 100 f2.8 macro, Tamron 28-105 f2.8
    Flash: 2x 580 exII, Canon ST-E2, 2x Pocket Wizard flexTT5, and some lower end studio strobes
  • Options
    edited July 7, 2011
    Light!
    Food & Culture.
    www.tednghiem.com