Help me plan a National Parks road trip

WillCADWillCAD Registered Users Posts: 722 Major grins
edited August 15, 2011 in Location, Location, Location!
I don't travel much. My yearly vacation is almost always at Walt Disney World. But I've decided to try something new and exciting in 2012, and even though I have more than a year to plan it, I figured that the many traveling photographers here would be able to help me narrow my choices a bit.

I want to see some national parks. But I will only have about a week; probably an 8-day trip, total, in October. I have come up with two main options:

1) Fly from home in Baltimore to San Fransisco, see the Golden Gate and Alcatraz, maybe meet a few of the wonderful Dgrinners who live there, then drive to Yosemite, Sequoia, maybe Death Valley since it's on the way, up through Vegas to see the Hoover Dam and Valley of Fire (NV state park but well worth a visit), then on to Bryce and Zion. Return would be by driving back to Vegas and flying home.

2) Reverse it - Start in Vegas, drive up to Bryce and Zion, then reverse course and end up in San Fransisco for the flight home.

To do this, in either direction, I would have to do a one-way vehicle rental. Air is not a major problem, since I always fly Southwest and they're not picky about booking two one-ways vs a round-trip.

And again, I have three possible options for the transportation method:

1) Rent a small RV and stay at various campgrounds, RV parks, or camping areas in the national and state parks along the way. This one is my preference, but is probably the most expensive. I've also never driven an RV, and have no experience at operating one, though the rental places will teach you the basics when you take out their expensive equipment.

2) Rent a car and stay at various lodges, motels, and hotels. This one is probably cheaper than rening the RV when you factor in space rental, hookup fees, and of course the thousands upon thousands of gallons of gas that an RV uses, but it also generally puts me farther from the parks I want to see. I really like the idea of actually staying IN those parks, at least those with RV campgrounds.

3) Rent a car and tent camp in those places. This one is cheapest, but I haven't done any tent camping in over 20 years, and I'm not terribly enthused about sleeping on the ground and not having my own bathroom available. I also need some electrical hookups - I haven't shot film in 5 or 6 years, and I need power to charge my camera batts and run a laptop so I can download and backup my digital pics.

Argh, this turned into a novel. Any way, I'd appreciate some suggestions about my itinerary, route, and transportation method.
What I said when I saw the Grand Canyon for the first time: "The wide ain't wide enough and the zoom don't zoom enough!"

Comments

• denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,220 moderator
    edited June 15, 2011
    If you choose to start in Las Vegas - or if you end up driving through there - another park that's worth a stop is Red Rock Canyon National Conservation Area. It's just off the loop road to the west of Las Vegas.

I think you're trying to do too much in a short period of time. If it was me, I'd pick either San Francisco or Las Vegas as a starting and ending point and wander in the area. I could easily spend 8 days starting wandering between Death Valley, Zion, Bryce, with stops at the Hoover Dam, Valley of Fire, and Red Rock Canyon. And that probably wouldn't be enough time for me to be satisfied with my wanders in all of those parks.

--- Denise
  • WillCADWillCAD Registered Users Posts: 722 Major grins
    edited June 15, 2011
    On my previous trip to the Southwest in 2009, I did just that - stayed in Vegas and did day trips to Red Rock, Valley of Fire, Hoover Dam, and over to Grand Canyon Village. I loved them all! But I want to do the "road trip" thing this time. I know I can't see any of those places in depth; any one of them would be a good destination for a full week, in and of itself. In my entire life, I've only made it out there once before, and I don't know how often I'll be able to get out there in the future, so I want to do a grab-bag kind of thing so that I'll at least get to see a little bit of a bunch of places I've always wanted to see.
    What I said when I saw the Grand Canyon for the first time: "The wide ain't wide enough and the zoom don't zoom enough!"
  • denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,220 moderator
    edited June 15, 2011
    WillCAD wrote: »
    ...But I want to do the "road trip" thing this time. I know I can't see any of those places in depth; any one of them would be a good destination for a full week, in and of itself.
    Oh, I didn't mean to do day trips - I just meant to essentially cut the distance of the road trip to allow yourself more time in the parks. I didn't realize you'd seen them before or that your prime purpose of the trip was the "road trip" aspect.

