Options

Photoblog ideas?

pickerbwpickerbw Registered Users Posts: 78 Big grins
edited June 22, 2011 in The Big Picture
Not sure if this is the appropriate place for this post, but here it is.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
<o:p></o:p>
I'm considering starting a photoblog. For now, it will mostly be just for me to get some motivation to get back into photography, but I will probably share the blog with friends and family in the future. I'd the blog to focus on my photography, but be flexible enough to add some background story, modify the look, etc. It needs to be simple, clean, and easy to navigate for people that aren't very computer savvy. I'd say I'm going for a minimalist look, but I’d also like it to look fancy, if that makes any sense…<o:p></o:p>
Does anyone have any experience using Pixelpost or WordPress for a photoblog? Any other platforms you would recommend? I have webhosting, so I guess I could use just about any platform, but Wordpress, PixelPost, ZenPhoto, and a couple others are already built-in.<o:p></o:p>
I started messing around a little last night with PixelPost and like the look (http://www.bradpickering.com) and functionality, but I just don’t know… I don’t have a very concrete idea how I want this to look, and what I want this to turn into… I guess I’m searching for some inspiration, so anyone else’s experiences/guidance would be greatly appreciated.<o:p></o:p>
Thanks! <o:p></o:p>

Comments

• Options
    dlplumerdlplumer Registered Users Posts: 8,081 Major grins
    edited June 14, 2011
    I use wordpress, and I like it very much. thumb.gif

My Blog
  • Options
    denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,247 moderator
    edited June 14, 2011
    I use blogger, and I'm quite happy with my blog as well. Link to my blog and my photo site is in my signature.

--- Denise
  • Options
    eoren1eoren1 Registered Users Posts: 2,391 Major grins
    edited June 16, 2011
    I think a self-hosted Wordpress installation offers the most functionality and room to grow. I started mine in August of 2010 as a way to learn more about the town. Used one of the built in themes and saw a slow but steady rise in followers. I recently revamped the site using a custom theme that I tweaked. I went for the a clean/minimalist but fancy look and got to where I'm very happy with it. Link below.
  • Options
    edited June 16, 2011
    Thanks for the input, everyone. I think I may check out Wordpress. It does seem to offer the most flexibility and room to grow.

Eyal, your blog is great, and I love your photography of Marblehead. Seems like a wonderful place to live. Your photopraphy makes me miss living in Philadelphia.

Brad
  • Options
    eoren1eoren1 Registered Users Posts: 2,391 Major grins
    edited June 16, 2011
    Thanks Brad.
    Wordpress takes a little while to 'get' but you can easily setup a basic blog with it and then go from there as you find your niche that drives you
    Good luck!
  • Options
    glewartglewart Registered Users Posts: 5 Beginner grinner
    edited June 21, 2011
    You can use blogger or wordpress but if you want something with a lot more room for customization, I suggest that you have one developed for you. There are a lot of developers offering such type of service with a good tag price. I remembered my first blog when I used a filmstrip / time line carousel to get the images to move. You can be awfully creative if you get your own. As you are a bit limited when it comes to the template blogging sites.
  • Options
    edited June 22, 2011
    glewart wrote: »
    You can use blogger or wordpress but if you want something with a lot more room for customization, I suggest that you have one developed for you. There are a lot of developers offering such type of service with a good tag price. I remembered my first blog when I used a filmstrip / time line carousel to get the images to move. You can be awfully creative if you get your own. As you are a bit limited when it comes to the template blogging sites.

Thanks for the input. I've been looking at some developers that have developed some pre-made "custom" templates for wordpress (at very affordable prices) and will probably go that route. This is purely for personal enjoyment and creative outlet, so I'm not looking to spend much at all on this.