Lens question

M38A1M38A1 Registered Users Posts: 1,317 Major grins
edited June 20, 2011 in Cameras
Can I mount a Sigma 10-20mm DX lens on my D700 FX body without screwing up either?

And am I correct in that I can only use the 20mm side of the range?

Comments

• cab.in.bostoncab.in.boston Registered Users Posts: 634 Major grins
    edited June 18, 2011
    It will mount and not physically break anything. I'm not sure if the D700 (I don't have one) will automatically go into DX mode, but you may be able to force it to stay in FX. As I understand it, you can use any or all of the range, you just may get vignetting. I've heard that the DX Tokina 11-16 covers the FX sensor at 16mm, but I have not heard anything about how well or if at all that Sigma will cover the sensor. But it won't damage anything, so mount it up and give it a try!
    Father, husband, dog lover, engineer, Nikon shooter
    My site 365 Project
  • entropysedgeentropysedge Registered Users Posts: 190 Major grins
    edited June 18, 2011
    the D700 will automatically go into DX mode with that lens unless you lock it into FX mode via the menu selection. If you do lock it into FX mode, you will get severe vignetting with the Sigma
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,078 moderator
    edited June 18, 2011
    I use a Sigma 10-20mm, f/4-5.6 EX DC HSM safely on a Canon 5D MKII Full-Frame (FX) body. It does vignette considerably until around 16mm and by 20mm it covers the frame reasonably well. At 10mm I can get a very good 7.5MPix, 8"x10" crop from the 5D MKII image. It's fine for many things but I do prefer a genuine wide-angle FF lens instead.

The Tokina 11-16mm, f2.8 AT-X PRO DX is reported to do much better at 16mm on FX and the few samples I've seen look good for sharpness until the very edges of the corners, insignificant for most applications. There is quite a bit of distortion but, unless you are doing architectural or interiors, it too is not that bad.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • M38A1M38A1 Registered Users Posts: 1,317 Major grins
    edited June 18, 2011
    Thanks for the replies....

My biggest concern was whether or not I'd screw either up with mounting. That doesn't seem to be an issue. So I'll mount the 10-20 and go shoot some test shots to see how it reacts and go from there.

As always, thanks for the responses..... thumb.gif
  • Matthew SavilleMatthew Saville Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,352 Major grins
    edited June 20, 2011
    While Canon users DO have to worry about breaking their cameras by mounting the wrong lens, I believe there are currently no more than one or two exotic fisheye lenses from the 70's that you can mount on a Nikon body that would damage it. ;-)

18-20mm is probably safe for shooting with minimal vignetting, although Ken Rockwell's chart doesn't list the Sigma 10-20 as usable...

http://www.kenrockwell.com/tech/digital-wide-zooms/chart.htm

Good luck!
    =Matt=
    My first thought is always of light.” – Galen Rowell
    My SmugMug PortfolioMy Astro-Landscape Photo BlogDgrin Weddings Forum