--- Denise
  • anwmn1anwmn1 Registered Users Posts: 3,469 Major grins
    edited June 16, 2011
    Here are my suggestions:

Vehicle- rent a mid size SUV like a Ford Explorer or Chevy Trailblazer. Bring a sleeping bag and a foam mat or purchase a cheap egg crate foam pad once you arrive. Pay for tent sites in National Parks but sleep in the vehicle. This gives you the experience of staying in the parks, camping without the worries of a tent or sleeping on the ground, as well as having access to power & bathrooms. This also makes it easier to get up and get moving in a timely manner to catch sunrise in areas of the park where you cannot camp.

National Parks list:
    From San Francisco - head to Yosemite
    Take Hwy 120 (Tioga Pass) to Mono Lake & Bodie
    From Mono Lake head South the Kings Canyon and Sequoia National Parks (you will be on the wrong side of the range but it looks like there is stuff to shoot in Lone Pine, Aspendell, etc.
    Head to Death Valley
    If you have already done Bryce and Zion then I would suggest blitzing through Zion and head to Coral Pink Sand Dunes, Grand Canyon North Rim, and Page AZ.
    "The Journey of life is as much in oneself as the roads one travels"

Aaron Newman

Facebook: Capturing Light and Emotion
  • BendrBendr Registered Users Posts: 665 Major grins
    edited July 2, 2011
    anwmn1 wrote: »
    Here are my suggestions:

Vehicle- rent a mid size SUV like a Ford Explorer or Chevy Trailblazer. Bring a sleeping bag and a foam mat or purchase a cheap egg crate foam pad once you arrive. Pay for tent sites in National Parks but sleep in the vehicle. This gives you the experience of staying in the parks, camping without the worries of a tent or sleeping on the ground, as well as having access to power & bathrooms. This also makes it easier to get up and get moving in a timely manner to catch sunrise in areas of the park where you cannot camp.

I did something similar for my last trip with my sister, I rented a Prius, I got low fuel expenses, and at night, we parked at the campsites, set up a tent to put our bags in, and change in, then folded down all of the seats, and slept on pads. with our heads in the trunk and feet on the front seats. It was pretty comfy, and fairly roomy. Plus I could leave the car running all night to keep it warm, and it would use less than a gallon of gas.

If I were by myself it would have been even easier, I would have kept all of my gear on the drivers half of the car, then I just fold down the passenger side at night to sleep in.

I thought it worked really well for car camping... :)
  • JimKarczewskiJimKarczewski Registered Users Posts: 969 Major grins
    edited July 2, 2011
    Zion... If you've been there.. skip, Bryce was cool, but I ended up liking some of the other parks more than Bryce and Zion.. That's for sure. I just went in Oct 2010 and hit Page (Slot Canyons + Horseshoe Bend, but don't be like me and try for sunrise at Horseshoe.. D'oh!) I actually liked Cedar Breaks N.M. More than Bryce. I know, call my crazy, but it was MUCH less crowded (even in late Oct had issues getting camping or ANY kind of Lodging...) and there was snow on the ground which made for some very interesting shots (Cedar Breaks is 10,000+ Ft) And consider, if you have done Zion & Bryce, Arches? If you haven't.
    edited July 3, 2011
    Bendr wrote: »
    I did something similar for my last trip with my sister, I rented a Prius, I got low fuel expenses, and at night, we parked at the campsites, set up a tent to put our bags in, and change in, then folded down all of the seats, and slept on pads. with our heads in the trunk and feet on the front seats. It was pretty comfy, and fairly roomy. Plus I could leave the car running all night to keep it warm, and it would use less than a gallon of gas.

If I were by myself it would have been even easier, I would have kept all of my gear on the drivers half of the car, then I just fold down the passenger side at night to sleep in.

I thought it worked really well for car camping... :)

I have considered that option, though I think I'd need a larger vehicle than a Prius. I'm 6'-4".
  • a110p0a110p0 Registered Users Posts: 257 Major grins
    edited July 4, 2011
    Echo Aaron's suggestions.

The Owens Valley has a lot to offer and you'll probably see
    some fall colors as the aspen will be turning.

