Options

It'd be nice to give someone an extra print

NimaiNimai Registered Users Posts: 564 Major grins
edited December 1, 2011 in Mind Your Own Business
  • Ever wanted to add an extra surprise print to an order, as a gift to a good customer?
  • Had customers ask about metallic prints, or want to promote them? Add one!
  • Been unsure about how to crop a print in an order? Just add a second one, and crop it.
  • Want to advertise yourself or the next event you'll be at? Add a 4x6 glossy print ad!
Times like these, I've wanted to throw in an extra print or two as thanks, or as promotion. For the price of a 4x6, you could get a very happy customer!

I added a new feature request to be able to do just this.
Click here to vote for this, if you've ever wanted it!

http://uservoice.com/a/j307X

Comments

• Options
    MJRPHOTOMJRPHOTO Registered Users Posts: 432 Major grins
    edited June 14, 2011
    I do this all the time. Want to take a guess at how many times I got a responce back from the custormer? Maybe 3 out of 1000.
    www.mjrphoto.net
    Nikon D4, Nikon D3, Nikon D3
    Nikon 14-24 f2.8, Nikon 24-70 f2.8, Nikon 70-200 f2.8 VR II, Nikon 50 f1.8, Nikon 85 f1.4
    Nikon 300 f2.8 VR, Nikon 200-400 f4.0 VR II, Nikon 600 f4.0 II, TC-1.4, TC 1.7, TC 2.0
    (1) SB-800, (2) SB-900, (4) Multi Max Pocket Wizards
  • Options
    edited June 14, 2011
    MJRPHOTO wrote: »
    I do this all the time. Want to take a guess at how many times I got a responce back from the custormer? Maybe 3 out of 1000.
    Meaning, it doesn't matter?
    Maybe it's just how I like to do business, but I've always felt like what goes around comes around. I'd like to have more ways to make people feel special.
  • Options
    GlortGlort Registered Users Posts: 1,015 Major grins
    edited June 15, 2011
    MJRPHOTO wrote: »

You do better than I do then.

I shot the T&I for my sons baseball club one year, gave every one of them some trading cards for free and a bordered print for the clubs anniversary.
    I got complaints about stupid things beyond my control ( Like the kid just being ugly which I call " Subject Failure" ) but not one thank you.

At teh events I do often people may want 6 images on a disk but don't want to pay the higher cost for the 6-10 image disk so I tell them they can have the extra for free. Often you would swear you just gave these people a Kidney or a lung rather than an extra digital image.

I guess thats just the way it goes. Sometimes it pays to go the extra mile and sometimes it just comes back to bite you in the arse.

I like the idea of the 6x4 print as an announcement for events. Cheap and effective.
    I have some I use for promo like giant business card for one sector of the work I do. Seem very effective.
  • Options
    littlebayzombielittlebayzombie Registered Users Posts: 40 Big grins
    edited June 15, 2011
    For those of you who regularly gift extra prints and other freebies: do you include a note that mentions the "extra"? I'm sure many of you ship your orders with a "thanks for your business" letter, and I'm just wondering if adding a PS to the tune of, "I loved this shot, and so I've included an extra print- "x" looked great! I hope you'll enjoy it," might change the way people respond.

I could be way off base, but I think if I'd ordered multiple prints, I might be less likely to notice an extra/assume I'd ordered it accidentally/dismiss it as my own forgetfulness than to think that the photographer had thrown in a freebie.
    ♥ Jenifer
    I know the answer! The answer lies within the heart of all mankind! The answer is twelve? I think I'm in the wrong building. - Charles M. Schulz
  • Options
    edited June 15, 2011
    I write out a personal response to each and every order I get, even if it's short and sweet. Many of my "customers" are people I've met face-to-face, with kids in the school district, etc. If I could add a print to an order from time to time, I would definitely mention it in the email I send them.
    For those of you who regularly gift extra prints and other freebies: do you include a note that mentions the "extra"? I'm sure many of you ship your orders with a "thanks for your business" letter, and I'm just wondering if adding a PS to the tune of, "I loved this shot, and so I've included an extra print- "x" looked great! I hope you'll enjoy it," might change the way people respond.

I could be way off base, but I think if I'd ordered multiple prints, I might be less likely to notice an extra/assume I'd ordered it accidentally/dismiss it as my own forgetfulness than to think that the photographer had thrown in a freebie.
  • Options
    aj986saj986s Registered Users Posts: 1,100 Major grins
    edited June 15, 2011
    What about including a printed coupon offering a $$ discount on something special, like a larger print or special paper.
    Tony P.
    Canon 50D, 30D and Digital Rebel (plus some old friends - FTB and AE1)
    Long-time amateur.....wishing for more time to play
    Autocross and Track junkie
    tonyp.smugmug.com
  • Options
    SciurusNigerSciurusNiger Registered Users Posts: 256 Major grins
    edited June 19, 2011
    Funny...I just finished post-processing a political event shot last Thursday and while we were waiting for the national party chairman to arrive I took a few candids of the guests and did a few shots of our Secretary of State posing with some of the guests. All of these will be included on the CD even though the job I was paid to do was only the "meet & greet" with the national chair. The way I look at it is like this:
    1. I love to do this work (particularly the documentary aspect);
    2. At the end of the day the photos have no personal meaning to me except in the context of honing my craft;
    3. I was there waiting to work anyway.
    So for what was really just a little effort on my part this is an opportunity to create goodwill among those who value these kinds of photos. An important point since the 2012 election cycle starting to gear up.
    Garnered Images Photography

"Where beauty moves and wit delights and signs of kindness bind me; there, oh there, whe'er I go I leave my heart behind me." (Thomas Ford, 1607)
  • Options
    SamirDSamirD Registered Users Posts: 3,474 Major grins
    edited June 22, 2011
    Let's look at this from another perspective. When you get something for free, do you think more about buying it? In this economy and the 'free' mindset people have towards photography, I would think that giving away anything for free would just reinforce the 'free' factor.
    Pictures and Videos of the Huntsville Car Scene: www.huntsvillecarscene.com
    Want faster uploading? Vote for FTP!
  • Options
    Light_prodLight_prod Registered Users Posts: 127 Major grins
    edited December 1, 2011
    can I ask,

how are you guys adding images to an order? I'd like to do this for an order I have now but don't know how, or do I need to make my own separate order to do so?
  • Options
    gluwatergluwater Registered Users Posts: 3,599 Major grins
    edited December 1, 2011
    Light_prod wrote: »
    can I ask,

how are you guys adding images to an order? I'd like to do this for an order I have now but don't know how, or do I need to make my own separate order to do so?
    Hi Lara! I've got your email to the help desk and I'm writing a reply to it right now. Check your email in a few minutes.

Your work is stunning BTW!
    Nick
    SmugMug Technical Account Manager
    Travel = good. Woo, shooting!
    nickwphoto
  • Options
    Light_prodLight_prod Registered Users Posts: 127 Major grins
    edited December 1, 2011
    gluwater wrote: »
    Hi Lara! I've got your email to the help desk and I'm writing a reply to it right now. Check your email in a few minutes.

Your work is stunning BTW!

thumb.gif