New toy en route

double_entendredouble_entendre Registered Users Posts: 141 Major grins
edited June 19, 2011 in Cameras
So I haven't had an SLR of any sort for years and years. Still have my old lenses (Nikkor 80-200 mm 2.8, Nikkor 24mm 2.8, and a Nikkor 300mm f4).

Wife and I were going to Banff a week ago and so I gathered up all my credit card points and ordered a D7000 with the 18-105 lens. They said they'd get it to me before the trip, but that didn't materialize.

But I got an email today saying it's been "processed or shipped." :dunno

Sooner or later it'll get here. :ivar

Wish I'd had it for Banff, though. Beautiful, beautiful scenery there.

Now I just have to relearn how to shoot. :lol3

Comments

• MLangtonMLangton Registered Users Posts: 140 Major grins
    edited June 17, 2011
    ordered a D7000 with the 18-105 lens.

Congrats!!!

IMHO, when you get it in the mail, put one of your good lenses on it and go have fun.

DO NOT OPEN the 18-105 lens packaging, then sell it on EBAY. I had one of these with my D300 and hated it. Lots of distortion in the wide fields. It's plastic, with a plastic mount. Feels like a child's toy. My I-phone will almost take a better picture.

I sold it and got the Nikon 16-85mm instead. Great lens. With your existing glass, you will have a winner. There are other options also. It's no secret that the 18-105mm is not one of Nikons better lenses. I was able to sell mine for around $300 on EBAY a few years ago.

Hope this helps!
    More photo, less shop.

http://mlangton.smugmug.com
  • double_entendredouble_entendre Registered Users Posts: 141 Major grins
    edited June 17, 2011
    MLangton wrote: »
    Congrats!!!

IMHO, when you get it in the mail, put one of your good lenses on it and go have fun.

DO NOT OPEN the 18-105 lens packaging, then sell it on EBAY. I had one of these with my D300 and hated it. Lots of distortion in the wide fields. It's plastic, with a plastic mount. Feels like a child's toy. My I-phone will almost take a better picture.

I sold it and got the Nikon 16-85mm instead. Great lens. With your existing glass, you will have a winner. There are other options also. It's no secret that the 18-105mm is not one of Nikons better lenses. I was able to sell mine for around $300 on EBAY a few years ago.

Hope this helps!

Very interesting. Looks like I can sell that lens for high two hundreds or maybe three hundred flat.

But seriously, thanks. I thought I was looking pretty good with lens coverage and now I'm thinking about something like the 12-24 or 14-24 plus selling the 24mm I have to get something in the 50mm range and trying to figure out how to say, "Well, you see, honey....I know the kitchen is torn apart and has been for about 6 months now, but...."

Seriously, though, thanks for the feedback. Need to mull. headscratch.gif

Thanks!
  • MarkRMarkR Registered Users Posts: 2,099 Major grins
    edited June 17, 2011
    Seems to me that if your user name is "Double Entendre" you shouldn't title your post "New Toy en route." It made me wonder. headscratch.gif :lol
  • double_entendredouble_entendre Registered Users Posts: 141 Major grins
    edited June 19, 2011
    MarkR wrote: »
    Seems to me that if your user name is "Double Entendre" you shouldn't title your post "New Toy en route." It made me wonder. headscratch.gif :lol

Jeez. I can't imagine what you're gonna think when I post a bird pic I took at Bolsa Chica and title it "Little Pecker."

:hide

Besides, if it was that kind of toy, I'd have posted it to Go Figure. mwink.gif

(Damn. Got a 24 hour vacation from ADV after a few thousand posts. I may not make it to that point here. lol3.gif)