Italy Trip, take battery grip yer or no??

rickprickp Registered Users Posts: 346 Major grins
I'm off to Italy for about 8 or 9 days. We'll be going to Venice, Florence, Rome and a few other small places.

I'm planning on traveling as light as I can. All I'm taking is my 5D2, flash, 25-105mm, 16-35mm f.28, a tripod that will be strapped to my backpack, a monopod, that fits in the backpack. I'm also taking a couple of ND filters, a CPL and I'm taking 3 mem cards. That's pretty much it.

So this is my question, should I take my battery grip. I'm thinking NO, for reasons of weight and size, also I don't think I'll really need what it can do for this trip. So what do you guys think? Is there a reason I should take it with me? Am I missing a consideration that I should take it?

Please let me know.

Thanks
R.
Canon 5DMk II | 70-200mm f2.8 IS USM | 24-105mm f4.0 IS USM | 85mm f1.8 prime.

Comments

• eileenreileenr Registered Users Posts: 9 Beginner grinner
    edited June 21, 2011
    How many batteries are you going to bring? One reason you might consider bringing a grip... and the carriage that holds AA batteries, is if your LP-E6 batteries run out of juice / outright malfunction on you, you can more easily and cheaply buy AA batteries in Italy than Canon ones.
  • waywardfoolwaywardfool Registered Users Posts: 42 Big grins
    edited June 21, 2011
    x10....the AA adapter saved my bacon a few weeks ago...I had resigned myself to carrying an expensive rock, then remembered the AA cartridge with lithiums in my bag.
  • glewartglewart Registered Users Posts: 5 Beginner grinner
    edited June 21, 2011
    I don't think you will be too happy carrying all that excess weight from the battery grip especially if you are planning on walking through the streets to get better shots, which I think is the better opinion. And when you choose something like a photography walk, going light is the only way to go. Just bring the battery adapters and I do not think they will be a burden compared to the grip.
  • GlortGlort Registered Users Posts: 1,015 Major grins
    edited June 24, 2011
    I'd Ditch the Monopod and take the grip.
    Or take them both. It's not exactly the size and weight of brick your talking about.
  • JimKarczewskiJimKarczewski Registered Users Posts: 969 Major grins
    edited July 2, 2011
    Take it. Its not like you are hiking the alps where 1/2 a pound is going to make it feel like 20lbs.... And the AA adapter is a great save your a$$ if need be..