Canon 1D MKIII for weddings?

bloomphotogbloomphotog Registered Users Posts: 582 Major grins
edited June 23, 2011 in Cameras
Recently switching to a 5D MK2 (from D700), I really miss having a great AF system. I would love to get some feedback from you 1D'ers out there. I've got all the good glass, but just want way faster handing and AF. The 1DS it out of my price range, sorry.

Comments

• Matthew SavilleMatthew Saville Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,352 Major grins
    edited June 21, 2011
    Yep, a 1-series is honestly the only acceptable replacement for a Nikon. ;-)

Okay, I shouldn't say "acceptable replacement", actually I almost PREFER the 45-point AF in Canon bodies over Nikon's 51 point system. Especially in Canon's 1.3x crop sensor bodies, the ISO performance is still GREAT and the 1.3x crop puts the AF points at PERFECT junctures around the viewfinder. I highly recommend only using a 5D mk2 for the posed, controlled portrait etc. situations, and getting a used 1D mk3 or 1Ds mk3 for the real photojournalism and low-light / action stuff. You will not be disappointed! Of course I'd still take my D700 any day for the functionality and customizability, but I know it's lacking in other areas that may be unacceptable to some...

=Matt=
    My first thought is always of light.” – Galen Rowell
    My SmugMug PortfolioMy Astro-Landscape Photo BlogDgrin Weddings Forum
  • ThatCanonGuyThatCanonGuy Registered Users Posts: 1,778 Major grins
    edited June 22, 2011
    Actually, if you don't mind 2 fewer mp's and 2 fewer fps, you may want to consider the mk2 N. While it has a smaller screen, it's still an excellent camera. The mk3 has so many AF custom functions that you have to understand and set just right... my mk2 has like 2 CFs that have to do with AF :)
  • puzzledpaulpuzzledpaul Registered Users Posts: 1,621 Major grins
    edited June 23, 2011
    I've zero experience with wedding pix, but have been using a 1Dm3 for about 16months (and 2/3 days loan of a m2, before buying the m3)
    AF point location (for my purposes) is far more useful than the diamond arrangement on other non 1D bodies (also have / use a 40D)
    It'd be even better (fmp) if the AF point could be placed anywhere in the vf for dynamic situations.

Yes, getting the best from any cam - especially a complex one such as m3 requires spending a bit of time - I'd prefer to have the (extra) options than not :)

Yes, the m2 was / is a great cam - but there's more differences that need looking at (sensor cleaning / different ergonomics to name two more) to decide whether its suitable for your purpose.

Whilst I also have zero experience with Nikon, I'm surprised you're dumping the D700, as, by all accounts it's a great all round choice - and being FF where extended reach / crop factor is less of an issue - excellent for weddings, I'd have thought?

Main difficulties I have re getting / keeping an AF lock with mine is when taking low level (lens centreline being approx 5in above water) pics of subjects on water, in less than ideal conditions, where the focus point is sometimes even lower - I suspect weddings would pose few(er) problems of this nature :)

I like how the AF point access / move system works - but again, can't compare with Nikon.

If you have any specific points, I'll try and answer if I can / have any experience of them.

pp