Lightening strike

RoadkillRoadkill Registered Users Posts: 494 Major grins
edited June 21, 2011 in Other Cool Shots
I have yet to get that really spectacular lightening strike... This one is about my best so far... Tips... suggestions.. processes ?

storm552611-L.jpg

Comments

• RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,955 moderator
    edited June 17, 2011
    Wow! Beautiful sky and perfect exposure. One nit: I'd crop the right side just enough to get rid of the pole there.

Fine work.
  • M38A1M38A1 Registered Users Posts: 1,317 Major grins
    edited June 17, 2011
    I see you ran a 2 second exposure for this. Is the general approach to shooting lightning to expose shot after shot hoping the strike will occur? Or do you see it happening and then release the shutter?
  • UmmmHowsThatUmmmHowsThat Registered Users Posts: 93 Big grins
    edited June 18, 2011
    GREAT SHOT!!!

M38A1 - the few times I've tried to capture lightning, I've had my camera on a tripod aimed towards the clouds and kept firing off 2-3 second exposures via a remote. Eventually, you get something good! Especially if the sky is really active.

Again, this is a wonderful shot!
    -Bryan

• DaddyODaddyO Registered Users Posts: 4,466 Major grins
    edited June 19, 2011
    clap.gif
    If I'd have fired this one off, I'd have been seriously pleased with my effort and then tagged it to go with the other really nice ones, like this, that will follow or that have happened already. Its a fine shot. Love all the sweet details I can view in it thumb.gif
    Michael
  • red_zonered_zone Registered Users Posts: 533 Major grins
    edited June 20, 2011
    Scott - I think the process you described is the only way to do it without special equipment. If you wait until you see it you're already too late. There is a device called a lightning trigger that will react faster and catch only lightning strikes, but I've never actually seen one in person.
    Thanks for the tips on shooting lightning. I'll give it a go.
  • aj986saj986s Registered Users Posts: 1,100 Major grins
    edited June 21, 2011
    I agree, that except for the pole on the right side, it is a truly stunning caputure!
    Tony P.
    Canon 50D, 30D and Digital Rebel (plus some old friends - FTB and AE1)
    Long-time amateur.....wishing for more time to play
    Autocross and Track junkie
    tonyp.smugmug.com