Places to see in the Owens Valley:
    * Convict Lake
    * Alabama Hills
    * Bristle Cone Pine trees in the White Mountains
    * Manzanar
    * Bodie
    * Mono Lake

Alvin
    Alvin
    Fremont, CA
    SmugMug Gallery
  • OffTopicOffTopic Registered Users Posts: 521 Major grins
    edited July 12, 2011
    I'm not going to add to or comment on the list of suggestions because you already have enough ideas to make your head swim! rolleyes1.gif Although...if you end the trip in San Francisco you might want to consider one day to drive the coast on PCH and see Big Sur if you never have before. Even though it's not a national park, everyone should do that drive at least once in their life and you'll be so close! Then you could fly home out of LAX. Haha, way too much to see in the locations you plan to visit! :D

Early or late October? As you plan your route be aware that by mid-October in California in the Sierras you may already face some seasonal road closures, such as Tioga Pass from Yosemite to Mono Lake (or vice versa) and make sure you have a backup route(s) planned out if you plan to head over the mountains. If we get early snow you will also be required to have chains on certain roads (mountain passes) and there are checkpoints, so I would ask about that when you rent your vehicle. All depends on how you map out your route and how you plan to get over the mountains (or go around them!). If you do it as you orginally planned and from Death Valley take the 15 to Las Vegas it wouldn't be a concern, but if you plan to do more in the Sierras and head from there it could be. It usually isn't an issue until late October, but better to be aware than to get blindsided when you're on vacation. Most of the major passes have websites that list conditions and closures, you can bookmark them on your laptop so you can check while you are on the road.

For electrical needs if you decide to camp, you can get a DC to AC power inverter that will plug into your car's power outlet/cigarette lighter and allows you to charge/power anything you need. Get one with 2 AC outlets and one USB outlet (if needed) and you should be all set. I spend days on the trail without electricity and would be lost without mine. Mine was about $50 and it's as fast as charging at home. You'd probably want to try to do most of your charging while you are driving or just for a few hours once in camp. I have a heavy duty battery in my jeep and have no problem leaving it powered up overnight, but I wouldn't recommend plugging everything into it and leaving it all night long on a regular car battery just to be on the safe side (although in a campground you should have no problem finding someone and getting a jump if you do drain your battery). Of course there is the green solar solar alternative like Goal 0, but it's much, much pricier and slower. Not worth it for one road trip IMHO.
    edited July 13, 2011
    OffTopic wrote: »
    I'm not going to add to or comment on the list of suggestions because you already have enough ideas to make your head swim! rolleyes1.gif Although...if you end the trip in San Francisco you might want to consider one day to drive the coast on PCH and see Big Sur if you never have before. Even though it's not a national park, everyone should do that drive at least once in their life and you'll be so close! Then you could fly home out of LAX. Haha, way too much to see in the locations you plan to visit! :D

You must be psychic, Lori, because just a few days ago I was looking at the map and started to consider a big loop that starts with the PCH: SF-LA-Vegas-Yosemite-SF. That loop would have me driving back north on the east side of the mountains and crossing back to the west further north, but I'll need to research that route better to find one that won't put me in a bad position with a rental vehicle, which won't have chains or 4WD.
  • OffTopicOffTopic Registered Users Posts: 521 Major grins
    edited July 19, 2011
    You must be psychic, Lori, because just a few days ago I was looking at the map and started to consider a big loop that starts with the PCH: SF-LA-Vegas-Yosemite-SF. That loop would have me driving back north on the east side of the mountains and crossing back to the west further north, but I'll need to research that route better to find one that won't put me in a bad position with a rental vehicle, which won't have chains or 4WD.

The chances of snow that early are slim, don't let the possibility rule your route planning. Just wanted you to be aware of the possibility so you aren't caught off guard if you will be traveling late in the month and we get hit with an early storm. If you'll be traveling early in the month it shouldn't even be a concern.

