Options

It's Finally Here!!!

jeffreaux2jeffreaux2 Registered Users Posts: 4,762 Major grins
edited June 22, 2011 in Weddings
My son's BIG day is tommorrow. FINALLY!!!

We just got back from the rehearsal dinner. Here are a couple SOOC ( well straight outta Lightroom)shots from the dinner. I have never shot at this particular venue, but it showed well in the photographs(and the food was freakin awesome!). We enjoyed fried catfish, crawfish etouffe, briskett, pork loin, and a variety of veggies and dips. My nerves were a mess until AFTER I stammered through my speech. All in all, a great night as we made our last preparations for the big event.

Wish us all luck . Ill feel awkward leaving my gear at home tommorrow!

My three kids and my VERY soon to be daughter in law.
Canon 50D plus STE2,Canon 17-55 F2.8IS, 580EXII hand held, Phoxle CTO gel and black half snoot/ bounced flash.
i-tm7mhPQ-L.jpg

Arent they a great looking couple?
i-VVffkXm-L.jpg

Comments

• Options
    littlebayzombielittlebayzombie Registered Users Posts: 40 Big grins
    edited June 18, 2011
    Great looking family, Jeff! I bet your speech was fab. :) The photos are pretty darn good too!
    ♥ Jenifer
    I know the answer! The answer lies within the heart of all mankind! The answer is twelve? I think I'm in the wrong building. - Charles M. Schulz
  • Options
    VayCayMomVayCayMom Registered Users Posts: 1,870 Major grins
    edited June 18, 2011
    Enjoy this wonderful time for your family!!! :D:D:D
    Trudy
    www.CottageInk.smugmug.com

NIKON D700
  • Options
    marikrismarikris Registered Users Posts: 930 Major grins
    edited June 18, 2011
    Congratulations again, Jeff! It's going to be awesome tomorrow!

PS. Gosh, you have a great looking family :)
  • Options
    BakkoBakko Registered Users Posts: 58 Big grins
    edited June 18, 2011
    congrats on the wedding!
    and the food sounded awesome, it made my mouth water a bit.

About your flash, doesn't it get annoying to hand hold a flash when you have a ST-E2 on your camera?
    5DMKII - 60D - Canon 27-70mm - Canon 10-22mm - Canon 85mm f/1.8
    580 EX II - 430 EX II
  • Options
    IcebearIcebear Registered Users Posts: 4,015 Major grins
    edited June 18, 2011
    Best wishes, Jeff.
    John :
    Natural selection is responsible for every living thing that exists.
    D3s, D500, D5300, and way more glass than the wife knows about.
  • Options
    SnowgirlSnowgirl Registered Users Posts: 2,155 Major grins
    edited June 19, 2011
    All the best for a wonderful day for you and your family. Forget the gear and just be "Dad" for the day. It's a once in a lifetime memory for you so be in it, not watching it:D

Had the same issue when my son got married 3 years ago but never regretted being involved and letting someone else document the occasion.

Congratulations!
    Creating visual and verbal images that resonate with you.
    http://www.imagesbyceci.com
    http://www.facebook.com/ImagesByCeci
    Picadilly, NB, Canada
  • Options
    edited June 19, 2011
    Thanks guys,

It turned out to be a truely incredible day. Since I served him as Best Man there was no chance at all that I could do much photography.

He came over at about 10am yesterday, and we sat in the kitchen stringing up beer cans for the getaway cars. My daughters left early to meet the other bridesmaids in Centreville, Ms to get ready. Not much later my wife and mother- in - law left to get their hair done. He and I hung out, watching some sprint cup qualifying, and both eventually dozed off for a nice nap. At 1:30 he left to give us both time to get ourselves ready. I picked him up at 3pm and we drove to pick up my brother in law for the drive to Mississippi. At 4:30 we arrived, along with all the other goomsmen and ushers. He and Bal both had six attendants plus two ushers. We wore black tux vest and tie with candlelight shirts. The gals wore knee length black dresses. I missed having a camera while the groomsmen were sequestered in the churchs fellowship hall. None of us had one and there was no one shooting those types of informal pj shots that I really like. At 530 I met their photographer for the first time. She was using a 5d2 with a 24-70 and 580 flash attatched. She also had a pocket wizard to link that up with a a quantum stand mounted flash behind her. She faced the shoe mounted flash dead ahead and the stand mounted unit was bounced off the ceiling. Ive never shot with that sort of arrangement but she seemed comfortable with it and even rearraned things to repeat that same set up for different locations in the church. This was for formals. She didnt use any gels. Ever. The natural light in the sanctuary was beautiful and ample in my opinion but since sooo much daylight was pouring in, the real challenge would have been white balancing with the incandescents. And maybe she was overpowering those. That would negate the need for a gel.

