Options

A Trio To Really Savor

black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,321 Major grins
edited July 10, 2011 in Other Cool Shots
Few individuals have had a greater impact on auto racing in this country than Frank Kurtis ( 1908 - 1987 ). And I'm willing to bet that most folks have never heard his name. He came out of Colorado and started making his first imprint on the racing scene in the early 30's. By the time he retired, he had become a true giant in the sport. His contribution was primarily in the manufacturing end of things. He built cars that raced in almost every conceivable venue of the sport: midget racers, quarter-midget racers, Indy 500 racers, Formula 1 racers, and even sports cars for the street.

From around 1950 to 1964, every winner of the Indy 500 was either built by Kurtis or was strongly influenced by his designs. His company, Kurtis-Kraft, had 5 Indy winners of their own manufacture.

Kurtis became legendary in the world of midget car racing. His cars absolutely ruled the roost for over 20 years....they were virtually unbeatable at that series. He made over 600 kit cars available and about 550 ready-to-go cars during that time. If you had wanted to win in midget car racing, you had better have had a Kurtis under your butt.

Cars from Kurtis were one of the featured vehicles at this year's Amelia show. It was one of the most complete gathering of Kurtis cars seen in recent times. Some say the best showing of his works ever assembled at any one time and place.

This first car is a 1955 Kurtis 500SX. It is the third of only 4 ever made. It is one of the most successful racers ever built....in any series. In 2 years of racing, it was entered in 31 events. It ran up a record of 9 overall wins, and won it's class a stunning 18 times. Unbelievable performance. It was retired in 1959 and spent 20 years under a tarp at the Buick dealer's lot that owned it. It was brought back to life in 1979, restored and even raced again in the " gentlemanly " Historic series....winning again at the Monterey races.

Amelia-2011-1-066-X@.jpg

This next one is a 1956 Kurtis 500 S. Fewer than 30 of these cars were produced. The profile is pure Indy Roadster and its chassis is an Indy car design right down to its torsion bar suspension and quick-change rear end. Many of the 500 S's were sold as kits.....as was this one. When completed, this car was fitted out with a light, small block Chevy engine....as opposed to the heavier Cadillac engine that was originally called for.

Amelia-2011-1-070-X2.jpg

Here you have a 1953 Kurtis 500 M. This car was built when the cars of Kurtis were ruling the Indy 500 race scene. This car was essentially an Indy racer built for the street and clothed in a beautiful fiberglass body. The engine choice was left to the buyer and this one got a modified 331 CI Cadillac running two 4-barrel carbs and sporting a 3.86 rear end.

Amelia-2011-1-072-X2.jpg
I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.

Comments

• Options
    PantherPanther Registered Users Posts: 3,658 Major grins
    edited June 20, 2011
    Howdy Tom,

WOW, what a neat History lesson along side your
    beautiful pictures.

I am always in awe of the craftsmanship and ingenuity
    these Folks came up all those years ago.

Love those stunning colors!!
    Take care,

Craig

Burleson, Texas
  • Options
    edited June 21, 2011
    Panther wrote: »
    Howdy Tom,

WOW, what a neat History lesson along side your
    beautiful pictures.

I am always in awe of the craftsmanship and ingenuity
    these Folks came up all those years ago.

Love those stunning colors!!

Sometimes I wonder if I should tell what I know about the cars I show. Then I think.....those folks that really care to see these cars would like to know something about them, so I continue to give a little of the history involved.

Thanks very much, Craig, for the kind words.

Tom
    I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.
  • Options
    aj986saj986s Registered Users Posts: 1,100 Major grins
    edited June 21, 2011
    I love seeing your stuff! Great pictures and story telling. thumb.gif
    Tony P.
    Canon 50D, 30D and Digital Rebel (plus some old friends - FTB and AE1)
    Long-time amateur.....wishing for more time to play
    Autocross and Track junkie
    tonyp.smugmug.com
  • Options
    edited June 21, 2011
    Thanks, Tony, for the nice comment.

The main reason I post so much car stuff is to give folks a look at many historic autos that they may never otherwise get to see. As a car show hound, I get exposure to so much history and I like sharing that with fellow enthusiast.