With the loop you have here, the 15 from Vegas to Yosemite would be a great backup, so you could either take 95 to 190 to 395 and head north on the eastern side of the mountains, passing through Death Valley, (and all kinds of wonderful places to see, people mentioned Lone Pine, Alabama Hills, Bristlecone Forest, etc.) and when you reach Lee Vining/Mono Lake head across on Tioga Pass (120) if it's open to Yosemite Valley. If we get early snow and Tioga Pass is closed your backup plan could be to take the 15 from Vegas back to Cali until you get to the western side of the mountains and head north (15 to the 58 to the 99) and hit Kings Canyon/Sequoia National Park along the way to Yosemite Valley. The eastern side is more remote and scenic (my favorite), but you'd skip Sequoia National Park. It's my recommendation because Tioga Pass is a must-do if it's open.

Another possibility if Tioga Pass is closed and you want something more scenic is to head south on 395 to 178; since 178 is at a lower elevation than Tioga Pass you shouldn't have to worry about closures. It can close due to flooding/erosion during storms later in the year but should be fine in October. Depends on whether you want slower scenic mountain pass or faster highways,

You just don't want to head up the eastern side and find out that Tioga Pass is closed and have to drive a couple hundred miles out of your way to go up and around the mountains so check on the conditions before you leave Las Vegas. There aren't many roads over the Sierras!

Since you are doing a national parks tour, FYI also along the 15 at Baker is the Mojave National Preserve (including Cinder Cones National Natural Landmark), another national park that is not as well known because it's not as 'user friendly'. If you're going that way it is well worth taking a detour for a few hours to see the highlights if you have the time in your schedule, especially the singing Kelso Sand Dunes.

My funny Las Vegas snow story: I've only known the 15 to close once because of snow since I've lived here (in the dead of winter). I live in south Orange County and got stranded in Vegas which is only a 4 hour drive away (and less than an hour by plane) a couple years ago because the snow level was about 1800 feet or something ridiculously low, the 15 was actually shut down at the pass and all flights heading west were grounded. It was gorgeous in Vegas and it was gorgeous at the beach at home, and I couldn't get over the mountains. Try explaining getting snowed in at Las Vegas! rolleyes1.gif
  • wpbarrwpbarr Registered Users Posts: 61 Big grins
    edited August 2, 2011
    My friend William did this last year:

http://drivetopark.wordpress.com/
    --
    Bill Barr
    6x7, 35mm, m4/3
  • candersoncanderson Registered Users Posts: 71 Big grins
    edited August 3, 2011
    I Highly recomend the option of a RV vacation. My wife and I have a 27' travel trailer and we love it. It is not difficult to drive one, you just have to keep in mind you are driving something longer and taller than you normally do so you have to act accordingly. I would recomend checking out gorving.com.
    Chris Anderson
    Canon EOS 20D
    http://www.lazycreekphoto.com

Teddy Roosevelt Revised: "Walk softly and carry a big lens."
    edited August 3, 2011
    Actually, Chris, as much as I really wanted to do the RV thing on this trip, I recently did a little figuring and found that the fuel costs alone will be prohibitively expensive. Add in the cost of the RV rental itself, and hookup and facility fees, and it's way out of my price range.

So I'm going to go with option 2 - rent a car and stay at various hotels, motels, and lodges. I'm a little dissapointed, but I can still see the same places I was going to see in an RV, so I'll just have to find a decent, inexpensive hotel or motel at each of my stops.

The big question now is the route. I'm currently looking at a big loop that would take me to Vegas (Hoover Dam and a couple of trails at Lake Meade), Tonopah, NV (darkest skies in the US for stargazing), Yosemite, San Fransisco, and down the PCH to Los Angeles. Since it's a big circle, I can fly into L.A., Vegas, or SF to start the trip. All three have major airports with plenty of non-stop flights from Baltimore, so if I go with this itinerary, which would take about 9 days, I can select any of them as a start/end point, depending on schedule.

I want to do this in mid to late October 2012, and time it so that my night in Tonopah corresponds with the dark of the moon, for max stargazing and astrophotography potential. The lunar cycle will determine which day I need to be in Tonopah, so I'll adjust the rest of the route accordingly.

And this is just a preliminary schedule, too; between now and then, I may come up with an entirely different route through a completely different set of destinations.
  • SequoiaSequoia Registered Users Posts: 20 Big grins
    edited August 7, 2011
    If you happen to include redwoods of sorts, I wouldn't get side-tracked in Muir Woods (National Monument). The best choices would be Redwood National Park or the Giant Sequoias east of Fresno.

