Options

War on the Line

PeterD-2009PeterD-2009 Registered Users Posts: 618 Major grins
edited June 20, 2011 in Journeys
I visited the Mid Hants Railway on Saturday because the weather forecast was better for that day than the Sunday. The event over the weekend of 11/12 June was to commemorate the struggles during WW2 and life on the Home Front, as life in the UK at that time was called. Different themes were put on at each of the stations on the line and an intensive 3 train service was run.

The Locomotives in action

P6115619-L.jpg
Southern Railway 850, Lord Nelson. Seen here in the down platform at Ropley, awaiting the road to Alresford.

P6115515-L.jpg
LMS Black 5 45379. Seen at Ropley awaiting a light engine movement to Alresford to form a train. The crew told me that they were the standby engine but were pressed into service to form an additional train.

P6115529-L.jpg
Southern Railway U Class 31806. Seen here at Ropley entering the up platform with a train from Alresford. This locomotive was released back into traffic this year, following an overhaul.

Ropley displays
These were based on the themes of bomb disposal, RAF field aircraft plotting, communications and military encampment under canvas.

P6115523-L.jpg
Following a bombing raid, the WVS (now WVRS) arrived with refreshments to support people affected by the bombing and those searching in and clearing the rubble.

P6115521-L.jpg
The fire engine here is typical of the type used to fight fires following a raid. The military vehicle in front is an early communications truck.

P6115527-L.jpg
This was the RAF tracking demonstration with a plotting table and military communications which fed information to the plotters and back to headquarters.

P6115517-L.jpg
Railways were very important as transport links and the stations had military presence at all times to ensure security.

And finally, a train image at this station.

P6115533-L.jpg

Fireman preparing the fire for the assault on Medstead Bank. Southern Railway Class U loco.

Medstead an Four Marks Displays
These were based on culture and the Home Guard.

P6115530-L.jpg
A family demonstrated a typical washday of the period. This display was on the up platform.

P6115568-L.jpg
With food being in short supply due to the shortage of imported goods, the cry went out to 'Dig for Victory'. People turned large areas of land over to the production of food. This couple travelled from Dorset with all the display items in a camper vehicle to highlight this important wartime campagn.

P6115570-L.jpg
Bartering for second hand clothes and goods was another common activity in these times of shortage.

Many vehicles were on display in the station car park and these are a sample.

P6115558-L.jpg
The proud owner had a war-time gramaphone on the bonnet of his car, playing war time music.

P6115559-L.jpg
The Home Guard units were formed to provide security and defend local areas. This is one of their vehicles.

Note the blackout covers on the headlights and the white painted mudguards on the car. It must have been dreadful to drive at night and difficult for the pedestrians too.

P6115560-L.jpg
The NAAFI wagon was also in the car park providing welcome refreshments for current and retired Servicemen/women and also for the re-enactors. I enjoyed my first NAAFI tea for many years.

Back to the station.

P6115571-L.jpg
Home Guard personnel chatting on the down platform.

P6115581-L.jpg
The train from Alton arrives hauled by the Black 5 whilst the Alton bound service with Lord Nelson at its head waits in the up platform road.

Alton
The theme here was similar to that at Medstead and Four Marks.

P6115535-L.jpg
A temporary ticket office was set up on the platform and this lady was issueing tickets.

P6115537-L.jpg
A couple waiting for their train.

Alresford

This station was the base for American units with vehilcles and troops in the car park. I ran out of time so I apologise for not including these in this post.

P6115605-L.jpg
The station buffet.

P6115607-L.jpg
The signalbox.

I hope this gives you a flavour of this interesting event. More photos on my website. Thoroughly recommended for a visit next year.