Options

DSS#79....First go at it

ic4uic4u Registered Users Posts: 1,455 Major grins
edited June 24, 2011 in The Dgrin Challenges
I plan on shooting every day in hopes to come up with my best shot...
Here are the ones from yesterday that I liked the best. Some may question my choice to shoot in B&W, and I'd love to hear your thoughts on that. I thought I'd try it out, because I have a true love for B&W photography.....anyway here they are:

1. Infectious Smile
i-MTnHG4g-M.jpg

2. Anxiously Awaiting
i-tX6hrjX-L.jpg

3. Home Sweet Home
i-4xC5KHz-M.jpg

As always, thanks for looking!
Karin

"Dance like no one is watching. Sing like no one is listening. Love like you've never been hurt and live like it's heaven on Earth." — Mark Twain

Comments

• Options
    SeascapeSSeascapeS Registered Users Posts: 814 Major grins
    edited June 18, 2011
    Without a doubt - #2. I love it! What is on the right side though? Looks like a knee or a jacket snuck in there.

Number one is adorable, but I'm not sure about cutting off the top of her head.
    SandiZ
    If I could tell the story in words, I wouldn't need to lug around a camera. ~Lewis Hine
    http://sandizphotos-seascapes.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    travelwaystravelways Registered Users Posts: 7,854 Major grins
    edited June 18, 2011
    #1 is very nice - the cut of the head doesn't bother me, but I would dress her up with a less distracting blouse.

You can also try playing with different angles.

#2 is great and tells a story - maybe you can also try a shot from the other side of the fence :)

#3 is just nice, but I'm not sure...
    Tatiana - Seeing the world through my camera
    TravelwaysPhotos.com ...... Facebook
    VegasGreatAttractions.com
    Travelways.com
  • Options
    edited June 18, 2011
    SeascapeS wrote: »
    Without a doubt - #2. I love it! What is on the right side though? Looks like a knee or a jacket snuck in there.

Number one is adorable, but I'm not sure about cutting off the top of her head.

Yes, that bugs me too, it is the cover to our grill, I will probably try shooting that again, and be more conscious of whats in the frame...thanks for your feedback!
    #1 is very nice - the cut of the head doesn't bother me, but I would dress her up with a less distracting blouse.

You can also try playing with different angles.

#2 is great and tells a story - maybe you can also try a shot from the other side of the fence :)

#3 is just nice, but I'm not sure...

I love #1 myself, I wasn't sure how I felt about Rapunzel on her shirt, I think it helps define her personality, as she is my "little princess", however I can see your point about being a bit distracting. Luckily she is soooo easy to photograph, so there will be many more ops for me to try with her. Thanks for sharing your thoughts!
    Karin

"Dance like no one is watching. Sing like no one is listening. Love like you've never been hurt and live like it's heaven on Earth." — Mark Twain
  • Options
    billseyebillseye Registered Users Posts: 847 Major grins
    edited June 20, 2011
    I like #1 for the facial expression. No problem here with the head crop or the print on the shirt. As a matter of fact, I kinda like the impression that Rapunzel is looking up to see the express on the subject's face.

Also like the story in #2, but not generally a fan of photos of people and/or animals with no faces. This is a strong story, though and may overcome it.
    Bill Banning

Check out billseye photos on SmugMug
  • Options
    sapphire73sapphire73 Registered Users, Super Moderators Posts: 1,945 moderator
    edited June 20, 2011
    I really like #1 and like the idea of #2 but wonder what it would look like if you moved just a little closer to them (since you can't crop out of camera). Have fun with your daily shoots!
  • Options
    edited June 20, 2011
    billseye wrote: »
    I like #1 for the facial expression. No problem here with the head crop or the print on the shirt. As a matter of fact, I kinda like the impression that Rapunzel is looking up to see the express on the subject's face.

Also like the story in #2, but not generally a fan of photos of people and/or animals with no faces. This is a strong story, though and may overcome it.
    Thanks billseye, #1 is still in my considerations, as it is one of my faves I have taken so far, but there is still lots of time left.....
    I still plan to revisit #2's idea, just haven't had an opportunity yet, thanks for sharing your thoughts!
    sapphire73 wrote: »
    I really like #1 and like the idea of #2 but wonder what it would look like if you moved just a little closer to them (since you can't crop out of camera). Have fun with your daily shoots!

