Options

Woman fixing her hair

berhimwichberhimwich Registered Users Posts: 43 Big grins
edited July 16, 2004 in People
I took a shot of a woman casually fixing her hair. She sounded very depressed about her upcoming wedding plans; you might see a little sadness in her eyes.

6189859-S.jpg

Comments

• Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited July 16, 2004
    ber, it's a sweet moment. It looks like the shot could use more brightness and contrast, do you think? On my monitor it looks uniformly dark, it might look better if she stood out more from her background.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    edited July 16, 2004
    Low contrast is on purpose
    I keep many of my photographs low contrast to give them an old-fashioned look. Looking at many photographs of the past, I have noticed they do not adhere to the Zone System. But if you go on my web site, you will notice, that when a photograph can truly take advantage of a change in contrast, I will do so. In those cases, I increase the contrast dramatically as I did in my darkroom work. But, anyways, I really appreciate your comments. You have replied to many of my posts and seem to be interested in my work.
    wxwax wrote:
    ber, it's a sweet moment. It looks like the shot could use more brightness and contrast, do you think? On my monitor it looks uniformly dark, it might look better if she stood out more from her background.
  • Options
    ShakeyShakey Registered Users Posts: 1,004 Major grins
    edited July 16, 2004
    I was about to ditto Waxy's comments then I saw your reply and looked through your gallery .

You use the low contrast as a style . It is not my style but I can certainly appreciate that it is yours, and your work is excellent.

I look foward to seeing more of your contributions.

Tim
  • Options
    edited July 16, 2004
    Thank you
    I appreciate your kind words. It is funny, because (back in the '90s) when I shot on film, I used to always use a red filter in the darkroom to increase the contrast. If you look in the Friends (1998-2000) section of my site, you'll see some pictures that are literally just black and white (with no shades of gray).

I enjoy the way the low contrast photographs look when printed. There's something exciting about seeing so much subtlety.

Again, I really appreciate what you said.
    Shakey wrote:
    I was about to ditto Waxy's comments then I saw your reply and looked through your gallery .

You use the low contrast as a style . It is not my style but I can certainly appreciate that it is yours, and your work is excellent.

I look foward to seeing more of your contibutions.

Tim
  • Options
    DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited July 16, 2004
    Shakey wrote:

thats a ditto on your ditto thumb.gif
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

• Options
    edited July 16, 2004
    Not quite what you're saying
    I'm not sure whether you're saying my picture is too low contrast or you like it. Either way, it is the style in which I do my photography. They come out beautifully as prints and I enjoy the nuance in texture created by low contrast.

But as always, I appreciate everybody's comments.
    DoctorIt wrote:
    thats a ditto on your ditto thumb.gif
  • Options
    tmlphototmlphoto Registered Users Posts: 1,444 Major grins
    edited July 16, 2004
    berhimwich wrote:
    I'm not sure whether you're saying my picture is too low contrast or you like it. Either way, it is the style in which I do my photography. They come out beautifully as prints and I enjoy the nuance in texture created by low contrast.

But as always, I appreciate everybody's comments.
    I like the low contrast on this shot. Nice moment captured. I like the low key tones.
    Thomas :D

TML Photography
    tmlphoto.com
  • Options
    edited July 16, 2004
    Thanks
    Thank you very much.
    tmlphoto wrote:
    I like the low contrast on this shot. Nice moment captured. I like the low key tones.
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited July 16, 2004
    Got it Ber, my bad, I shoulda checked your site.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    edited July 16, 2004
    Cool
    Yeah, it's hard to understand my style just from looking at one photograph. That's why I enjoy having a Smugmug site. Everybody being unique makes the world great.
    wxwax wrote:
    Got it Ber, my bad, I shoulda checked your site.