Options

Canon Image Stabilization question...

emtp563emtp563 Registered Users Posts: 65 Big grins
edited October 9, 2005 in Cameras
I just purchased my first Canon IS lense (28-135 USM IS). With IS on, are you suppose to physically feel and/or hear the gyroscope spinning? I can't hear or feel anything. I can only hear a hum inside the lense if I place my ear right againt the lense body. Is the IS system suppose to be this inconspicuos? Even if I set the camera down on the desk and open the shutter to activate the gyro, there are no vibrations. I was expecting to be able to at least feel some sort of vibration.
My SmugMug site: http://www.cyclingcaptured.com

Canon EOS 1D & 1D Mark II
Speedlite 580EX II & 430EX
Canon 50mm 1.8
Canon 85mm 1.8
Canon 70-200L f/2.8 IS
Canon 16-35L f/2.8
Canon 300mm f/2.8 IS

Comments

• Options
    kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,681 moderator
    edited October 8, 2005
    I've never felt or heard anything with the IS on.

On the other hand, you can see it work easily. Compare IS on and off while hand-holding the camera and lens and looking at a distant object through the viewfinder. You should see the scene literally be more stable with the IS turned on.
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited October 8, 2005
    emtp563 wrote:
    I just purchased my first Canon IS lense (28-135 USM IS). With IS on, are you suppose to physically feel and/or hear the gyroscope spinning? I can't hear or feel anything. I can only hear a hum inside the lense if I place my ear right againt the lense body. Is the IS system suppose to be this inconspicuos? Even if I set the camera down on the desk and open the shutter to activate the gyro, there are no vibrations. I was expecting to be able to at least feel some sort of vibration.

if your ears are good, you'll hear a small sound.
    as kdog says, you can also "see" it correcting things :D
  • Options
    Matthew SavilleMatthew Saville Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,352 Major grins
    edited October 9, 2005
    EMTP, you must have it set to the middle setting, which is something along the lines of "on but only at the instant you click the shutter. This feature i guess is to conserve batteries; and you won't be able to see the effects of the IS. With VR I know for sure, if you hold the shutter half way down though, you can hear a TINY hum, the sound is closesst to that of maybe an ice skater gliding across some ice? I dunno, its hard to describe. However, if you let off the shutter, after a second or so you may hear a little click as the lens element jogs back into the "locked" position. But again,this is with Nikon's VR. I haven't used IS lenses enough times to remember.

But as you said, you should feel NOTHING. and you'll hear almost nothing, and see nothing too unless you turn IS to fully on. If it's fully on, it will activate when you press the shutter down halfway, and you'll be able to visibly see that the image through your viewfinder is "steady", it sort of slows down and holds still. It's really cool to see for the first time, but I imagine it consumes battery power so I usually just set it to turn on only at the instant of shutter release. In this setting, the motors are on and "ready" when you press the shutter halfway, but they only jump into action and move the lens element at the exact instant you depress the shutter, so you can't actually see the effect. Except in your final result.. At 28mm with IS on, you might be able to steadily handhold at 1/4 or 1/8 sec and get very sharp results. Good luck!

-Matt-
    My first thought is always of light.” – Galen Rowell
    My SmugMug PortfolioMy Astro-Landscape Photo BlogDgrin Weddings Forum