Good idea, I will likely try that, thanks for commenting!
    Karin

• Options
    CHANDLERJACHANDLERJA Registered Users Posts: 400 Major grins
    edited June 21, 2011
    For me #1 for sure. I love her expression and the black and white just makes it better!! An expression like that overrides any cropping issues for me.
    Very nice! thumb.gif
    Jeromy
    http://snaptx.smugmug.com/
    Light is everything in life and photography.
  • Options
    konomaniackonomaniac Registered Users Posts: 335 Major grins
    edited June 21, 2011
    I know I'm bucking the trend, but I like #3. The bird with the bug in it's beak does it for me. I like the concept for #2, but don't care for the dog's backside.
    --- Kono ---
    Pentax K-x and assorted lenses
  • Options
    rbustraenrbustraen Registered Users Posts: 127 Major grins
    edited June 21, 2011
    I'd say #1 is the one I favor the most for the expression and energy. Something about #2 doesn't catch my eye??!

- Randy
    - Randy

Photo Of The Day & My SmugMug Gallery
    Canon 7D and not enough L glass....
  • Options
    edited June 22, 2011
    CHANDLERJA wrote: »
    For me #1 for sure. I love her expression and the black and white just makes it better!! An expression like that overrides any cropping issues for me.
    Very nice! thumb.gif

:D Thanks so much!
    konomaniac wrote: »
    I know I'm bucking the trend, but I like #3. The bird with the bug in it's beak does it for me. I like the concept for #2, but don't care for the dog's backside.

No problem, glad someone likes my bird...there are babies in the birdhouse right now and it was feeding time, it's so fun to watch the momma come and go with something new each time!
    rbustraen wrote: »
    I'd say #1 is the one I favor the most for the expression and energy. Something about #2 doesn't catch my eye??!

- Randy

Thanks for your input Randy!
    Karin

• Options
    konomaniackonomaniac Registered Users Posts: 335 Major grins
    edited June 22, 2011
    ic4u wrote: »
    No problem, glad someone likes my bird...there are babies in the birdhouse right now and it was feeding time, it's so fun to watch the momma come and go with something new each time!

This might explain my preference :D

http://kono.smugmug.com/Photography/Bird-Cam/17567767_v8GZtg
    --- Kono ---
    Pentax K-x and assorted lenses
  • Options
    travelwaystravelways Registered Users Posts: 7,854 Major grins
    edited June 22, 2011
    I was a little hesitant about her shirt, but now that I see it in the gallery, I think it's really nice - glad you went with
    the first photo clap.gif
    Tatiana - Seeing the world through my camera
    TravelwaysPhotos.com ...... Facebook
    VegasGreatAttractions.com
    Travelways.com
  • Options
    lkbartlkbart Registered Users Posts: 1,912 Major grins
    edited June 24, 2011
    The smile in #1 is precious - with a bit of ornery! Really nice b/w settings too.
    ~Lillian~
    A photograph is an artistic expression of life, captured one moment at a time . . .
    http://bartlettphotoart.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    edited June 24, 2011
    konomaniac wrote: »

You've got quite an assortment of birds visiting you, how nice! Love the expression of the Blue jay in #30! Thanks for sharing!
    I was a little hesitant about her shirt, but now that I see it in the gallery, I think it's really nice - glad you went with
    the first photo clap.gif

Thanks Tatiana, I am happy with it as well, it is now the background pic on my phone, as well as my husbands!

lkbart wrote: »
    The smile in #1 is precious - with a bit of ornery! Really nice b/w settings too.

Thanks so much:D
    Karin

• Options
    dlscott56dlscott56 Registered Users Posts: 1,324 Major grins
    edited June 24, 2011
    Karin,

Love both 1 & 2, and really enjoy the B&W. Great expression in #1. Wonder what #2 would look like from the other side of the fence?