1st attempt at waterfalls

AndManAndMan Registered Users Posts: 1,252 Major grins
edited June 26, 2011 in Landscapes
Managed to get out to a national park a couple of hours from home and got my first chance to shoot real waterfalls.

These are from a place called Lumsdale Valley in the Peak District National Park here in the UK.
There hadn't been any rain in a while, which was a good thing as I was able to make my way out onto the moss covered rocks in the stream.

All c&c much appreciated.

DSCF2367-L.jpg

DSCF2382-1-L.jpg

DSCF2400-L.jpg

DSCF2423-bw-L.jpg

DSCF2446-bw-L.jpg

DSCF2453-L.jpg

Thanks for looking
Peter

www.andmanphotography.com

Facebook Fan Page

"Landscape photography is the supreme test of the photographer - and often the supreme disappointment." Ansel Adams

Comments

• karlabbottkarlabbott Registered Users Posts: 401 Major grins
    edited June 15, 2011
    These are rather nice, especially for a first attempt at waterfalls. thumb.gif

A few nitpicks:

* In #1, there is some greenery on the upper right hand side that was obviously blowing around.
    * In #2, you have a bit more light than you want shining on the scene. When it's overcast and/or raining, that's the best time to shoot waterfalls as you need that soft light to best expose these tricky subjects. Same thing happened in #6.

Your compositions are overall generally pleasing. If you haven't seen this set of tutorials yet, I highly recommend: http://ronbigelow.com/articles/waterfalls-1/waterfalls-1.htm -- fascinating resource, quite frankly.

Excellent first waterfall shoot and look forward to seeing more! :D
  • IcebearIcebear Registered Users Posts: 4,015 Major grins
    edited June 15, 2011
    15524779-Ti.gif
    And I echo the sentiment that they are very pleasing images.
    Did you use a ND filter? If so, what density?
    John :
    Natural selection is responsible for every living thing that exists.
    D3s, D500, D5300, and way more glass than the wife knows about.
  • AndManAndMan Registered Users Posts: 1,252 Major grins
    edited June 26, 2011
    karlabbott wrote: »
    These are rather nice, especially for a first attempt at waterfalls. thumb.gif

A few nitpicks:

* In #1, there is some greenery on the upper right hand side that was obviously blowing around.
    * In #2, you have a bit more light than you want shining on the scene. When it's overcast and/or raining, that's the best time to shoot waterfalls as you need that soft light to best expose these tricky subjects. Same thing happened in #6.

Your compositions are overall generally pleasing. If you haven't seen this set of tutorials yet, I highly recommend: http://ronbigelow.com/articles/waterfalls-1/waterfalls-1.htm -- fascinating resource, quite frankly.

Excellent first waterfall shoot and look forward to seeing more! :D
    Thanks for the feedback and the link Karl, it is much appreciated.
    This place is in a wooded area but the sun did break through causing the blown out areas.
    Peter

Facebook Fan Page

"Landscape photography is the supreme test of the photographer - and often the supreme disappointment." Ansel Adams
  • AndManAndMan Registered Users Posts: 1,252 Major grins
    edited June 26, 2011
    Icebear wrote: »
    15524779-Ti.gif
    And I echo the sentiment that they are very pleasing images.
    Did you use a ND filter? If so, what density?
    Thanks for commenting.
    I used an ND8 to generate 3-5 second exposures @ f8-f11
    Since there wasn't a significant flow of water this was the only way to get close to what I was aiming for.
    Peter

Facebook Fan Page

• WernerGWernerG Registered Users Posts: 534 Major grins
    edited June 26, 2011
    I would suggest trying a few shorter exposures. These gentle waterfalls often have concentrations of internal flow lines within overall flow that can add contrast and visual interest. You might try a few at 1/8, 1/4, 1/2 and see if you like them. The longer exposures create a more featureless, misty appearance that is also attractive but the shorter exposures still show motion but retain more structure within the flow.