Night Aerial shooting?

ssimmonsphotossimmonsphoto Registered Users Posts: 424 Major grins
edited June 18, 2011 in Landscapes
Hi, All.
I have the opportunity to go shoot some aerial shots (thanks to a former photography student of mine) and he asked if I'd like to fly over a beach town, with a lit boardwalk and everything, at night sometime. Does anyone have any experience with it? Before I say "Sure!", I want to make sure it'd be worth the fuel if our goal is photography. I'm leery of it with my 7D and its noise capabilities, but I might be over thinking how dark it would be. :dunno

Thanks for your help (& tips in general)! Mods, feel free to move if I chose the wrong forum.
Website (hosted by Zenfolio after 6.5 years with SmugMug) | Blog (hosted by Zenfolio) | Tave User

Comments

• aj986saj986s Registered Users Posts: 1,100 Major grins
    edited June 17, 2011
    I'm guessing a wide angle lens will probably gather enough light to allow for a reasonable shutter speed. Not sure how well something like a 50MM 1.4 would work; maybe be able to use a low enough ISO in order to crop out some still usable images.

But sounds like fun!
    Tony P.
    Canon 50D, 30D and Digital Rebel (plus some old friends - FTB and AE1)
    Long-time amateur.....wishing for more time to play
    Autocross and Track junkie
    tonyp.smugmug.com
  • ssimmonsphotossimmonsphoto Registered Users Posts: 424 Major grins
    edited June 17, 2011
    aj986s wrote: »
    I'm guessing a wide angle lens will probably gather enough light to allow for a reasonable shutter speed. Not sure how well something like a 50MM 1.4 would work; maybe be able to use a low enough ISO in order to crop out some still usable images.

But sounds like fun!

I have the Sigma 10-20 and have the Canon 24-70 2.8L on order. Neither has IS, but I'm not sure how well IS would work in a plane anyways! I'm pretty comfortable boosting up to 1600 ISO on my 7D if necessary. It does sound like a lot of fun, so I'm hoping to be prepared as possible when we go up.
    Website (hosted by Zenfolio after 6.5 years with SmugMug) | Blog (hosted by Zenfolio) | Tave User
  • schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited June 18, 2011
    Make sure you post what you shoot! I've no experience with this, but I think a fast lens is definitely needed here. Good luck!