Options

#79 First shot

travelwaystravelways Registered Users Posts: 7,854 Major grins
edited June 20, 2011 in The Dgrin Challenges
I took this this morning, but I was not sure if I should post it or not, because it's quite simple and it may not be
for the level of a contest, but I personally like it:

#1 Early summer rose

i-mFpW4Pb-L.jpg

What do you think?

Thank you,
Tatiana - Seeing the world through my camera
TravelwaysPhotos.com ...... Facebook
VegasGreatAttractions.com
Travelways.com

Comments

• Options
    torrbraetorrbrae Registered Users Posts: 203 Major grins
    edited June 16, 2011
    I like it! I think it is the simplicity of the picture that makes it. Also, while would normally expect a wire fence behind to be distracting, in this case think adds to the picture. Nice shot.
  • Options
    powderpowder Registered Users Posts: 84 Big grins
    edited June 16, 2011
    I would like to see the largest rose more to the right ...rule of 1/3s-ish, but I like the contrasts of the soft nature with the harsher fence. ~Joy
  • Options
    edited June 16, 2011
    Thank you both - it's just a first trial...
    powder wrote: »
    I would like to see the largest rose more to the right ...rule of 1/3s-ish, but I like the contrasts of the soft nature with the harsher fence. ~Joy

I know, I would have loved this too, but on the left side there were some distracting things that I didn't want to be in the image. I guess I can try to get closer, if the lens will allow me to do that - I didn't use a tripod - I was just walking and this grabbed my attention.

Thank you again, I'll come back with other shots. :)
    Travelways.com
  • Options
    WhatSheSawWhatSheSaw Registered Users Posts: 2,221 Major grins
    edited June 17, 2011
    This is one of my favorite themes - the juxtaposition of the natural and man-made. It seems a little bright to me. A small adjustment on the exposure might make it better.
  • Options
    ic4uic4u Registered Users Posts: 1,455 Major grins
    edited June 17, 2011
    To be honest Tatiana, I like this one, but after seeing what you're capable of over the last few years, I think you have something better up your sleevemwink.gif
    With all of your traveling you do, I'm a little surprised to see you post a flora pic, you have such a knack for "street" style, and architecture. This is of course just my opinion, you have an incredible eye, can't wait to see what else you come up with!
    Karin

"Dance like no one is watching. Sing like no one is listening. Love like you've never been hurt and live like it's heaven on Earth." — Mark Twain
  • Options
    edited June 17, 2011
    Thank you WhatSheSaw and Karin.

Karin, I really appreciate your comment - thank you so much iloveyou.gif

I know what you mean and yes, sure I'll come up with something else :D

- I'm home now and getting to exciting things is not as easy as when traveling, and have to depend on my husband's time to drive me to some places...
    (well, I've been working from home for a few years and almost forgot how to drive...).

There are very interesting things around Ottawa (where I live), including beautiful architecture, like the St. Mary's Cathedral :)

- sure, I'll go and get some - Thank you so much again thumb.gif
    Travelways.com
  • Options
    SeascapeSSeascapeS Registered Users Posts: 814 Major grins
    edited June 18, 2011
    I agree with Karin - I was thinking the same thing. You set the bar high for yourself!
    SandiZ
    If I could tell the story in words, I wouldn't need to lug around a camera. ~Lewis Hine
    http://sandizphotos-seascapes.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    edited June 18, 2011
    SeascapeS wrote: »
    I agree with Karin - I was thinking the same thing. You set the bar high for yourself!

Got it thumb.gif

Thank you Sandyiloveyou.gif

Now, let's go back to the manuals and learn how to use our cameras in the best way for producing a SOOC headscratch.gif
    Travelways.com
  • Options
    billseyebillseye Registered Users Posts: 847 Major grins
    edited June 20, 2011
    Gotta say, this is not my normal comfort zone... I've gotten pretty absorbed with post-processing. This is the kind of challenge that pushes us to be better with the hardware instead of the software.

That said, I do like what you posted here and agree with WhatSheSaw about the juxtaposition of natural and man-made. Looking forward to whatever else you come up with.
    Bill Banning

Check out billseye photos on SmugMug
  • Options
    sapphire73sapphire73 Registered Users, Super Moderators Posts: 1,946 moderator
    edited June 20, 2011
    Sounds like you are going to look for other subjects. If you revisit these roses, I would love to see a little more of the bud to the lower left - if that doesn't mess up some other aspect of your image.

Have fun with it!