The Night Visitor.

jirojiro Registered Users Posts: 1,865 Major grins
edited June 19, 2011 in Other Cool Shots
Pardon the title because it is really misleading. redface.png This image was shot still in daylight (very late afternoon but still bright), I used an off camera flash on this one. Tom (AKA black mamba) decided to donate his Nikon SB-24 flash to me. It has been months since I received the flash but I wasn't able to use it because I don't have a flash sync cord or a remote flash trigger device. Luckily, I was able to find one (the sync cord) on a yard sale recently. Woohoo!

So, upon connecting the sync cord to the camera body and the flash to the sync cord it's time for some experimentation again and learning! The SB-24 won't work in TTL mode and I can only use it in Manual Flash Mode which is great. I always want to have full control of what I do so I can understand how it behaves when I control it. I set the camera to Manual Mode. My Nikon D70 can sync as high as 1/500 second. Nice! First try - I set the aperture at f/5.6 and at ISO 400. Flash was set at about 28" away from the subject. and at 1/16 power (the lowest power it can fire). The result?... blown exposure! mad.png I have no assistant here so I am the one shooting with the camera on my right hand and my left hand holding the flash. I have no choice but to adjust the aperture. The shutter speed does not have any effect in the flash output, the aperture does, so this means that at f/5.6 the camera sensor is receiving too much light. I adjusted it to f/8. Still a bit bright. How about f/11?... Nice!!! biggrin.png I kept the exposure at this setting. The funny thing that happened was that even though I shot this image on a still bright late afternoon now it looks as if it was shot at night. This is something that I want to explore further as soon as I can get hold of a remote flash triggering device so I can position the flash farther than what my hand can extend it to.

Thank you very much for viewing.

5847290442_32ae87ef3f_b.jpg

Nikon D70, Nikon 18-70mm lens set at 70mm, Exposure at ISO 400, f/11 at 1/500 second. Spot Metering in Manual Mode. Nikon SB-24 flash used in Manual Flash Mode. Jpeg file processed in LR 3.
Sitting quietly, doing nothing. Spring comes and the grass grows by itself.

http://imagesbyjirobau.blogspot.com/