The coastal will not be very busy even in summer. The Giant Sequoias can be a bit of a zoo. Coast redwoods photograph nicely all year, even better in winter.

Giant Sequoia, I feel, look best in warm season photos rather than winter shots. There are lots of nice winter photos out there, but lack of snow provides a full lower buttress view.

I think that late September and October are pretty good times to see the Giant Sequoia as crowds dwindle.
    edited August 8, 2011
    Gee, after seeing Rise of the Planet of the Apes, I was all jazzed to make a side trip to Muir Woods :D

Actually, in all seriousness, I may try a side trip to Muir Woods simply because it's not far from one of my primary destinations, the Golden Gate National Rec Area. When I visit SF, that, and Alcatraz, are my two must-see places, and since Muir Woods is right next to GGNRA, I may go there for a few hours anyway, depending on my schedule.

If I do the loop that I'm now looking at, Redwood NP is too far north, and Sequoia NP would cut into the PCH portion of the loop. But the loop is not set in stone, I may trash it and plan something else entire before I'm done. It's more than a year off, after all.
  • E L DavisE L Davis Registered Users Posts: 6 Beginner grinner
    edited August 9, 2011
    And again, I have three possible options for the transportation method:

1) Rent a small RV and stay at various campgrounds, RV parks, or camping areas in the national and state parks along the way. This one is my preference, but is probably the most expensive. I've also never driven an RV, and have no experience at operating one, though the rental places will teach you the basics when you take out their expensive equipment.

2) Rent a car and stay at various lodges, motels, and hotels. This one is probably cheaper than rening the RV when you factor in space rental, hookup fees, and of course the thousands upon thousands of gallons of gas that an RV uses, but it also generally puts me farther from the parks I want to see. I really like the idea of actually staying IN those parks, at least those with RV campgrounds.

3) Rent a car and tent camp in those places. This one is cheapest, but I haven't done any tent camping in over 20 years, and I'm not terribly enthused about sleeping on the ground and not having my own bathroom available. I also need some electrical hookups - I haven't shot film in 5 or 6 years, and I need power to charge my camera batts and run a laptop so I can download and backup my digital pics.

I just made my first trip to Yosemite in June, so I'd highly recommend a stop there. However, there are several things about Yosemite I need to impress upon you.

1) I strongly recommend at least a three-day stay at Yosemite. The place is impressive and really does demand your attention for that long in order to be fully appreciated.

2) Accomodations within Yosemite are tough to get, especially if you want to stay in any of the hotels/lodges there - which are extremely expensive (starting at $250/night). There are campsites, but as I don't camp anymore, I cannot advise you on the cost of those. However, the travel guides imply that ADVANCE RESERVATIONS ARE REQUIRED for ALL types of accomodations, as much as ONE YEAR IN ADVANCE. If you intend to stay in Yosemite at all, then you need to finalize your itenerary quickly so that you can proceed with making reservations. (I booked my room at the Wawona Lodge exactly one year in advance.)

3) Even if you attempt to stay outside Yosemite National Park, in Oakhurst for example, you'd STILL be up to a 1.5 hours drive from Yosemite Valley, where most of the sights are located. Take that into account when planning your trip. If you expect to do any late-night star gazing or early morning photography, it's best to stay in Yosemite Valley if you can afford it.

4) The ONLY source of gasoline in YNP is in Wanona, at the south end of the park, heading towards Fresno on Highway 41. It isn't cheap, either.

I am in Baltimore too, so if you have any specific questions about Yosemite, get in touch.

Ed
  • JimKarczewskiJimKarczewski Registered Users Posts: 969 Major grins
    edited August 15, 2011
    I was at Bryce & Zion last October, along with Arches... You will NOT find a camping spot in the National Parks. Unfortunately the don't accept reservations either. I wanted to really stay in the park because of travel time and cost (I get 1/2 off camping and free park entrance, guess something good out of my disability.) Anyway, I ended up having to spend about $24 a night for just a tent spot with Electric. I thought, October, Kids would be back in school, less crowded... Was I ever wrong...