In Moonbows

coscorrosacoscorrosa Registered Users Posts: 2,284 Major grins
edited June 30, 2011 in Landscapes
Fun from the last few days in Yosemite. No clouds at all - not so great for sunset and sunrise, but perfect for moonbows. Combined with the crazy amount of waterflow (from a large and melting snowpack) conditions could not have been better.

#1 - Stars and Upper Yosemite Falls

moonbowstartrails-XL.jpg

#2 - Upper Yosemite Falls (this was the most intense moonbow I've seen, colors were easily distinguishable with the naked eye, the lighter moonbow was only visible on camera):

MG7372-XL.jpg

#3 - Lower Yosemite Falls (the spray was really really crazy, but the moonbow was quite vibrant):

MG7661-XL.jpg

#4 - Close up of Upper Yosemite:

MG7034-XL.jpg

Comments

• shniksshniks Registered Users Posts: 945 Major grins
    edited June 20, 2011
    Love #1. Great job!!!

Cheers,
  • Dennis KaczorDennis Kaczor Registered Users Posts: 2,413 Major grins
    edited June 20, 2011
    Very nice series here Ron #1 has a very cool effect that I like, but I really like the last one.
  • rontront Registered Users Posts: 1,473 Major grins
    edited June 20, 2011
    Phenomenal Ron!!!! I have never seen or even heard of a moonbow before. These are incredible!

Ron
    "The question is not what you look at, but what you see". Henry David Thoreau

http://ront.smugmug.com/
    Nikon D600, Nikon 85 f/1.8G, Nikon 24-120mm f/4, Nikon 70-300, Nikon SB-700, Canon S95
  • FreezframeFreezframe Registered Users Posts: 246 Major grins
    edited June 20, 2011
    Very Nice!
    Nice captures! All of them are fantastic! Do you remember of hand what your shutter speed was on #1? Just wondering what it took to get the circle effect out of the stars time wise?

Brady:D
    Dad/Photograher:ivar
  • hawkeye978hawkeye978 Registered Users Posts: 1,218 Major grins
    edited June 20, 2011
    Great set, Ron. You've really been perfecting this type of shot. I love the perspective in #3.
  • coscorrosacoscorrosa Registered Users Posts: 2,284 Major grins
    edited June 20, 2011
    shniks wrote: »
    Love #1. Great job!!!

Cheers,

Thanks! That's a shot I wanted to do last year but couldn't because of the cloud cover (on every night!). Moonbows were awesome this year.
    Very nice series here Ron #1 has a very cool effect that I like, but I really like the last one.

Thanks!
    ront wrote: »
    Phenomenal Ron!!!! I have never seen or even heard of a moonbow before. These are incredible!

Ron

Thanks Ron - I have a few other waterfalls outside of Yosemite that I want to try moonbows on but it will require some research and maybe some math too (damn it!). One of the coolest things I've seen in person.
    Freezframe wrote: »
    Nice captures! All of them are fantastic! Do you remember of hand what your shutter speed was on #1? Just wondering what it took to get the circle effect out of the stars time wise?

Brady:D

Thanks - that was somewhere between 90-120 minutes of 4 minute exposures blended together for the stars. I took just one of those exposures for the moonbow (otherwise the moonbow would have been moving all over the place). Each individual exposure was f/7.1 ISO 200 for 4 minutes.
  • DaddyODaddyO Registered Users Posts: 4,466 Major grins
    edited June 20, 2011
    Quite unique. Very beautiful. Seriously well done clap.gif
    Michael
  • NorthernFocusNorthernFocus Registered Users Posts: 1,347 Major grins
    edited June 20, 2011
    Awesome, Ron. Really excellent in every way. Nice job thumb.gif
    Dan

My Photo Gallery:Northern Focus Photography
    I wish I was half the man that my dog thinks I am...
  • Logic 7Logic 7 Registered Users Posts: 89 Big grins
    edited June 21, 2011
    Wow great job!
    Jeff
  • Doug SolisDoug Solis Registered Users Posts: 1,190 Major grins
    edited June 21, 2011
    Nicely done Ron, #2 & 3 are really special shots. Great work.
  • schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited June 21, 2011
    #2 is rockin!!

