First post -- Crown Point, OR

Dewey316Dewey316 Registered Users Posts: 6 Beginner grinner
edited June 17, 2011 in Landscapes
Hello,

I've been lurking on dgrin for a while, and entered this photo in the latest challenge. I thought I would come in here for some C&C on the shot, and also the edit I have done, and get some further advice on what I can do to make it better.

Here is the shot as entered, and as it came out of the camera:

DSC8687-XL.jpg

This is my first edit, I removed the branch in the middle, along with the one in the lower left, I removed a telephone pole, and made a very slight levels adjustment. Let me know what further changes might enhance this.

DSC8687-Edit-Edit-XL.jpg

Thanks,
John

Comments

• rhiturajrhituraj Registered Users Posts: 211 Major grins
    edited June 16, 2011
    I like the 2nd one. Welcome to dgrin. thumb.gif

Camera - $1700, Lens - $900, Memories - Priceless | www.rhitusworld.com
  • eoren1eoren1 Registered Users Posts: 2,391 Major grins
    edited June 16, 2011
    Nice shot John and welcome!
    My first thought on that first shot was to get rid of the distracting branches thumb.gif
    I'm a bit torn on whether a different crop would strengthen the image further. Right now, my eye jumps from the observatory (?) to the bright side of the hill/mountain. I want my eye to move across the beautiful layers but it won't...
    I did a virtual crop (moving browser window up/down) and think I like cropping out bottom where the green land meets at just above the brighter spot of the hill/mountain. You end up with the observatory as a focal point and the eye then moves along the S taking in the layers.
  • Doug SolisDoug Solis Registered Users Posts: 1,190 Major grins
    edited June 17, 2011
    I agree with Eyal that a crop modification may help your composition. I would also try this crop idea: crop from the top down until you have removed all of the sky, it really isnt doing anything for your image. I like the repetition of the red/orange rock below the observatory and the red rock on the face of the nearest mountain. Perhaps you can do a levels or curves adjustment to bring out the distant layers in the mountain ridges, that way it may help the eye move up the river and to the mountains.
  • idiotabroadidiotabroad Registered Users Posts: 246 Major grins
    edited June 17, 2011
    Yes Doug. I agree.
    Mark

If you don't agree with me then your wrong.
    I can't be held accountable for what I say, I'm bipolar.
  • Dewey316Dewey316 Registered Users Posts: 6 Beginner grinner
    edited June 17, 2011
    Thanks for the input guys! I cropped it the way Eyal suggested. I think it is a much stronger composition. I may crop some off the top too, and do a really wide perspective. I think maybe a combination of the two ideas may work out best. As much as I love the color and patterns of the cliff face, I do like the cropped version better.

DSC8687-Edit-Edit-XL.jpg
  • Dewey316Dewey316 Registered Users Posts: 6 Beginner grinner
    edited June 17, 2011
    Here is a tighter crop, and some adjustments. I wonder if it isn't too dark now, I might have to keep working at getting the levels right where I want them.

DSC8687-Edit-Edit-Edit-XL.jpg
  • tbastentbasten Registered Users Posts: 26 Big grins
    edited June 17, 2011
    IMHO, I would have to say that it is a bit dark now. The original photos seem to be better with regards to brightness
    Dewey316 wrote: »
    Here is a tighter crop, and some adjustments. I wonder if it isn't too dark now, I might have to keep working at getting the levels right where I want them.

DSC8687-Edit-Edit-Edit-XL.jpg