Southern Cross & the Milky Way

El GatoEl Gato Registered Users Posts: 1,242 Major grins
edited June 16, 2011 in Other Cool Shots
Here is a "first attempt" at dipping my toe into the astro photography arena in earnest.

This photo was taken in Booderee National Park, at Murrays Beach, southern Australia, facing due East between 1745 and 1900 on 21 May, 2011.

Tripod mounted Nikon D300, with a Nikon AF-S 10-24mm f/3.5 lens, ISO 800, with programmable shutter release.

The image was created using Deep Sky Stacker software to concatenate 100, 20-second exposures, taken at 21 second intervals and 30 dark images (images that are completely black – shutter fired with lens cap on).

The image was then post-processed in Photoshop 4, with minor adjustments for levels, contrast and color, and Nik software suite to reduce background and sky noise

The brighter stars in the upper 1/3 of the photo, slightly off center, form the Southern Cross.

Comments

• DaddyODaddyO Registered Users Posts: 4,466 Major grins
    edited June 16, 2011
    One heck of a very nice first effort thumb.gif Seriously in the zone for know how.
    Well done clap.gif
    Michael
  • CornflakeCornflake Registered Users Posts: 3,346 Major grins
    edited June 16, 2011
    I don't know anything about such photography but I think it's amazing.
  • RoadkillRoadkill Registered Users Posts: 494 Major grins
    edited June 16, 2011
    I too, have little knowledge or experience ... But the shot is Breathtaking... clap.gif I would love to see a full image ?