Introducing...

slpollettslpollett Registered Users Posts: 1,216 Major grins
edited June 19, 2011 in Other Cool Shots
For a few years now, my daughter (now 15) has been "borrowing" my camera and taking pictures of whatever caught her eye. She saved her allowance and other money she earned and has now purchased her own camera--a Canon Rebel XS. Owning her own camera hasn't stopped her from borrowing one of my cameras when it's more convenient for her though! :wink

Last week, we were lucky enough to spend a week's vacation in Washington DC. She decided that she didn't need to carry her camera around if Mom was toting two, so she used whichever one I wasn't using.

During a visit to the National Botanic Garden, she shot with my point & shoot (a Canon Power Shot SX30-IS). Here's a teaser shot, SOOC (she hasn't learned how to use the editing software yet). I'll let her most some more.

IMG0301-L.jpg

I think she did rather well, but I'm just the Mom. What do you think?

Thanks for looking,
Sherry, Mom of Krista

Comments

• KristaPKristaP Registered Users Posts: 5 Beginner grinner
    edited June 16, 2011
    Here are more of my favorites from the National Botanic Gardens.

Thanks for looking. :D

IMG0240-L.jpg

IMG0284-L.jpg

IMG0305-L.jpg

IMG0244-L.jpg

IMG0291-2-L.jpg

IMG0266-L.jpg

This one was taken in my backyard. I used my Mom's camera because it was before I bought my own.

1241463410_bJCHZ-L.jpg

Any suggestions for improvement are welcomed. :D

Thanks for looking.
    Krista
  • PantherPanther Registered Users Posts: 3,658 Major grins
    edited June 16, 2011
    Howdy Sherry,

I agree, I think she did very well, lots of very nice detail,
    and good lighting.

You have to be very proud of her for picking up such
    a wonderful Hobby and Lifelong Thrill.

Look forward to seeing more of "Both" your Images.

Kindest Regards,

Craig
    Take care,

Craig

Burleson, Texas
  • jirojiro Registered Users Posts: 1,865 Major grins
    edited June 16, 2011
    Krista, you definitely knows how to pick a good subject to photograph. The exposure is also handled very well. What might probably improve your photographic skills a lot would be a study about composition, how you control the depth of field to your advantage, and waiting for the right kind of light to add drama and impact to your images. If these shots are all SOOC, I wouldn't be surprised to see amazing images from you once you have learned to use post-processing softwares like Adobe Lightroom or Photoshop. Keep shooting and keep borrowing your Mom's camera for practice. mwink.gifthumb.gifrolleyes1.gif
    Sitting quietly, doing nothing. Spring comes and the grass grows by itself.

http://imagesbyjirobau.blogspot.com/
  • KristaPKristaP Registered Users Posts: 5 Beginner grinner
    edited June 17, 2011
    Thank you both for the kind words. I love photography and plan to learn more about my camera and how to use photoshop.

Krista P.
  • ThatCanonGuyThatCanonGuy Registered Users Posts: 1,778 Major grins
    edited June 18, 2011
    Good shots... I like #5 the best. I second the suggestion to learn about DOF. However, I think composition is something that comes naturally when you just shoot a lot of images... so keep shooting! The rule of thirds will get you started though. Yes, learning Photoshop will help as well. There are actually a lot of great tutorials right here on DGrin, like this one. I find that tutorial to really help my images sometimes thumb.gif

I would get closer to the flowers... for the lilies, focus is best on the pistil/stamens (I think that's what they're called?). You can see what I mean in my Flowers gallery on my website.
  • DogdotsDogdots Registered Users Posts: 8,795 Major grins
    edited June 19, 2011
    Hello :D

I really like #7. The simplicity of it works great in my opinion. Sharpness is great and a rusty pot to boot thumb.gif