A little help identifying this lens (Nikkor)

Mark DickinsonMark Dickinson Registered Users Posts: 337 Major grins
edited June 30, 2011 in Cameras
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/731056-REF/Nikon_2127B_Refurbished_Telephoto_AF_S_Nikkor.html

I am looking to get a 400mm but My technical knowledge even after reading is poor. I am trying to compare it to

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/520639-USA/Nikon_2171_AF_S_Nikkor_400mm_f_2_8G.html

I think the big differences in the two is VR, and Nano Crystal Coating? I may be wrong but was curious to those who may have one.

I am on the phone with BH, but they can't give me any further info like serial no. or year.

Comments

• imageswestimageswest Registered Users Posts: 44 Big grins
    edited June 21, 2011
    http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/731056-REF/Nikon_2127B_Refurbished_Telephoto_AF_S_Nikkor.html

I am looking to get a 400mm but My technical knowledge even after reading is poor. I am trying to compare it to

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/520639-USA/Nikon_2171_AF_S_Nikkor_400mm_f_2_8G.html

I think the big differences in the two is VR, and Nano Crystal Coating? I may be wrong but was curious to those who may have one.

I am on the phone with BH, but they can't give me any further info like serial no. or year.

The demo lens at B&H is a 2005-2006 vintage lens (assuming their description is correct). It was discontinued in 2007 and replaced with the VR version.

Considering how scarce copies of the VR version are, it might be a good choice, but personally I don't know if I would be willing to spend that much on a lens that isn't current, especially if it doesn't have VR.
  • TpsfotoTpsfoto Registered Users Posts: 175 Major grins
    edited June 21, 2011
    400mm
    The AFS-II pictured is a fantasic lens..... I own the model just before that .....AFS-1
    It is priced a little high but Nikon does repair all of these.... as for lack of VR , you do not need VR on a super tele .... VR is basically needed if you are hand holding a lens.... no one hand holds a 400mm F2.8. I use a monopod or gimbal head on a tripod. That lens should price at $6000.00-$7000.00

Good luck finding one as they are very rare to come up used.

Larry
    tpsfoto
  • DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited June 22, 2011
    I've moved this thread out of the Flea Market and into the proper Gear forum - you should get more detailed information/discussion here.
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

• Mark DickinsonMark Dickinson Registered Users Posts: 337 Major grins
    edited June 24, 2011
    Thank you Doctor, west and Tps. I figured here because (and I should have said I am looking for one). I can see that theyu are priced higher, but since you cant get the new versions im sure the demand will say the price might go higher if they dont make more any time soon :(
    edited June 24, 2011
  • Matthew SavilleMatthew Saville Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,352 Major grins
    edited June 25, 2011
    I'd rather get a 200 f/2 VR and a 2x converter. :-)

=Matt=
    My first thought is always of light.” – Galen Rowell
    My SmugMug PortfolioMy Astro-Landscape Photo BlogDgrin Weddings Forum
  • DsrtVWDsrtVW Registered Users Posts: 1,991 Major grins
    edited June 25, 2011
    I'd rather get a 200 f/2 VR and a 2x converter. :-)

=Matt=
    I second that. I shoot that combo and it is sweet. You can get a new 200mm f2 VRII and TC-20E III . I bought the VR I version Used for 3400.00 best money I ever spent.
    Chris K. NANPA Member
    http://kadvantage.smugmug.com/
    edited June 25, 2011
    Very nice ideas
    I wanted to do that, and i might end up getting canons 200. And tele since my 5dii has higher mpx. I went ahead and bit the bullet and got a new one at jr.com, bh was out. I got 300.00 off of it because of ultimate rewards with chase at opts per dollar lol.

So now I guess it's monopodtime. I need to take my research to bh or somewhere and evaluate canons 200 v nikons

Thanksfor the help
    edited June 25, 2011
    DsrtVW wrote: »
    I second that. I shoot that combo and it is sweet. You can get a new 200mm f2 VRII and TC-20E III . I bought the VR I version Used for 3400.00 best money I ever spent.

The focus and clarity still sharp right? Autofocus work up to f8 as I was. Told? Maybe I was hearing the guy wrong. F2.0 + tele or any lens plus tele has to be under f8 for af to work
  • ThatCanonGuyThatCanonGuy Registered Users Posts: 1,778 Major grins
    edited June 25, 2011
    The focus and clarity still sharp right? Autofocus work up to f8 as I was. Told? Maybe I was hearing the guy wrong. F2.0 + tele or any lens plus tele has to be under f8 for af to work

Only 1-Series bodies AF at f8. f2 + tele is no problem, a 1.4x would cost you a stop, and a 2x tele would cost you two. Still under f8. If you just SET the aperture to f8, it will still work, because the camera keeps the aperture wide open until you press the shutter button, when it stops down to whatever you have set.
  • puzzledpaulpuzzledpaul Registered Users Posts: 1,621 Major grins
    edited June 25, 2011
    Yes, 1D series AF @ f8, but centre point only (I assume other 1D models are the same as mine, 1Dm3)

A '400 f4' would be fine :)

pp
  • Matthew SavilleMatthew Saville Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,352 Major grins
    edited June 25, 2011
    Yes, just to expand on my initial comment that brought up the 200 f/2.0 and teleconverters:

* Everyone I have talked to who has used the 200 f/2.0 with a 1.4x or 2.0x teleconverter has said they LOVE the combo, and the difference in sharpness is practically impossible to notice.

* The whole reason I suggest such a combo is NOT so much for wildlife shooters; if you shoot wildlife you may very well be better off with 400 f/2.8 at your disposal, instead of the equivalent of 400mm f/4. The main reason to buy a 200 f/2.0 instead is, in my opinion, for sports and event photographers who actually NEED a quality 200mm lens. For example, basketball, volleyball, and gymnastics are three sports where you're not ALWAYS a hundred yards away from your subject, in fact quite often they are just a few yards away. Having 200mm f/2.0, on full-frame, is a very valuable tool.

* As far as I can tell from testing ALL THREE of the legendary 200mm lenses, the Canon 200 f/1.8, Canon 200 f/2.0 IS, and the Nikon 200 f/2.0 VR, ...I think they are all stellar image-makers and you simply cannot go wrong buying any of those lenses.

=Matt=
    My first thought is always of light.” – Galen Rowell
    My SmugMug PortfolioMy Astro-Landscape Photo BlogDgrin Weddings Forum
    edited June 25, 2011
    Thanks a bunch for the info, Matt yes i agree its a beautiful lens, i think I'll be picking that one up too, all thereview vidsshow this 400 focus so fast, and the 200 as well. I cant wait to try it. I'll be using it for surf, and snowboarding
  • ThatCanonGuyThatCanonGuy Registered Users Posts: 1,778 Major grins
    edited June 25, 2011
    I'd love a 200 f2 (who wouldn't). A big plus is that it's also a 300 2.8 (with a 1.4x). And 400 f4 of course. Then again it costs about twice as much as a 300 2.8.
    edited June 30, 2011
    I'd love a 200 f2 (who wouldn't). A big plus is that it's also a 300 2.8 (with a 1.4x). And 400 f4 of course. Then again it costs about twice as much as a 300 2.8.

So true, i flew into ny this weekend checked the 200 out, it was dumb heavy, but fast focus for nikon. Very fast, I'm sure with canon too but love both cameras just went with nikon for some reason, I'll have a teleC soon for the ;400. I'm planning on doing events that are in demand for that stele of shooting.