Lol

I met my wife at the front of the church at 6:30 to walk her down the aisle. There was standing room only as I seated her and the rushed back to meet the guys for the wedding party entrance. A stringed quartet was hired for the music, and THAT was beautiful. The ceremony was quick, and sweet. we followed that up with plenty of photos, ending up with a shot of the weding party on the front steps of the church. They were driven away in a two toned blue 1957 chevy hardtop in original condition.

The reception was held on the lawn, under the oaks, at the Georgia Belle in Centreville. A live band provided music until 11pm. There was plenty of food and spirits! My guess is that there were at least 300 people at the reception. It was a pretty big tado. They were whisked away in a long black limo at 11:30pm, to spend the night at the Baton Rouge Hilton before leaving for Jamaica on Monday.

It was an incredible day...and night for me that didnt end until I got home at 2am. They were a beautiful couple!
  • Options
    edited June 19, 2011
    Bakko wrote: »
    About your flash, doesn't it get annoying to hand hold a flash when you have a ST-E2 on your camera?

No.

It's a solid technique that I am very comfortable with. It allows the flash to be aimed super quick for bouncing off walls and or ceilings. It requires one handed shooting. This can take some getting used to, but if I werent doing it this way Id probably be using a light on a stick....which also requires one handed shooting.....soooone_nau.gif
  • Options
    divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited June 19, 2011
    Congrats, Jeff! I hope that you'll link us to the "official" pictures once they're available so that we can share your excitement at the personal even if not photographic level. (And you have now added to the "How do you know you're really a photographer?" question. Answer: when you're IN your son's wedding and worrying about the official tog's use of gels!!! rolleyes1.gif)

Can I also add that it's soooo great to see your older daughter in the picture you posted - I freely admit that I teared up. I hope she's finally starting to feel better!!
  • Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited June 19, 2011
    Congratulations! What a great prelude to Father's Day.
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Options
    edited June 19, 2011
    divamum wrote: »
    Congrats, Jeff! I hope that you'll link us to the "official" pictures once they're available so that we can share your excitement at the personal even if not photographic level.

Ill definately try to do that. The locations that were chosen for all of the showers and parties prior to the event plus the rehearsal dinner wedding and reception were very elegant. It was definately a portfolio worthy envioronment! She has some excellent shots Im sure.thumb.gif

(And you have now added to the "How do you know you're really a photographer?" question. Answer: when you're IN your son's wedding and worrying about the official tog's use of gels!!! rolleyes1.gif)

Well yeah Im really a photographer.....rolleyes1.gif

I wasnt "worried" that she used no gels....just observant of the fact. In the sanctuary there was enough daylight that I would probably have forgone them as well....and used flash as fill....but at a strong enough power to rub out color casts from the incandescent. Ive had to do that before. In that situation if you set WB for incandescent and then CTO the flash you wind up with an uncanny and strong blue cast from the daylight where it is pouring in. Not a pretty sight.

There are a good many photographers out there that know nothing of gels. They manage without them.thumb.gif

Can I also add that it's soooo great to see your older daughter in the picture you posted - I freely admit that I teared up. I hope she's finally starting to feel better!!

Thanks soo much for that. Yes, she has been feeling much much better. She has spent the majority of her summer break studying for her MCAT, but did manage a 10 day stay at a Florida beach. With the day to day grind and stress of school off her back for a while all of her symptoms have disappeared. We are hoping that the reduced workload for her last two semesters will keep her going in the right direction.

And.....when you DO see the official shots you ....and others from Dgrin....might REALLY tear up. By a last second miracle (really!!) my father-in-law was able to attend. This was a huge surprise.......as he doesnt get out much anymore.

You remember THAT series , dont you?:D My medium format project?

http://www.dgrin.com/showpost.php?p=1529565&postcount=1
  • Options
    edited June 19, 2011
    DavidTO wrote: »
    Congratulations! What a great prelude to Father's Day.

Ya got that right!thumb.gif

Thanks David, may you have a great Father's Day as well.

Im about to whip up some briskett quesadillas!!!! mwink.gif
  • Options
    ElaineElaine Registered Users Posts: 3,532 Major grins
    edited June 22, 2011
    Wonderful!!! Gorgeous people, momentous event, delicious food, lovely photos. So happy for your family, Jeff! And to hear that your daughter is feeling so much better and that your FIL made it to the wedding...such great news. iloveyou.gif
    Elaine

Comments and constructive critique always welcome!

Elaine Heasley Photography