I have to ask what your mobile setup is. Do you have a laptop and your own wifi-generator on the road?
  • dlplumerdlplumer Registered Users Posts: 8,081 Major grins
    edited June 21, 2011
    Way to go, Ron. I know you planned and worked hard for these. You keep raising the bar, and clearing it with room to spare. ylsuper.gif
    edited June 21, 2011
    DaddyO wrote: »
    Quite unique. Very beautiful. Seriously well done clap.gif

Thanks! Hard to screw these up as long as you get the focus right :)
    Awesome, Ron. Really excellent in every way. Nice job thumb.gif

Thanks!
    Logic 7 wrote: »
    Wow great job!

Thanks!
    Doug Solis wrote: »
    Nicely done Ron, #2 & 3 are really special shots. Great work.

Thanks Doug - #2 is probably my favorite, not sure if it's the best photo (maybe) but the experience was pretty intense. I'm sure it's on par with seeing the aurora (which is on my list!)
    schmoo wrote: »
    #2 is rockin!!

I have to ask what your mobile setup is. Do you have a laptop and your own wifi-generator on the road?

Thanks - just my Macbook (same computer I use at home - except at home I have a larger monitor), I'll use motel wifi whenever I can, I should at least explore portable wifi options too... Right now I'm in Death Valley with a nice AC room for a few nights (temps are going to hit 120F). So far on this trip I've slept in the car 6 nights, but that was mostly because lodging near Yosemite was impossible (camping or motels).
    dlplumer wrote: »
    Way to go, Ron. I know you planned and worked hard for these. You keep raising the bar, and clearing it with room to spare. ylsuper.gif

Thanks Dan - I was at Yosemite last May and really wanted some moonbows but the forecast didn't cooperate, so I vowed to return. Now I have a few more ideas for next year :D
  • TreyHoffTreyHoff Registered Users Posts: 388 Major grins
    edited June 21, 2011
    Those were really a delight to see. 1 is phenomenal!
  • jamesljamesl Registered Users Posts: 642 Major grins
    edited June 22, 2011
    Well done Ron!
  • CameronMillerCameronMiller Registered Users Posts: 33 Big grins
    edited June 22, 2011
    Wonderful shots, all of them. #1 is my favorite, though.
  • squirl033squirl033 Registered Users Posts: 1,230 Major grins
    edited June 23, 2011
    amazing, Ron... i'd never even HEARD of moonbows before, much less seen one! i really like the lighting on the 2nd one, and the comp on the 3rd is super... well done, sir! my hat is off to you!
    ~ Rocky
    "Out where the rivers like to run, I stand alone, and take back something worth remembering..."
    Three Dog Night

www.northwestnaturalimagery.com
  • CornflakeCornflake Registered Users Posts: 3,346 Major grins
    edited June 24, 2011
    Beautifully done.
  • Hikin' MikeHikin' Mike Registered Users Posts: 5,467 Major grins
    edited June 24, 2011
    edited June 30, 2011
    TreyHoff wrote: »
    Those were really a delight to see. 1 is phenomenal!

Thanks! I actually replaced it with a better version (I made two attempts for moonbow star trails, turns out I liked the first attempt better than the second that I originally posted. This version has light on the trees and the moonbow is parallel to the top of the falls as the moon was on the west side of the cliff behind me rather than the east side).
    jamesl wrote: »
    Well done Ron!

Thanks James!
    Wonderful shots, all of them. #1 is my favorite, though.

Thank you!
    squirl033 wrote: »
    amazing, Ron... i'd never even HEARD of moonbows before, much less seen one! i really like the lighting on the 2nd one, and the comp on the 3rd is super... well done, sir! my hat is off to you!

Thanks - they're really quite amazing to view in person. I only saw some pale ones last year and lucked out with perfect conditions this year.
    Cornflake wrote: »
    Beautifully done.

Thanks!
    Nice series! Something I've not done yet.

Seeing them in person is incredible, if you get the chance you should definitely do it even if you don't have a camera. But since you own a camera, you might as well bring it :)