Shooting Politicians

SciurusNigerSciurusNiger Registered Users Posts: 256 Major grins
edited June 22, 2011 in Mind Your Own Business
I spent last fall working as a campaign photographer and as a result was recently hired to shoot a private reception for a local political organization. Normally this is fun stuff; politicians like the spotlight (and the flash light) and people who attend these things like having their pictures taken with those to whom they hand over some of their personal responsibility and power. So while it's quite like shooting the proverbial fish in a barrel, I have found a bit of schmooz lite or silly banter as they get into position is often helpful to get the most relaxed smiles since guests of honor are often tired and some attendees are a little nervous.

I wouldn't be posting, however, if this time there weren't things that are bothering me. Problems like someone's college-age kid "practicing" with a new camera while daddy hammed it up with anyone who even thought they were anyone, including using my specifically-lighted corner set up. Problems like guest of honor (national committee chair) having arrived late to their previous engagement and therefore arriving very late to this event and cutting down on the time available for individual photos. Now while shooting quickly normally isn't a problem, having the state chair coldly hissing "just shoot" while we tried to maintain some semblance of order recording guest information and moving them through the line upped the stress level. And at the end of it all, while I held onto my professional demeanor, I am not entirely pleased with my final results.

As I try to take away learning from this experience, a couple of things immediately come to mind:
  • Trust my instincts and keep the shooting setup as far away from the reception as possible.
  • Disallow other photographers from using my set up until I'm finished (certain press photogs excepted).
Anyone have other thoughts and/or ideas that don't involve timeouts, spankings and/or duct tape?

Thanks!
Garnered Images Photography

"Where beauty moves and wit delights and signs of kindness bind me; there, oh there, whe'er I go I leave my heart behind me." (Thomas Ford, 1607)

Comments

• angevin1angevin1 Registered Users Posts: 3,403 Major grins
    edited June 18, 2011
    I have to admit, yer title got my attention!

The Political game will be a stressful time becoming more stressful at times. But you already know that, right?

They're hissing, and you're doing your best. Sounds perfectly normal for the politicos. All in the company you keep.

As for the kid-with-camera....if you care, tell em. if not, ignore em.

A resounding yes for always following your gut!

Cheers,
    tom wise
  • SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited June 18, 2011
    Remember you asked.

Basically for these types of events you are the hired help. This is not an artistic collaborative endeavor.

I'm not all that sure they like all the cameras, and schmoozing, but they do know that it's part of how they get suitcases full of money, and most are very good at instantly flashing that perfect smile over and over.

They have thousands to millions of photographs taken with other people. They want to get the meet and greet done and over with. There is no value to them to have you the photographer try to create a masterpiece with each and everybody in the line. Even though they may not be fully human they can and do get tired.

While the candidate / politician doesn't give a rats putute about the photographer they do care about the contributors invited there. If the donors and family want to take photos I wouldn't try and stop them.

Now as to what you can do...work with the politicians staff. They do these kinds of events all the time. They know what their boss likes and doesn't like. Talk to them about your needs and concerns (before the event), not when you get there. Make sure you have a name of someone to be your contact at the event.

Yes, see if you can set up the meet and greet photo area off to the side or a little away from the main area if possible. Have an assistant or even better have one of the politicians staff help control the friends and family photographers. They can have the guests hold off on taking photographs until you are done. Then let them take their photos. The added benefit to this is that while the guest photographers are taking their photos you can take a quick look at the LCD and if your photos have eyes closed or one of them drooling you can get a third or fourth shot before they leave the side of the politician. Assuming your getting your shots quickly, any blame for the meet and greet taking to long will fall on the guests not you.

Sam
  • SciurusNigerSciurusNiger Registered Users Posts: 256 Major grins
    edited June 18, 2011
    Sam wrote: »
    Remember you asked.

I did, indeed, and very much appreciate the replies. Most of what you're telling me isn't really anything I don't already know but there is comfort in hearing something from the outside-in versus inside-out (if you know what I mean).

One of the reasons I was hired for this gig is because of work I did at a red-carpet fall fundraiser; lots of compliments on the guest photos but I should have included learning that there is a big difference being part of a dedicated team instead of just one of the hired help. And that big difference can affect the final product if I am not prepared for it. (So I need to be - and in the future will be - more prepared!)

I suppose that because I don't treat the people who work for or with me rudely, nor does my corporate management treat me rudely, I'm always taken a little aback when I encounter that "class-based" rudeness within other circles. Guess I need to remember to wear the flame-proof undies more often....

The suggestion about "guest shooters" was great and I've tucked it away for future use.
    Garnered Images Photography

"Where beauty moves and wit delights and signs of kindness bind me; there, oh there, whe'er I go I leave my heart behind me." (Thomas Ford, 1607)
  • SamirDSamirD Registered Users Posts: 3,474 Major grins
    edited June 22, 2011
    I think your gut serves you well. Definitely follow what has brought you to this level. thumb.gif
    Pictures and Videos of the Huntsville Car Scene: www.huntsvillecarscene.com
    Want faster uploading? Vote for FTP!
  • chrisjohnsonchrisjohnson Registered Users Posts: 772 Major grins
    edited June 22, 2011
    Sam really nails it!