Options

SOOC possibilities??

konomaniackonomaniac Registered Users Posts: 335 Major grins
edited June 20, 2011 in The Dgrin Challenges
It's been a couple of weeks. I never thought unemployment would keep me so busy :D

I was supposed to umpire a Little League game tonight, but a nice little thunder storm took care of that. After the storm passed, I grabbed the camera and caught some sunsets - thoughts??

IMGP2389-M.jpg

IMGP2391-M.jpg

IMGP2410-M.jpg

IMGP2411-M.jpg
--- Kono ---
Pentax K-x and assorted lenses

Comments

• Options
    travelwaystravelways Registered Users Posts: 7,854 Major grins
    edited June 16, 2011
    The last one is very nice, but maybe you can frame it a little different to leave less dark on the bottom...headscratch.gif
    Tatiana - Seeing the world through my camera
    TravelwaysPhotos.com ...... Facebook
    VegasGreatAttractions.com
    Travelways.com
  • Options
    edited June 16, 2011
    Thanks for the comment - unfortunately, the sky beyond that point just isn't exciting. The last 2 shots were an accidental find - I had been taking some shots at the resevoir and then drove up the hill to see if I could catch some lightning shots (no luck). I got in the truck and started to head home - when I turned a corner there was this bright orange ball on the horizon peeking out over the hill and between the trees. I'll keep looking for a better location :D
    --- Kono ---
  • Options
    DirquistDirquist Registered Users Posts: 81 Big grins
    edited June 16, 2011
    Yeah, I like #1 best. #3 and #4 distract me in that it almost looks like the sun if going down behind a building or something with straight lines. It just doesn't seem natural to have something with straight lines like that in a nature scene and I cant stop looking at whatever it is. Btw, what is it lol. Or am I just crazy.
  • Options
    PedalGirlPedalGirl Registered Users Posts: 794 Major grins
    edited June 16, 2011
    I actually like 3 & 4 with the tree in the foreground. Could use a bit less dead on the bottom... but still nice. Too bad no cropping in this challenge! :)
    Pho-tog-ra-pher (n) 1. One who practices photography 2. one obsessed with capturing life with their camera. 3. One who eats, sleeps and breathes photographs. 4. One who sees the world in 4x6.
    www.lisaspeakmanphotography.com
  • Options
    edited June 16, 2011
    Dirquist wrote: »
    Yeah, I like #1 best. #3 and #4 distract me in that it almost looks like the sun if going down behind a building or something with straight lines. It just doesn't seem natural to have something with straight lines like that in a nature scene and I cant stop looking at whatever it is. Btw, what is it lol. Or am I just crazy.

You called it - it's a large factory. I was hoping it wouldn't be too distracting.
    --- Kono ---
  • Options
    edited June 16, 2011
    PedalGirl wrote: »
    I actually like 3 & 4 with the tree in the foreground. Could use a bit less dead on the bottom... but still nice. Too bad no cropping in this challenge! :)

Thanks for the comment - I love the color in 3 & 4, and I kind of like the lonely tree. I had a choice of dark foreground or boring sky.

It's tough to take a spectacular sunset (especially sooc) - I've done a lot of good sunsets, but not a spectacular one yet. Still trying :D.

As for no cropping?? That's why they call it a challenge. rolleyes1.gif
    --- Kono ---
  • Options
    WhatSheSawWhatSheSaw Registered Users Posts: 2,221 Major grins
    edited June 17, 2011
    The last 2 seem a little dark on my laptop.
  • Options
    billseyebillseye Registered Users Posts: 847 Major grins
    edited June 19, 2011
    Wow! Beautiful colors in the skies of all four. I think I like #1 best of this set. In general, I think sunsets are gonna be tough in a SOOC challenge unless the foreground stand as a dark silhouette and not need to be lightened in the shadows. I think this will be a challenge for any of your shots, which all have a very wide dynamic range and no way to correct either the shadows or the highlights.
    Bill Banning

Check out billseye photos on SmugMug
  • Options
    edited June 20, 2011
    billseye wrote: »
    Wow! Beautiful colors in the skies of all four. I think I like #1 best of this set. In general, I think sunsets are gonna be tough in a SOOC challenge unless the foreground stand as a dark silhouette and not need to be lightened in the shadows. I think this will be a challenge for any of your shots, which all have a very wide dynamic range and no way to correct either the shadows beor the highlights.

Thanks Bill - I agree. SOOC, these are okay, but they need processing to mae them pop. Fortunately, my wife and I spent a fantastic day yesterday at an event nearby which featured a small rodeo and a demolition derby
    --- Kono ---
  • Options
    sapphire73sapphire73 Registered Users, Super Moderators Posts: 1,946 moderator
    edited June 20, 2011
    I like one and four (in that order) for this current batch of possibilities. Sounds like you will be posting (or have posted) some other options as well?

Have fun with it!