Portland Head Lighthouse

knapphknapph Registered Users Posts: 142 Major grins
edited June 18, 2011 in Landscapes
I have been doing some computer housecleaning and have come across a few shots of Portland Head Lighthouse that I had on my to be processed list. So, I processed them. (The real point of this posting is to entice you to visit Maine and spend some money here - we like our summer visitors).

From 21 August, 2008:

The small dark shape on the horizon just right of center is Ram Ledge Lighthouse.
trim000220080821-05394173NEF-2-M.jpg

This is the only time I have been able to shoot a contrail at sunrise. I liked the way it turned out.
20080821-05394173-M.jpg

The previous two shots were made from the south side of the lighthouse, this one is made from a spot on the cliffs to the north of the lighthouse.
20080821-06104365-2-M.jpg

Hope you enjoy and come visit us.

Knapp
Portland, Maine

Comments

• tbastentbasten Registered Users Posts: 26 Big grins
    edited June 17, 2011
    Great photos. I love the colour and composition
  • SeaSurfnBirdSeaSurfnBird Registered Users Posts: 66 Big grins
    edited June 17, 2011
    Nice sunrise! Too bad about the chem trail
    Jeff Parry Photography
    Nature, Lighthouses, Seascapes, Landscapes & Kite Aerial Fisheye Lens Photography
    My Photos: www.jeffparryphotography.com
    My Blog: http://jeffparryphotography.blogspot.com/
    My Facebook Page: http://www.facebook.jeffparryphotography
  • littlebayzombielittlebayzombie Registered Users Posts: 40 Big grins
    edited June 18, 2011
    If I ever visit Maine, it'll be to stalk Stephen King... but having seen these, I'll have to eek out some time for lighthouses, too. :)
    ♥ Jenifer
    I know the answer! The answer lies within the heart of all mankind! The answer is twelve? I think I'm in the wrong building. - Charles M. Schulz
  • David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,240 moderator
    edited June 18, 2011
    Wow! After shooting that a couple summers back at mid day, I can say that you got that in some really sweet light. Great job!
    My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
  • knapphknapph Registered Users Posts: 142 Major grins
    edited June 18, 2011
    Thanks
    Thanks to all of you for your comments. My wife and I picnic at Portland Head often and so we have thousands of images of it. Getting the sunrise in the summer is great except for it being so early. In the winter the sun rises at a much more civilized time but then you have to deal with ice and snow on the path to the location for the best winter composition. The early light is worth what ever it takes to get the shot. In this area we do not have a great location for sunset photos so we concentrate on the sunrises.
    I have been out at the lighthouse this week setting up for a shot I am going to try to get next week on the summer solstice. What I am trying to do is get sunrise images at both the summer and winter solstice from the same location. I plan to shot a pano as there is about a 66 degree difference in the position of the sun. I tried several lens and have decided to use a 35mm prime, vertical, and make 6 shots 15 degrees apart. I tried using a fisheye and a 10 degree lens to get the entire spread in one shot but I liked the added flexibility a pano will give me.

This is my test pano take with the 35mm lens:

1106161856SKH6144pano-M.jpg

At the summer solstice the sun will rise near the location of Ram Ledge Light, the small dot on the horizon to the left. At the winter solstice the sun will rise just to the left of Portland Head Light.

You can see a few more lighthouse images at http://www.stonecoastphotography.com/Collections/Lighthouses/14732080_Rg4Af.