Elusive Goldfinch

konomaniackonomaniac Registered Users Posts: 335 Major grins
edited June 22, 2011 in Other Cool Shots
I finally got some decent shots of this guy.

WSBC0127-M.jpg

sharing space with a purple finch
WSBC0373-M.jpg

his better half
WSBC0406-M.jpg

the happy couple
WSBC0408-M.jpg
--- Kono ---
Pentax K-x and assorted lenses

Comments

• SventekozSventekoz Registered Users Posts: 500 Major grins
    edited June 21, 2011
    Nice captures. May I ask where you bought the bird feeder?
    John
  • konomaniackonomaniac Registered Users Posts: 335 Major grins
    edited June 21, 2011
    We got it at a local store - after trying a couple of cheaper feeders (the seed got wet and actually started growing in the feeder), we opted for this one. It's a Droll Yankee - their website is http://www.drollyankees.com - They have a lot of different sizes and shapes - but the nice thing is that it seems to be water tight and the food stays dry.
    --- Kono ---
  • SventekozSventekoz Registered Users Posts: 500 Major grins
    edited June 21, 2011
    Thanks for that.
    John
  • DogdotsDogdots Registered Users Posts: 8,795 Major grins
    edited June 21, 2011
    Lucky you ... I've tried with no success at grabbing a photo of these fast buggers :D

Checked out the feeder ... I like the bottom of it. Stops all the mess on the ground. Going to get one thumb.gif
    edited June 21, 2011
    Dogdots wrote: »
    Lucky you ... I've tried with no success at grabbing a photo of these fast buggers :D

Checked out the feeder ... I like the bottom of it. Stops all the mess on the ground. Going to get one thumb.gif

They have different size trays for the bottom - I had a small one, but I'd like to see some cardinals find it eventually, so I bought a larger one.

I tried to get some shots of them on my own, but they always flew off as soon as I poked my head (and camera) around the corner. Even with the birdcam, I had to decrease the time between activity and increase the number of shots before I was able to get some good shots - for a while, I thought it was part ghost.
    --- Kono ---
    edited June 22, 2011
    konomaniac wrote: »
    They have different size trays for the bottom - I had a small one, but I'd like to see some cardinals find it eventually, so I bought a larger one.

I tried to get some shots of them on my own, but they always flew off as soon as I poked my head (and camera) around the corner. Even with the birdcam, I had to decrease the time between activity and increase the number of shots before I was able to get some good shots - for a while, I thought it was part ghost.

I'll get the larger one. Thanks for the advice. I too would like to see the Cardinals land. I can hear them, but they won't come in to feed.

Laughing.gif on the peeking around the corner to grab a photo. I sometimes will remove the screen from my computer room window to grab some photos. Even have tried a hunting blind in the back yard rolleyes1.gif
    edited June 22, 2011
    The feeder got pretty busy this morning

Lazy woodpeckers??
    WSBC0242-M.jpg

A little crowded
    WSBC0233-M.jpg
    --- Kono ---
    edited June 22, 2011
    Nice to have so many birds at the feeder. A woodpecker to boot too thumb.gif