Question about a canon lens

brienicolebrienicole Registered Users Posts: 30 Big grins
edited June 24, 2011 in Cameras
The photographer at my sisters wedding last night was shooting with a cannon, but it looked like she was looking at us, then pointed the lens up ( above our heads) and shot..the pic looks great but what lens is that?
~ Brie: Mommy, Graphic artist and photographer

Creativity is all about making mistakes, Design is knowing which ones to keep.

www.croluasphotography.com

Comments

• M38A1M38A1 Registered Users Posts: 1,317 Major grins
    edited June 18, 2011
    Can you post the pic or gain access to the EXIF info on the file? Is it possible they used live-view for the shot using the lcd to frame via it?
  • insanefredinsanefred Registered Users Posts: 604 Major grins
    edited June 18, 2011
    More information is needed to help you.
  • brienicolebrienicole Registered Users Posts: 30 Big grins
    edited June 18, 2011
    The photos are on Facebook so no exit data. http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rose-Street-Studio/122404030810 is the link, it's the one in front of the garages and tree I'm talking about

edited June 18, 2011
    I know it was a wide angle but not a tilt shift. I'm wondering if she did a vertical panorama?

• ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,078 moderator
    edited June 18, 2011
    I believe that the photographer was trying for a composition with the background that required placing the camera high. The lens is indeed pointed high because the subjects are low in the frame.

I do not think that there is any stitching involved.

Some photographers use a low angle for similar reasons. Shooting at eye-level is not always the best perspective or best composition.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Brett1000Brett1000 Registered Users Posts: 819 Major grins
    edited June 19, 2011
    ziggy53 wrote: »
    I believe that the photographer was trying for a composition with the background that required placing the camera high. The lens is indeed pointed high because the subjects are low in the frame.

I do not think that there is any stitching involved.

Some photographers use a low angle for similar reasons. Shooting at eye-level is not always the best perspective or best composition.

I agree, looks like the camera was up high
  • Matthew SavilleMatthew Saville Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,352 Major grins
    edited June 20, 2011
    Simple "focus+recompose" technique. Since she was probably using a Canon 5D mk2, the only truly useful focus point is in the dead-center, (and even then the off-center focus point wouldn't have reached all the way down to the bottom) ...so the technique is to point the lens directly at you, focus, then re-compose the shot. Nothing special about the lens, it is just a limitation of autofocus...

=Matt=
    My first thought is always of light.” – Galen Rowell
    My SmugMug PortfolioMy Astro-Landscape Photo BlogDgrin Weddings Forum
    edited June 24, 2011
    Ahhh that makes sense. Focus recompose! bingo~