Take care,

Tom
  • Options
    DaddyODaddyO Registered Users Posts: 4,466 Major grins
    edited June 21, 2011
    Heck Tom... :D I have to say that aside from the very nice photography of various vehicles you generously share, I personally would be lost if you didn't share the back story as you do. There's little I truly know about motoring history on the whole and I get clued in fast with that which you, again generously, provide. If I want to dig further and go off on different branches, which I sometimes have time to pursue, I have a great place to start from in your extensive knowledge base. Whats cooler than that? thumb.gif So thanks Tom. Thanks very much.
    Michael
  • Options
    jirojiro Registered Users Posts: 1,865 Major grins
    edited June 21, 2011
    As always, both the shots and story about the cars are top A class, my friend. Red, Fast cars are really a delight in the eyes to look at. :Dthumb.gifthumbthumb.gifthumbthumb.gifclap.gifclapclap.gif
    Sitting quietly, doing nothing. Spring comes and the grass grows by itself.

http://imagesbyjirobau.blogspot.com/
  • Options
    edited June 21, 2011
    DaddyO wrote: »
    Heck Tom... :D I have to say that aside from the very nice photography of various vehicles you generously share, I personally would be lost if you didn't share the back story as you do. There's little I truly know about motoring history on the whole and I get clued in fast with that which you, again generously, provide. If I want to dig further and go off on different branches, which I sometimes have time to pursue, I have a great place to start from in your extensive knowledge base. Whats cooler than that? thumb.gif So thanks Tom. Thanks very much.

It's folks like you, Michael, that keep me pumping. I really appreciate your very warm words.

Take care my friend,

Tom
  • Options
    edited June 21, 2011
    jiro wrote: »
    As always, both the shots and story about the cars are top A class, my friend. Red, Fast cars are really a delight in the eyes to look at. :Dthumb.gifthumbthumb.gifthumbthumb.gifclap.gifclapclap.gif

Thanks, my friend. It always means so much when you take the time to pass along a compliment.

Take care brother,

Tom
  • Options
    DogdotsDogdots Registered Users Posts: 8,795 Major grins
    edited June 21, 2011
    Nice lookin' cars thumb.gif

#2 looks just my size and #3 has a neat looking door.
  • Options
    SventekozSventekoz Registered Users Posts: 500 Major grins
    edited June 22, 2011
    Thanks for the stories, and the images. I think they are both wonderful.
    John
  • Options
    edited June 22, 2011
    Dogdots wrote: »
    Nice lookin' cars thumb.gif

#2 looks just my size and #3 has a neat looking door.

And, Mary, it doesn't hurt that #3 is red. Just your style.:D

Tom
  • Options
    edited June 22, 2011
    Sventekoz wrote: »
    Thanks for the stories, and the images. I think they are both wonderful.

Hi John,

I certainly appreciate the kind words.

Your signature line really brings a smile to my face. I was given my first Harley when I was 14. After riding bikes for 56 years, I recently got rid of my last one ( Yamaha FJR 1300 ). I figure I have beaten the odds a long, long time and I better quit before they catch up to me.

If you're a rider, take special care out there,

Tom
  • Options
    edited June 22, 2011
    And, Mary, it doesn't hurt that #3 is red. Just your style.:D

Tom

Yes .. it is my style thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited June 23, 2011
    Dogdots wrote: »
    Yes .. it is my style thumb.gif

You can rest assured, Mary, that when the time of the gathering rolls around, your ride will definitely be red. wings.gif

Tom
  • Options
    edited June 23, 2011
    You can rest assured, Mary, that when the time of the gathering rolls around, your ride will definitely be red. wings.gif

Tom

Yippie wings.gifbarbwings.gif
  • Options
    DJTDJT Registered Users Posts: 353 Major grins
    edited July 8, 2011
    Gone from Dgrin for awhile and come back to more "droolage"........ thanks!
  • Options
    kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,681 moderator
    edited July 10, 2011
    Wow. :wow

Great shots, Tom, amazing cars and thanks for the education on Mr. Kurtis. thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited July 10, 2011
    DJT wrote: »
    Gone from Dgrin for awhile and come back to more "droolage"........ thanks!

Glad to see you back, David.

It's not too hard to appreciate the contributions of Frank Kurtis. Drooling is allowed.:D

Tom
  • Options
    edited July 10, 2011
    kdog wrote: »
    Wow. :wow

Great shots, Tom, amazing cars and thanks for the education on Mr. Kurtis. thumb.gif

Thanks for the kind words, Joel.

I've got a few more shots of Kurtis cars I'll be showing later. That guy Kurtis was a real genius. It's tough to stay at the leading edge of a technical wave....as was the technology of racing during Kurtis's prime...but he did it in a most impressive way.

Take care,

Tom