Options

sony/canon exif display

eye-maxeye-max Registered Users Posts: 130 Major grins
edited October 8, 2005 in SmugMug Support
I have a problem. In my galleries at smugmug the camera exif display isn't constant. The Sony info displays, the Canon 10d doesn't. Both are in same gallery, both are jpegs, both contain the meta data, both had identical pp, (levels, curves, & sharpening of the red channel). The Sony display gives me "camera" & "more details"; the Canon display doesn't.
:confused:dunno :scratch :cry :1drink
max

Comments

• Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited October 8, 2005
    eye-max wrote:
    both had identical pp

it would help if you turned "photo details" on so we could see deal.gif

are you sure you didn't "save for web" on the canon imgs? ear.gif
  • Options
    edited October 8, 2005
    hi
    andy wrote:
    it would help if you turned "photo details" on so we could see deal.gif

are you sure you didn't "save for web" on the canon imgs? ear.gif
    HI andy

I'm not sure what you mean by "photo details", I have "Camera Details" turned on. I never use that "save for web", I use "save as" and create a jpeg.
    here's the gallery. Img's 1 - 4 are Sony, 5-8 are Canon.
    max
  • Options
    jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
    edited October 8, 2005
    There is something wrong here...
    eye-max wrote:
    HI andy

I'm not sure what you mean by "photo details", I have "Camera Details" turned on. I never use that "save for web", I use "save as" and create a jpeg.
    here's the gallery. Img's 1 - 4 are Sony, 5-8 are Canon.
    Andy, there does appear to be something wrong with this case. I was able to grab the original for this image which doesn't offer any EXIF info on smugmug. When I take it into Photoshop, I see all the normal EXIF info on the original.

So, EXIF info is available on the image. Some images in the gallery are showing EXIF info which must mean he has it turned on for the gallery. But this image isn't showing any EXIF info.

Is the EXIF info somehow not supported by smugmug? Or does smugmug have a bug in reading the EXIF on this image?

--John
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    JFriend's javascript customizationsSecrets for getting fast answers on Dgrin
    Always include a link to your site when posting a question
  • Options
    edited October 8, 2005
    if it comes to smugmug in the expected format, it shows up in smugmug no problem. something's happening here in the workflow i have to believe, becuase i have canon 10d images that i have no issues with smugmug showing the proper exif - and i see that you are not using "save for web" .. very strange!

let's try an experiment please? take a picture with your 10d, standard full res jpg. do not touch it in photoshop. just upload it to your gallery. then see about the exif, ok?

ear.gif
  • Options
    edited October 8, 2005
    Andy
    andy wrote:
    if it comes to smugmug in the expected format, it shows up in smugmug no problem. something's happening here in the workflow i have to believe, becuase i have canon 10d images that i have no issues with smugmug showing the proper exif - and i see that you are not using "save for web" .. very strange!

let's try an experiment please? take a picture with your 10d, standard full res jpg. do not touch it in photoshop. just upload it to your gallery. then see about the exif, ok?

ear.gif
    Hi Andy
    thanks for your time & effort on this matter.
    The Sony & Canon images had the same work flow with the exception of the raw conversion on the Canon. Here's a pic that went through raw conversion then was saved as a jpeg.
    Whats confusing me ie that the info is in the Canon file
    max
  • Options
    edited October 8, 2005
    eye-max wrote:
    Hi Andy
    thanks for your time & effort on this matter.
    The Sony & Canon images had the same work flow with the exception of the raw conversion on the Canon. Here's a pic that went through raw conversion then was saved as a jpeg.
    Whats confusing me ie that the info is in the Canon file

fine - but would you please please shoot a jpg from the camera, and upload that? i'm trying to remove the raw conversion, and photoshop, from the equation in order to solve the problem...

1 jpg, shot with the 10d. not converted by any raw converter. thanks.

ear.gif
  • Options
    edited October 8, 2005
    oooooooooooh I get you
    andy wrote:
    fine - but would you please please shoot a jpg from the camera, and upload that? i'm trying to remove the raw conversion, and photoshop, from the equation in order to solve the problem...

1 jpg, shot with the 10d. not converted by any raw converter. thanks.

ear.gif
    Sorry Andy sometimes it takes a while for the info to sink in.
    you hit the nail on the head Andy. The jpeg shows the info. The problem would appear to be the raw conversion. I'm using PSCS (8). Any ideas.
    max
  • Options
    edited October 8, 2005
    eye-max wrote:
    Sorry Andy sometimes it takes a while for the info to sink in.
    [font

okay now, we're getting somewhere. so, something's happening in your workflow, to strip out the exif. you'll need to seriously list out in excruciating detail your exact workflow. i'm sure we can get to the bottom of it.

for now, this case is 'solved' as far as smugmug is concerned but we're gonna help you out my friend deal.gif
  • Options
    jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
    edited October 8, 2005
    It's not actually getting stripped
    andy wrote:
    okay now, we're getting somewhere. so, something's happening in your workflow, to strip out the exif. you'll need to seriously list out in excruciating detail your exact workflow. i'm sure we can get to the bottom of it.

for now, this case is 'solved' as far as smugmug is concerned but we're gonna help you out my friend deal.gif
    Just to point out, that the EXIF isn't getting stripped out. It's present in images that smugmug doesn't display it for (per the experiment in my earlier message). It may be getting corrupted or formatted in a way smugmug isn't expecting, but it isn't actually getting lost or stripped. I just thought I'd point that out since that may be relevant in figuring out which workflow step is messing it up.

--John
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    JFriend's javascript customizationsSecrets for getting fast answers on Dgrin
    Always include a link to your site when posting a question
  • Options
    edited October 8, 2005
    jfriend wrote:
    Just to point out, that the EXIF isn't getting stripped out. It's present in images that smugmug doesn't display it for (per the experiment in my earlier message). It may be getting corrupted or formatted in a way smugmug isn't expecting, but it isn't actually getting lost or stripped. I just thought I'd point that out since that may be relevant in figuring out which workflow step is messing it up.

--John

it's getting corrupted or moved 'round somehow in the workflow process. by having the op shoot a jpg from the camera, and uploading it, the exif is displayed within smugmug as expected. something's happening on the way to the delicatessen, we'll figure it out....
  • Options
    edited October 8, 2005
    andy wrote:
    it's getting corrupted or moved 'round somehow in the workflow process. by having the op shoot a jpg from the camera, and uploading it, the exif is displayed within smugmug as expected. something's happening on the way to the delicatessen, we'll figure it out....
    well I opened a raw file with the browser, with no adjustments and saved it as an uncompressed jpeg and no exif displays but file has it. This is the browser with the file in question.

39167887-L.jpg
    max
  • Options
    edited October 8, 2005
    eye-max wrote:
    well I opened a raw file with the browser, with no adjustments and saved it as an uncompressed jpeg and no exif displays but file has it. This is the browser with the file in question.

we need to see the complete workflow. all the steps, gory detail from acr thru photoshop and onto your hard drive. thanks.